+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    No advice, just support really. Dealing with tantrums, toddlers constantly changing their mind, the clinginess - it's all so draining at the best of times. Be gentle on yourself if you do lose the plot from time to time!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clbj For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (22-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    hugs hasselhoff. putting a different slant on things, could DS be upset because he is feeling your stress?? This move has only been a week or two ago, so there has not been enough time for anyone to be feeling settled. We moved a few times while the children were small, it was very stressful and oh so hard for me. Twice I had to do all the packing and unpacking on my own, with three little ones and then again with four kids. Please try to just take each day as it comes. I would really expect at least three months before you are all feeling settled and at ease in your new place. Hugs, marie.
    Thank you Marie, your words are always so kind X
    I think it is quite possible my stress is getting to him as well. I am trying to very hard to remain calm.
    I did all the packing and unpacking myself so have felt extremely stressed by it and maybe it's bothered him.
    Thank you. Hugs.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (24-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Hugs it's really hard. DS1 didn't start taking (other than a few basic words) until a few months after turning 2 (I don't remember exactly how long), and once he started there was no stopping him. He is now 4 and does. Not. Stop! Although he was never a major tantrum kid he was a screamer and behaviour definitely improved dramatically once he could communicate more effectively. I do think there's the transition from toddler into little boy happening at this age too which is hard on us parents because we're not always sure whether to treat them as a baby or as a child... It's a transition period for everyone.

If you only moved a week ago give it some more time, as others have already suggested the stress of moving affects the whole family and he would be picking up on this also, it takes time to resettle after a holiday, let alone a full move. It does sound like it's lots of things all at once.

Look after yourself and get a break/help where you can, you will get through. Hugs x
    Thank you, I do agree with the transition between baby and child as such. I think both DF and I treat him more like a baby because he doesn't really talk. We've made an appointment with the speech pathologist in a couple of weeks. I think it will help him because he does try so hard.

I'm trying to take time to myself but unfortunately DF is working A lot but I'll get chances thank you again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Marchbundle View Post
    My DD1 didn't talk for ages. Wasn't saying much at two, the odd word here and there. She had to repeat Prep as her teacher didn't think she was ready developmentally for grade 1. She wasn't talking in kindy or first year of prep. Her peers were amazed to hear her talk one day when I was there for group work lol.

Your little man will more than likely just take off one day. My DD1 doesn't stop talking now lol.
    Thank you. I am hoping this is the case. Figured a speech pathologist can't hurt. If she is happy to wait him out then we will.
    Your little girl sounds like my brother lol he didn't speak much at all for many years.

I'm sure i will lose my mind when he does start talking lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

Marchbundle  (23-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by clbj View Post
    No advice, just support really. Dealing with tantrums, toddlers constantly changing their mind, the clinginess - it's all so draining at the best of times. Be gentle on yourself if you do lose the plot from time to time!
    Thank you so very much. Got a little tear reading that. Means a lot to have so much support from everyone.
    I think I'm losing the plot a lot

Thanks
    Reviews

Default DS struggling after moving house

Rather than start a new thread...
    I'm really looking for some help.

DS has absolutely crushed me the last couple of months.
    So firstly - DS was 2 in February. He has limited speech and we are seeing a speech pathologist in a couple of weeks.

I am forever having to yell at him. If he decides to even listen to me he will still do whatever it is I've said not to do. Usually I'm ignored, half the time he might hurt himself so I'm trying to get him to stop and end up nearly screaming the windows out to get him to stop. I struggle with the fact I can literally say not to do something 20 times and he will still do it. I understand it's probably related to his age and to the fact he doesn't speak much but I am seriously a wreck trying to deal with it, I'm getting so angry I am either crying or screaming at him. I have resorted to smacking him on the bum when I am trying so hard to get him to stop doing something and he continues to do it. He usually laughs at this. If he cries it's literally a second and he goes and does something else. He's trying to break things - his toys etc. he's forever screaming at me and trying to hit me with toys now. I understand my stress is probably bothering him but what can I do?
    I seriously can't leave the room for a minute (going to the toilet for example) without him doing something. DS has a diet that is less than ideal, I have wondered if maybe it could be food related as well. I try everyday with veggies and fruit. I've been hiding them in things and occasionally I win but not a lot.
    I don't know if someone has some idea of how I can encourage him to behave (as such.) I understand he will be naughty at times, every 5 minutes is beyond a joke. I can't cope much longer. Does anyone have some strategies?? I don't want to be 'that mum' who is forever screaming at her kid because she's effin hopeless. I feel like such a failure, I need help. Please.
    Last edited by Hasselhoff; 03-07-2016 at 19:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh dear Firstly, I still really have nothing to offer apart from a giant hug, and a virtual glass of wine. My DS is nearly 3, pretty much "normal" and I still need to run away for a break sometimes. By sometimes, I mean for short spells every day!! Earlier today I hid in the toilet for 5 minutes (ok - 15 minutes), and right now I'm in the stables with the horses, listening to them eat and recharging my patience battery before "bedtime". Thank goodness DH is home, but I'm bracing myself for what I'll find when I re-enter reality. The point is, if your DS is more challenging, and you can't relax/hide in toilet for 5 minutes (or hug a horse), then even a saint would start to crack. Seriously, vent here all you want.

Is the day care situation settling down? Any chance of 2 days/week - to give you a breather, but also to give him a chance to adapt better to the routine there? Are the carers at daycare helpful in giving you feedback on his behaviour there? I work PT and DS is in family day care whilst I work. The educator is amazing - supportive, and reassuring about what is normal and what we can work on. The other mums there are great too and I am so glad they are my "village". I hope you have something like this, or family/friends who have been through the toddler phase and can give you some support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm so sorry, it's so stressful.

I have this frustration. I have 2 under 2 and find myself in tears sometimes with my eldest. He seems so engrossed in whatever he is doing, I simply don't exist.

I have a few strategies that seem to work 7 out of 10 times.

1. I pick my battles. If he's safe and making a mess, blah, We'll clean up later.

2. If he's doing something naughty and he doesn't hear my "no, stop" I go up to him, kneel down to his level quietly and calmly say stop, this is the consequence but let's do this instead. It seems to work a bit.

3. If he tantrums, I generally dont cave. I let him scream for a minute, kneel down eye to eye and softly try and calm him down. I often do this by giving him a choice. "If you stop, we can do some drawing or we can do some baking, what would you like?" This also seems to work.

It was like a revelation to me, I was having a very bad day with him... I'm ashamed of how I shouted at him... Every single "no" was like a challenge accepted. He looked at me and smiled. His little world revolves around the very thing he's focused on. He has no clue why I'm getting so upset. He needs me to be calm for him to respond, it works for him and I tell you, my stress level has reduced immensely.

In saying that, we still have meltdowns that spiral and then it's every man for himself.

I hope this is a little helpful X

Thanks
    Reviews
    "Pick your battles" is a great rule to live by!!

Did you see this? It was shared on Maggie Dent's Facebook page. There's some great stuff on there

http://www.heysigmund.com/developmental-stage/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maggie dent is phenomenal. She is so passionate about boys in particular and has SO much good practical advice.

A huge thing you need to do and quickly is take a break, pamper yourself, recharge. Do it now!