+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used to be, but have forced myself to ease up a fair bit because I started to notice that people couldn't relax when they visited as they were worried about making a mess.

The house is still clean and things still go in their places when not in use, but I no longer fix the lounge cushions the moment someone stands up or feel the need to vacuum the whole house because someone dropped a crumb 😶

2. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

SookiLala  (22-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default House cleaning - are you obsessive about it?

Our house is very 'tidy', everything has a home and that's where it goes. The kids are free to make as much mess as they like (and they do!) but are also expected to put their stuff away when they are finished. DF or I make our bed every morning and arrange the cushions, etc. My DSSs make their beds but they aren't great at it and they still look unmade. Every night I do a quick run around the house and put away anything that's out of place.

As for 'clean', well that's a different kettle of fish. I hate cleaning. The kitchen is always clean and the floors vacuumed (we have a robotic vacuum that does the house twice a day and I spot vacuum anything spilt with a stick vacuum). I dust/mop floors/clean bathrooms maybe once a month, if that. We are blessed with tiles that don't show marks, out of sight out of mind! I used to mop the floors (white tiles) at our old house every day.

If someone was to walk into our house right now it would look perfect at first glance. Look a little closer and you'll see dirt/cobwebs/dust.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh dear. I feel very embarrassed. I don't clean. I will do all the day to day stuff, laundry, dishwasher, sweeping but we have clutter everywhere which makes getting the place clean damn near impossible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not obsessive at all. Do what needs to be done. Put things away as I go through my day. Try not to let the kitchen get messy and stay om top of that otherwise I'd rather sleep earlier or sleep im than spend hourd cleaning. No way would i wake up at 6am just to clean...I don't get out of bed till 8:10am and leave home at 8:40am for school drop off . ..I'm awake instructing my son . ..or should I say constantly telling him what to do. If I need to do grocery shopping or go anywhere else then I will and clean up later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default House cleaning - are you obsessive about it?

I'm obsessive about certain things...kitchen must always be ship shape. no clutter on bench tops, sink must always be clear and cleaned out. zero food debris or sticky benches! trash emptied. cooker clean etc.
    I cannot stand piles laying around the house - of anything. I hate clothes hanging on things or shoes left wherever their owner has decided to take them off. my mantra is really "a place for everything and everything in its place".

I'm really slack about tackling bigger jobs that I find repetitive...vacuuming the house, dusting etc. I wish I was more motivated with stuff like this. i just find the effort required never feels like a worthy investment when you know you'll have to do it all again next week.
    Last edited by turquoisecoast; 21-06-2016 at 22:49.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (21-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum was completely obsessive about cleaning when we were kids. We were always made to play outside. It wasn't until I had my own child I realised it was so we didn't mess up the house! She made us do a lot of chores etc. We didn't have any craft supplies or anything that would make a mess and we had to tidy up everything at the end of the day, no leaving a game for another day.

Sadly she passed away over 10 years ago from cancer. In her final days she told me she regretted all the time she spent cleaning when she could have been doing other things. I guess knowing you are going to die at the age of 54 makes you assess how you lived your relatively short life.

My house is often messy with toys etc but I try to keep it fairly clean. We do have an unwritten rule that the dishwasher goes on every night when we go to bed and gets unloaded every morning. Otherwise the day turns to hell. That's probably the only thing that I'm anal about.

My daughter loves craft & is constantly creating things. I mostly let her make a mess even though it drives me nuts. I remember what mum said and how I know she would have lived a different life if she had her time again.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dido For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (22-06-2016),SookiLala  (22-06-2016),turquoisecoast  (21-06-2016),YeahYeahYeah  (22-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    One thing i can't stand is dirty cups and bowls etc in the sink. Especially if they are full of water! Soaking! Noooo.... sinks empty at all times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    I used to be, but have forced myself to ease up a fair bit because I started to notice that people couldn't relax when they visited as they were worried about making a mess.

The house is still clean and things still go in their places when not in use, but I no longer fix the lounge cushions the moment someone stands up or feel the need to vacuum the whole house because someone dropped a crumb 😶
    How did you get over that ? I am exactly like you used to be

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am organised.

I vacuum and mop all time because of the dog and if the kids don't pick there xrap up I throw it out. I'm pretty OCD on that. I load dish washer daily and fill washing machine at night to soak then hang in morning.

I'm not one to make my bed 😝

Thanks
    Reviews
    I try to keep on top of the kitchen daily. I work from home 2 days a week and sometimes things get left until then to be done (the wednesday and friday fairy my partner calls it ) and I'll try to get a couple of things done like the washing and the kitchen. Otherwise myself and my partner share the housework. We both work full time. I have never been a clean freak, I wish I had some of that in my blood frankly.

The house gets a good go over on the weekend by both me and my partner, I would not be able to cope with a man who didn't do 50%. I love our roomba (goes daily), dishwasher and clothes dryer and couldn't live without! I have to say sheets don't get changed very often or floors washed I never do any ironing, my partner does his own shirts my clothes don't wrinkle or they go to the op shop.
    I'd love to be able to afford a cleaner.

I was always untidy as a kid and my sister was really anal and I hated her constant snide comments and bullying about it when we were kids. I'm a lot tidier now and I think she's a lot more relaxed, perhaps because we live in different countries........ I think she is obsessive compulsive about it as she still talks about cleaning and the state of other peoples houses a lot. Perhaps growing up with that constant judgment from her made me rebel at being tidy....... or I'm just a natural mess.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bongley For This Useful Post:

SookiLala  (22-06-2016)