+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Why won't my baby feed more??

Hi mums

I'm hoping someone has been in a similar situation and can offer me a light at the end of the tunnel.

I have an 8wo who has never been a great feeder. She's basically been a restless feeder since birth, never really settling into a pattern and feeding for any lengths of time. When she's breastfed she's never really gotten over 5 minutes and if in a bottle no more than 50ml. And as such, she's obviously not putting on weight like she should be.

Our initial though was reflux so we have her on Losec but my doc now suspects it might be a cows milk intolerance so we've moved her purely into Dairy (and soy) free formula. We are also waiting to see a paediatrician to see what they think.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? No obviously reason why your babies are not great feeders. I feel like we're missing something but I don't know what! I've also seen a lactation consultant to rule out latching problems etc.

Many thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My brother was never a good feeder. Struggled for more than 30 seconds or so at a time. It turned out to he his nose as he wasn't able to breath very well through his nose so would break latch to take bigger breaths through his mouth. Unfortunately it was undiagnosed until school when they eventually picked up a hearing issue and then connected the ear/nose/throat issues. This was obviously a long time ago as he's an adult now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How much weight is she putting on per week?

Is she generally happy or cranky? What are her poos like?

Does she feed often but drink a little or drink a little not very often?

Some babies gain weight differently than others. Also some do not get into a feeding routine so just feed randomly on demand (this is my DD and she is 10 weeks).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Tongue tie could be causing this and is very frequently misdiagnosed. Have a read of this article and see what you think

http://www.tinysparkswa.org.au/blog/...-upper-lip-tie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, appreciate all your replies.

RedCreamingSoda - my older child had a lip tie but everyone I've asked assures me my baby girl doesn't. She does however have a lip tie, to what severity I'm unsure but I will be asking the paediatrician when we see one shortly (my GP is in process of booking us an appt). After reading stories though about releasing the lip ties through laser I don't like the sound of it.

Twinklify - her weight gain is up and down but generally under 100g per week (and everyone wants 150+). She's mostly a happy baby and sleeps ok, only restless and unhappy when feeding! Apart from the moment though as she also has Bronchialitis to add to everything. After putting her onto formula only her poos are soft, a little bit slimy and mustardy in colour. And smell awful! (Sorry TMI).

It seems no matter whether I feed her every 90 min or every 5 hours (if I let her go that long overnight when I generally don't) she will only drink after the 50ml mark every time. Very occasionally more, often less though.

SoReady - thanks for the tip, something to remember. There's so many things it could be!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just came on BH to ask the very same question about my now 13 week old.

His weight gain isn't great. He's a smaller baby, and is now at 4.9kgs which puts him on the 3rd percentile (he was born on the 5th percentile so not a massive jump back). He was diagnosed with a tongue tie as RCS had asked about. I had it snipped but it wasn't snipped enough. I saw two separate lactation consultants before considering the snip both of which agreed his milk transfer was sufficient and his click was due to a high palate which a tongue tie release is not guaranteed to fix. I ummed and ahhed about having the rest of his tongue tie lasered and settled on seeing a dentist about it just to get an opinion. I don't think I will bother having it released.

Anyway, I guess I'm just trying to say as long as your baby is having wet nappies, is gaining and not losing.. Is meeting milestones and is otherwise content I wouldn't stress about it

Oh and I'm lucky if my DS feeds for longer than what seems like 2 mins! They become more efficient as they get older.

Your AF may also be returning and so maybe bub doesnt like the taste of your milk at the moment. Try a dream feed over night
    Last edited by SookiLala; 22-06-2016 at 21:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is bub still on Losec or has that stopped? Your bub sounds like mine, and she improved when we changed to bellamy's formula and changed from avent bottles to a faster flow teat on tommee tippee bottles. I think the paediatrician appointment is a good idea. If there is a waiting list you can usually ask to go on a cancellation list. Go with your mummy gut feeling if you think something's not right

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bel3466 - yep still on Losec and will stay on it for the time being.

Ummlnayah - thank you for your reassuring words I do usually do a dream feed and try and feed her every 3 hours overnight just to get calories into her. She's unfortunately had Bronchiolitis this week and lost 35g so hasn't been a great week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsABC View Post
    She's unfortunately had Bronchiolitis this week and lost 35g so hasn't been a great week.
    I'm sorry to hear she isn't well. Hopefully she will gain the weight back quickly and then some!