How to stop periods | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to stop periods

Hi,
    So i have been suffering heavier periods for the past year. I hate having them every month and would love to be able to stop them every month.
    I have had a tubal Lig done almost two years ago, i am done with children. I am 32 and other then heavier periods have no other period related issues.
    What have others chosen to do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've got a Mirena IUD in, and after 6 months my AF stopped for the most part. One day a month I get a smudge of brown blood/discharge, so I wear a liner that day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You could take the oral contraceptive pill. A monophasic pill (such as Diane-ED) should reduce your flow significantly. Obviously you need to discuss this with your GP, and ensure you have no contraindications, etc.
    You can take the monophasic pill continuously for several months, ie. skip the sugar pills, and have a period when it suits you. Many women choose to have a period only 1-2 per year, and in most instances, this is fine, and won't result in heavier bleeds when you do have them.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (22-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    You could take the oral contraceptive pill. A monophasic pill (such as Diane-ED) should reduce your flow significantly. Obviously you need to discuss this with your GP, and ensure you have no contraindications, etc.
    You can take the monophasic pill continuously for several months, ie. skip the sugar pills, and have a period when it suits you. Many women choose to have a period only 1-2 per year, and in most instances, this is fine, and won't result in heavier bleeds when you do have them.

This is what I used to do as I had heavy painful periods. I used to take it continuously (was on Yasmin OCP) and have 3-4 periods a year with no issues.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

J37  (22-06-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (22-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a pill out there called Yaz - it only has 4 sugar pills, so reduces your AF to a couple of days. It's designed for women who have an awful time during AF. You can do say 3 cycles consecutive, then take the sugar pills for 1 AF every few months.
    It's expensive though - around $90 for 3 month supply
    Maybe have a chat to your GP about options.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

J37  (22-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, from a physiological point of view it is quite dangerous to stop your periods hon. If your periods are very heavy there's most likely something else going on... I would be looking into that first. I have had this problem from age 15-18, when I recall having to wear a pad AND a tampon at times. It was awful. I ended up taking Vitex (Chasetree), which my naturopath/yoga teacher friend recommended for me and IMO is absolutely magical and an all natural approach to helping regulate your hormones. I also suffered severe acne for many years and after taking this for a few months eight years ago I haven't had a single pimple since and my periods are normal and arrive like clockwork. Good luck ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkyMama View Post
    Hi there, from a physiological point of view it is quite dangerous to stop your periods hon. If your periods are very heavy there's most likely something else going on... I would be looking into that first. I have had this problem from age 15-18, when I recall having to wear a pad AND a tampon at times. It was awful. I ended up taking Vitex (Chasetree), which my naturopath/yoga teacher friend recommended for me and IMO is absolutely magical and an all natural approach to helping regulate your hormones. I also suffered severe acne for many years and after taking this for a few months eight years ago I haven't had a single pimple since and my periods are normal and arrive like clockwork. Good luck ☺️
    This is absolutely incorrect. If the OP has no other gynaecological issues, then using the OCP to reduce the severity and frequency of her bleeds, is absolutely fine. As the OP has had a recent tubal ligation, she has clearly had a recent OBGYN review, and any other pathology would have been brought to her attention.

Natural remedies are all very well, but they do not take the place of correct medical advice. I have no problem with my patients using natural therapies as a complementary medicine.

For the record, the monophasic pill has the added therapeutic benefit of reduced pimples/oily skin also, for the majority of patients.

11. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (24-06-2016),babybeeno1  (22-06-2016),babyno1onboard  (22-06-2016),BettyV  (22-06-2016),BettyW  (22-06-2016),bpac  (22-06-2016),Gentoo  (22-06-2016),HeavenBlue  (24-06-2016),loodle  (22-06-2016),Mrs Snowman  (22-06-2016),Olive Oil  (22-06-2016),Once Upon a Time  (24-06-2016),Radio  (22-06-2016),Rocky27  (22-06-2016),rosey82  (22-06-2016),rusty22  (22-06-2016),turquoisecoast  (24-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried to use the OCP (Levlen) to skip periods (when I used to have horrible heavy ones) but it never worked for me. It might delay it by a few days, but my body just refused to play along and I'd bleed regardless. Some people have great success with it, though, so it's worth a shot.

I hope you find a solution - heavy periods are awful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there anything else besides the pill that can reduce the severity of bleeding. I can't leave the house sometimes and don't react well to the pill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post
    Is there anything else besides the pill that can reduce the severity of bleeding. I can't leave the house sometimes and don't react well to the pill.
    I had issues with the pill, too.
    My gyno put me on 5mg progesterone only tablets (they're not a contraceptive) and they eased the pain and heaviness significantly. Because I responded well to those, he then suggested the Mirena IUD, as it's a lower dose of progesterone, but targeted so just as effective, and there's the bonus of it being a contraceptive.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Olive Oil  (22-06-2016)