+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Hand Foot and Mouth at childcare centre

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, didn't know where to post. DDs childcare centre has just emailed to say that they've had confirmed cases of hand foot and mouth disease at the centre, though not in her room. Although all the kids do interact during outside play and at meal times in the common room.

I've got an 11 week old at home. Should I keep DD home from childcare? Is it serious or just a common childhood illness. Sorry for silly questions, I don't know much about it and rather than google it and stress myself out with worst case scenarios I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I personally would not take the chance of exposing an 11 week old to HFM. My DS picked it up at 1 year old and shared it with me so I say from experience it is quite nasty. It can also bring with it high fevers which you would not want to see in an infant so young. If you can avoid for a while, I personally would.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For some it's extremely mild and not much to be concerned about but for others it's horrible. My niece and daughter contracted it at the same time, my niece had a fever and a few spots in her mouth where as my daughter ended up really unwell from it and ended up on 2 lots of antibiotics due to a skin infection caused by the hfm blisters/sores getting infected. This took weeks to heel and she is now left with a nasty scar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you can afford to keep her home, I would. Like the others have said it's not worth the risk. You can be really diligent with hygiene etc but you're all under the same roof and it would be really tough!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    If you are able to, I'd keep your daughter home just incase, though the child that has it would have been contagious prior to being diagnosed so it could be too late.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd keep her home if possible. A 17 month old boy who went to my gym crèche died last week of suspected HFM complications. While obviously that's a rare occurrence, I'd be avoiding exposure if possible

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Thanks for the replies. She was already at daycare when I got the email so I picked her up. Hopefully she hasn't contracted it already. How long should I be keeping her home for? She only goes twice a week and is due to go back next Monday, will it be ok to send her then?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    How did you go OP?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do not take the HFM virus lightly. One of my close friends lost her beautiful little girl to it. She was 20 months old.