+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    hmm, blown head gasket is the expensive part from what I know, as it is all the labour involved in replacing it Can you have a search on gumtree to see what is out there that you could possibly buy ? even just a $500 small old car ? I just had a quick search in gumtree in Vic (not sure where you are) and there are pulsar's there for sale for under $1k, some even cheaper. Would that suit ? rather than getting your one fixed, just get something else to get you by for the timebeing.
    Last edited by 4LeafClover; 20-06-2016 at 18:30. Reason: add

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely not worth replacing the head gasket in an oldish car with that many Ks on it.

You could definitely get something decent for 2k if you are happy with a micro hatch (echo/polo/barina size). If you can drive manual they are always cheaper than auto.

Are you any good with a spanner and have room for your broken car? Pulling bits off and selling them on gumtree would get you a few much needed $ and even give you a little side project to keep you from being too idle. Just take photos of the side mirrors, hubcaps, gear knob, fuel cap, under the bonnet etc and list them then pull each bit off as someone wants it. The harder stuff some people are happy to come and pull it out themselves.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (20-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Definitely not worth replacing the head gasket in an oldish car with that many Ks on it.

You could definitely get something decent for 2k if you are happy with a micro hatch (echo/polo/barina size). If you can drive manual they are always cheaper than auto.

Are you any good with a spanner and have room for your broken car? Pulling bits off and selling them on gumtree would get you a few much needed $ and even give you a little side project to keep you from being too idle. Just take photos of the side mirrors, hubcaps, gear knob, fuel cap, under the bonnet etc and list them then pull each bit off as someone wants it. The harder stuff some people are happy to come and pull it out themselves.
    Or take to a wreckers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    just been looking at cars - definitely think I'm going to go down that path & take mine to a wreckers (bummer part that I saw one I want for sale now but I can't until August - damnit). Definitely happy to get a micro hatch - in fact would probably be my preference

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pointless1 View Post
    it's a blown head gasket & an issue with the power steering (possibly pump) in an old pulsar. I wouldn't be able to obtain finance (pretty much no income, bad credit, couldn't pay back if I didn't get money from my existing car to pay out loan). I probably wouldn't be able to sell it to anyone for other than spare parts/metal due to how damaged the interior is
    I see you live an hour away from me. Have you ever heard of "Good Money" in Geelong? They are a no interest loan company who specifically help low income/ health care card holders, no matter your credit history. You can get up to $1,200 from them per year- the way they work is that they will make a cheque out directly to the company you're buying from (lots of people use it for white goods etc, car repairs, etc).
    I highly recommend them, I have used them before when I was separated and struggling and my vacuum cleaner died, needed four new tyres and an air conditioner last summer.

Good luck, hon. Hopefully they can help you xx

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (20-06-2016),Ngaiz  (20-06-2016),pointless1  (20-06-2016),Yoghurt  (20-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    I see you live an hour away from me. Have you ever heard of "Good Money" in Geelong? They are a no interest loan company who specifically help low income/ health care card holders, no matter your credit history. You can get up to $1,200 from them per year- the way they work is that they will make a cheque out directly to the company you're buying from (lots of people use it for white goods etc, car repairs, etc).
    I highly recommend them, I have used them before when I was separated and struggling and my vacuum cleaner died, needed four new tyres and an air conditioner last summer.

Good luck, hon. Hopefully they can help you xx
    I think Lifeline or the Salvos can do similar no interest loans (NILS). I'd forgotten about this. It has truly saved my behind in the past and helped me get back on top of things again

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoghurt For This Useful Post:

pointless1  (20-06-2016),~Marigold~  (20-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I see you live an hour away from me. Have you ever heard of "Good Money" in Geelong?
    I haven't heard of them but will contact them tomorrow to see if they can help.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pointless1 For This Useful Post:

Yoghurt  (21-06-2016),~Marigold~  (20-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pointless1 View Post
    I haven't heard of them but will contact them tomorrow to see if they can help.
    They will help you

Thanks
    Reviews
    @pointless1 how are things going?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @pointless1 how are things going?
    Thanks for asking . Good Money have referred me to my local NILS supplier so I can do an assessment through there. In the meantime, at least for the last couple of days and until tomorrow afternoon I've been able to borrow an old car from an ex-neighbour to do a few things I've had to run around to get done. Now I just need to work out how to pay rent & buy food with what little money I have left after being paid.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pointless1 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (24-06-2016)