Does your 5 year old LISTEN? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Does your 5 year old LISTEN?

Curious to know others opinions of their 4-5 yr old's listening skills. To be clear - I am not talking about hearing, but listening!

DS1 is 5 next month and I have noticed he is becoming increasingly rubbish at listening. I feel like I nag him constantly and he is either so engulfed in whatever activity he is doing or distracted that I have to ask him quite firmly (to do tasks etc), often 2 or 3 times.

I say listening, rather than hearing, because if I mention the word icecream under my breath from half way across the house he is all ears, lol. I am confident there is no hearing problem, more a distraction problem.

I have never had a 5 year old so I really don't know what's normal 5 year old behaviour. He's a really bright kid with lots of friends and doesn't have trouble concentrating on things he is interested in. He does have a new baby brother which is most likely affecting his behaviour to an extent (attention seeking etc) but I am not sure if there is anything else I can do to improve his listening skills in particular (prep next year...!!).

I worry especially because he is quite smart he will get bored at prep, and be even less inclined to listen.. Etc.

Advice or stories welcome!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Following with interest. My DH and I often wonder if there is something going on with how DD understands things. We play a listening game and she is able to hear whispers across the room. So nothing wrong with her hearing

But she is easily distracted and doesnt listen. I find it frustrsting watching her at dancing or swimming because her teachers have to repeat themselves and I'm not sure whether its because she's distracted and off with the fairies or whether she just cant comprehend. She is (or will be) a visual learner I suspect.

I havent heard any concerns from preschool or daycare in that regards.

Does your DS go to preschool (or I think its Kindergarten in Qld?)
    Last edited by smallpotatoes; 19-06-2016 at 20:24.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (19-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a 6 yo dd and I am still waiting for her hearing to switch back on!
    This only seems to be a problem at home and also started when she became a big sister when she was 4.5 when she was at kindy and now grade 1 her hearing has been perfect and she is an excellent student (so the teachers tell me)
    Chatting to other mums it seems common but I dont have and suggestions on fixing it sorry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Does your 5 year old LISTEN?

My 6 yr old still has bad listening skills! It's actually something I am really struggling with right now. I can say his name 10 times before he will actually register I've said something. Same if you tell him something it's like he either didn't listen or forgot in 10 seconds flat. My almost 4 year old has started it too. It makes me very frustrated especially when I know they have no problem with their hearing for the exact same reason OP said. I can say ice cream under my breath and they would hear me from the other side of the house. So frustrating! I'm starting to wonder do they ever grow out of it

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMiller For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to often really insist that mr 4.5 stops and looks at me to listen, otherwise I may as well talk to the dog! Miss 17 months is heaps better at listening lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 6 year old is exactly the same and has passed a hearing test with flying colours. It feels like I say everything 7 times and only once I crack the sh*ts and yell does he listen!!! Drives me nuts

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smallpotatoes View Post
    Following with interest. My DH and I often wonder if there is something going on with how DD understands things. We play a listening game and she is able to hear whispers across the room. So nothing wrong with her hearing

But she is easily distracted and doesnt listen. I find it frustrsting watching her at dancing or swimming because her teachers have to repeat themselves and I'm not sure whether its because she's distracted and off with the fairies or whether she just cant comprehend. She is (or will be) a visual learner I suspect.

I havent heard any concerns from preschool or daycare in that regards.

Does your DS go to preschool (or I think its Kindergarten in Qld?)
    He is at kindy. It's his 2nd year of kindy due to his age (he goes to an early learning centre attached to the school and they have 2 kindy rooms for 3.5 yr olds +), and I think maybe this is also part of it - he's a bit bored having done everything before (some kids in his room are still learning to write their names), has a group of mates he runs amok with. I haven't had any concerns raised although I do think his new teacher thinks he is a bad listener.

He is the same at swimming and kindy sports - has good days but others where the teacher has to say his name firmly a couple of times to get his attention (too busy playing etc).

Interesting to hear girls having the same issue I thought maybe a boy thing, the girls in his lessons are all so well behaved! He is the youngest in his swim class though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol sounds like I am not the only one! So frustrating though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Still waiting for DH 9 to listen to me. Give to my folks and no problem at all

15. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (20-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine are 4 and 6. They do listen, but not all the time. I say their mouths work 110% of the time, their ears 50% if I'm lucky

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

MrsMiller  (20-06-2016),sunnygirl79  (20-06-2016)