+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Picture book with real life pictures of the old house and new house with your DS in some of the photos. Read it every night and put a positive spin on the new house.

Weekly routine picture chart showing what activities you do on certain days (daycare, sport, library etc). Any chance of upping daycare to 2 days? 1 day might be dificult for your DS to get into a routine especially during a period of perceived uncertainty
    Thanks. We did talk about the move with him for a couple of weeks before we moved. It is going to be our new adventure.
    We looked in to going 2 days at daycare but we just can't afford that at the moment. He was loving his time before we moved and now he's gone back to crying all day.
    We are going to try out play group tomorrow. Hoping it will help him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Marchbundle View Post
    He is only 2 and has gone through a massive change in his environment. Give him time to adjust. As adults we expect too much from our little ones. As for tantrums, they are a part of toddler life. With a limited vocabulary he hasn't got any other way to express himself. Moving house sux, I have done it more times than I care to remember as a child and an adult but it is also exciting. Your little man will calm down in time once you settle in. If it's chaotic for you right now, it will be for him as well.
    I do agree it's been a massive change and I do think we didn't realise how much it would bother him. He has never moved house before. This was the first time so it would be stressful. Just trying to work out how to make it more comfortable for him.
    I do know his tantrums are part of being 2 lol. I do think they wouldn't be so bad if he could speak more but unfortunately that's not happening yet. We have a referral for a speech pathologist but wanted to let things settle down after moving first and then go. Starting to think we should just go and see how he does. His tantrums do seem a lot worse after moving that's all.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

Marchbundle  (22-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    We moved 3 times before DS turned 2 (the last time just before he turned 2). We didn't have any issues with the moves, but that's not to say all kids will be like that.

I would be inclined to say it's more age related. 2 Yr olds get frustrated because they can't quite communicate what they want yet understand so much of what we are saying. Combine that with a bit of illness and you have a recipe for a cranky toddler! The change in environment might be adding a little insecurity also.

How long has it been going on for? Do what you can to make him feel comfortable and happy in his new environment and focus on trying to help him communicate and understand what he wants/needs. I wouldn't over analyse at this stage. They don't call it the 'terrible twos' for nothing!
    I do think his age adds to it. I think not being able to communicate is making it so much worse. I am trying to keep my cool but oh my god I'm losing it

We've only moved a bit over a week ago, he's been sick on and off for a month and his tantrums have been going since the day he turned 2 lol. They've just gotten much worse in the last week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    We have moved 4 times in DD & DS life and dd is 3.

She has been a bit of a brat and I just go with things like if you help me do dish washer etc.

DS is 2. He's bit more complex. He loves the washing machine. He will push washing basket and shove it all in machine.

He will over feed the dog.

I try and stimulate them so they aren't acting up.

Are you working? We Skype there dad 2 X a day. Printed photos on a lanyard and they walk around with them as necklaces when they choose.

Do u have any animals
    This is our first time moving with DS so it's a bit of a shock for all of us. DF and I have moved plenty of times but never with a child.
    I've been trying to get him more involved and sometimes he's loving it. Other times I might as well talk to myself. I'm sure a lot of it is to do with his age but I'm just hoping me losing my mind is not going to continue. I'm trying to keep him busy when we are stuck at home but there's only so much we can do when it's freezing and raining. He loves outside.

I'm not working. Part of me wants to but it's not exactly beneficial to us financially. DF is a shift worker so could be on nights or days but we try to avoid talking to him at work.

Yes, we have 2 dogs and 2 cats. DS loves them. The dogs are German shepherds so he can play with them but it can be a bit of a battle lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Do you give him the option of making some of his own choices? Being in control of something may help a little (I am talking about choices about clothes, food (to an extent), toys etc etc). Maybe giving him a choice between 3 things may help with some tantrums.
    I do try to let him have a choice with things and it usually ends up with stuffing around for 20 minutes while he doesn't make a choice lol I will try to give him more choice. His food choices are so limited anyway it couldn't get much worse. He barely eats anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    I do try to let him have a choice with things and it usually ends up with stuffing around for 20 minutes while he doesn't make a choice lol I will try to give him more choice. His food choices are so limited anyway it couldn't get much worse. He barely eats anything.
    My DS is 3 - he still faffs about with decisions.

