+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default DS struggling after moving house

I'm just wondering if anyone can help me with some ideas to help DS settle.
    We moved house just over a week ago and he is struggling to settle and behave (I guess you could say) he is having the biggest tantrums I've ever seen, he's upset at the drop of a hat, if we tell him no it's the end of the world. I do understand that a lot of it is to do with age (he's 2 with limited vocab) but he is so out of sorts. He goes to day care 1 day a week and he loves it. Always happy at drop off but day care have said he's now crying all day. Last week I picked him up early because they went outside and he wouldn't play, was extremely upset, wouldn't eat etc. assumed he was getting sick, he's not overly unwell. Slight runny nose, crappy cough but other than that nothing. We are just struggling to work out if his moods are to do with moving or something else.

Any advice or tips would be great.

Hopefully this made sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have not moved with DS but we did have a baby. And that was bad enough!

He went from happy to go to childcare to screaming (like he would hold onto furniture while trying to get him out the door while screaming and taking off his clothes.

So, he would probably feel pretty lost. Are there a lot of familiar things around him yet? I would give him some time - it took at least a month for DS to settle down completely.

How is sleep?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh gosh. Remind me not to have another baby for awhile lol.

Apparently DS has been clinging to one carers leg and being a shadow all day. Struggling with transition again. Happy to play outside today but losing it everytime that had to change what they were doing.

We have all our normal stuff, all his toys (and some new ones) his bedroom is a bit boring compared to his last one (no wall stickers etc)
    Thanks! We are kinda expecting it to take awhile but hoping it wouldn't lol he's hard to deal with. I don't want to be cranky at him.

His sleep is ok. He's been having massive tantrums before bed time but he was doing that before we moved. They've just gotten worse. He's having a bit of broken sleep due to coughing but we give him his puffer and he usually fixes up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Picture book with real life pictures of the old house and new house with your DS in some of the photos. Read it every night and put a positive spin on the new house.

Weekly routine picture chart showing what activities you do on certain days (daycare, sport, library etc). Any chance of upping daycare to 2 days? 1 day might be dificult for your DS to get into a routine especially during a period of perceived uncertainty

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is only 2 and has gone through a massive change in his environment. Give him time to adjust. As adults we expect too much from our little ones. As for tantrums, they are a part of toddler life. With a limited vocabulary he hasn't got any other way to express himself. Moving house sux, I have done it more times than I care to remember as a child and an adult but it is also exciting. Your little man will calm down in time once you settle in. If it's chaotic for you right now, it will be for him as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We moved 3 times before DS turned 2 (the last time just before he turned 2). We didn't have any issues with the moves, but that's not to say all kids will be like that.

I would be inclined to say it's more age related. 2 Yr olds get frustrated because they can't quite communicate what they want yet understand so much of what we are saying. Combine that with a bit of illness and you have a recipe for a cranky toddler! The change in environment might be adding a little insecurity also.

How long has it been going on for? Do what you can to make him feel comfortable and happy in his new environment and focus on trying to help him communicate and understand what he wants/needs. I wouldn't over analyse at this stage. They don't call it the 'terrible twos' for nothing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    I would be inclined to say it's more age related.l!
    I think age is a factor but not 'the' factor. Experts say moving can be one of the most stressful times in someone's life and I think that aspect needs to be specifically addressed here. Moving is hard enough for adults let alone if you are a mostly non-verbal 2 year old who may or may not be going through other issues as well (separation anxiety, development phase, terrible twos etc)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have moved 4 times in DD & DS life and dd is 3.

She has been a bit of a brat and I just go with things like if you help me do dish washer etc.

DS is 2. He's bit more complex. He loves the washing machine. He will push washing basket and shove it all in machine.

He will over feed the dog.

I try and stimulate them so they aren't acting up.

Are you working? We Skype there dad 2 X a day. Printed photos on a lanyard and they walk around with them as necklaces when they choose.

Do u have any animals

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I think age is a factor but not 'the' factor. Experts say moving can be one of the most stressful times in someone's life and I think that aspect needs to be specifically addressed here. Moving is hard enough for adults let alone if you are a mostly non-verbal 2 year old who may or may not be going through other issues as well (separation anxiety, development phase, terrible twos etc)
    Well you didn't read my whole post as I said change in environment was also a factor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you give him the option of making some of his own choices? Being in control of something may help a little (I am talking about choices about clothes, food (to an extent), toys etc etc). Maybe giving him a choice between 3 things may help with some tantrums.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (22-06-2016)