+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Non fishy fish :-P

Thanks for all the ideas! I am in WA
    And yes I was buying from the supermarket as I'm not really close to any fresh fish markets that's probably why they are extra fishy! Will need to head to a fresh market to try some of your suggestions. @Pearlygirl I'm allergic to shellfish

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maco View Post
    Thanks for all the ideas! I am in WA
    And yes I was buying from the supermarket as I'm not really close to any fresh fish markets that's probably why they are extra fishy! Will need to head to a fresh market to try some of your suggestions. @Pearlygirl I'm allergic to shellfish
    Where in WA are you? Drovers Fish Markets in Joondalup are really good, there is also a good one at Innaloo apparently.

We have a boat so eat a lot of fish, mainly Dhufish, Mackeral.

King George Whiting is nice and not too fishy xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alicia111 View Post
    Where in WA are you? Drovers Fish Markets in Joondalup are really good, there is also a good one at Innaloo apparently.

We have a boat so eat a lot of fish, mainly Dhufish, Mackeral.

King George Whiting is nice and not too fishy xx
    I used to work at the one in Innaloo many many years ago. It was amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not near any fish markets so really only have supermarket fish to go off (so don't get it often, I usually only eat fish when we are away, from decent takeout joints). But I love whiting and Barra the best. Just enough flavour but not overpowering. And if cooked well, can be very melt-in-your-mouth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I was in WA our IGA had awesome fish - different suppliers to the big 2 supermarket.

I agree that snapper should be mild, so don't be afraid to try that again. DD's old daycare owner's husband used to catch dhufish and the kids loved that - it's pretty pricey though if you're buying it. Flathead has good flavour but can be a little more textured (I find a fish which breaks into bigger chunks better for the kids).

I also used to get a really nice bream in WA, nothing like the bream over east. So if it's local, give it a try.

Try salmon as well. I pan fry with the skin on, then peel the skin off and remove the brown blood line. Then separate into its chunks. My fussy eater started eating it when I told him it was pink chicken (as he'd started eating chicken by that time).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Frozen whiting fillets from coles

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We mostly eat salmon, sardines and leather jackets

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Non fishy fish :-P

I don't really like fish, but wanted DS to try it so I bought some barramundi filets from Coles or Woolies (frozen).

On the odd occasion we have it fresh, we get rockling from the fish monger. It's very very mild.