One thing we tried that kinda worked with DS was a reward chart of sorts. Very very basic (we have a magnet one). We did easy stuff like 'get dressed', 'brush teeth' etc. It helped a little on some days to hurry up decisions and the tantrums as he knew he had to do them.

I am not going to lie. It is so hard. I lost my mind and the plot with DS so many times. It did not matter that I KNEW it was not on purpose. It just wears you down - DH did not understand as he did not have it all day every day.

It will get better - I think maybe getting the speech/hearing checked sooner is probably a good idea. I will point out my DS does not have hearing/speech issues now. He started talking more/properly at about 2.5. Now he does not stop.

Hugs. Its hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    My DS is 3 - he still faffs about with decisions.

One thing we tried that kinda worked with DS was a reward chart of sorts. Very very basic (we have a magnet one). We did easy stuff like 'get dressed', 'brush teeth' etc. It helped a little on some days to hurry up decisions and the tantrums as he knew he had to do them.

I am not going to lie. It is so hard. I lost my mind and the plot with DS so many times. It did not matter that I KNEW it was not on purpose. It just wears you down - DH did not understand as he did not have it all day every day.

It will get better - I think maybe getting the speech/hearing checked sooner is probably a good idea. I will point out my DS does not have hearing/speech issues now. He started talking more/properly at about 2.5. Now he does not stop.

Hugs. Its hard.
    Thank you. DF just keeps apologising, he hasn't got a reason to but he knows I'm so stressed out. I'm trying so hard to not scream at him. I really am feeling at my wits end. I'm trying so hard to stay calm. Family keep telling me that when I accept DS is like this it will be easier. I'm so offended by this I'm trying so hard and to be told that seems like I'm not trying hard enough.

He did have his hearing checked maybe 6 months ago? The lady said it was good. As good as she could check it at his ages. I've ring the speech pathologist and I'm just waiting for her to ring back for an appointment.
    I kinda just wanna cry all day

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hugs hasselhoff. putting a different slant on things, could DS be upset because he is feeling your stress?? This move has only been a week or two ago, so there has not been enough time for anyone to be feeling settled. We moved a few times while the children were small, it was very stressful and oh so hard for me. Twice I had to do all the packing and unpacking on my own, with three little ones and then again with four kids. Please try to just take each day as it comes. I would really expect at least three months before you are all feeling settled and at ease in your new place. Hugs, marie.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (22-06-2016),VicPark  (22-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    I do think his age adds to it. I think not being able to communicate is making it so much worse. I am trying to keep my cool but oh my god I'm losing it

We've only moved a bit over a week ago, he's been sick on and off for a month and his tantrums have been going since the day he turned 2 lol. They've just gotten much worse in the last week.
    Hugs it's really hard. DS1 didn't start taking (other than a few basic words) until a few months after turning 2 (I don't remember exactly how long), and once he started there was no stopping him. He is now 4 and does. Not. Stop! Although he was never a major tantrum kid he was a screamer and behaviour definitely improved dramatically once he could communicate more effectively. I do think there's the transition from toddler into little boy happening at this age too which is hard on us parents because we're not always sure whether to treat them as a baby or as a child... It's a transition period for everyone.

If you only moved a week ago give it some more time, as others have already suggested the stress of moving affects the whole family and he would be picking up on this also, it takes time to resettle after a holiday, let alone a full move. It does sound like it's lots of things all at once.

Look after yourself and get a break/help where you can, you will get through. Hugs x

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD1 didn't talk for ages. Wasn't saying much at two, the odd word here and there. She had to repeat Prep as her teacher didn't think she was ready developmentally for grade 1. She wasn't talking in kindy or first year of prep. Her peers were amazed to hear her talk one day when I was there for group work lol.

Your little man will more than likely just take off one day. My DD1 doesn't stop talking now lol.