+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Screen time dilemma

I have a 3yo DS. We allow him to each TV at home and don't limit it that much. He's out for most of each day anyway. He never uses an iPad although DH is going to set some time each week to show him how to use one because we don't want him to start school without being on top of that.

My issue is iPads at social events. We recently attended a small gathering with friends. There were about 6 other kids around DS' age and a bit older. At that stage he was an only child and was really excited about seeing his friends. When we got there the other kids spent the whole time sitting in a line playing iPads. The whole time. DS started trying to talk to them and then started attention seeking behaviour. The other kids asked us to take him away so they could play their games. I felt really bad for my DS.

Is this usual for kids aged 4-7? I'm not exactly judging the other parents for bringing iPads to an event where there's lots of kids, but at the same time I don't really want my kids playing on an iPad at social occasions when other kids are there. If it's going to be like that one, though, I really don't see any other choice or he's going to be left out.

I guess I'm just disappointed. Where's the social interaction?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep it's becoming more common now , if it's my nieces or nephew or close friends I literally just say to them DS came over to play with you so no iPads , they know now so rarely go on them when we come over except when we go out for dinner I hate that they always bring them but I can't really control that , luckily with his school friends they are still too excited to see each other on play dates so never have the iPads out

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (19-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At my niece's 5yo party they played a bit outside but other times the kids (not the little ones) all sat there on iPads or ninetendo ds.

I have no problems with such devices but I think it's sad that the parents bring them along to a social event.
    I think it's just a sign of the times.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (19-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    They are becoming more and more addictive all the time. My dad gave me one for my bday a couple years ago and DH is completely addicted to the point he will literally have a meltdown over it. I keep it hidden under the bed so he cannot find it. As soon as he walks in the door from school it's like where's the iPad!. In grade 7 he has to have one in class for preparation of high school in yr8. Help me them I will be tempted to smash the damned thing

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (19-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We havent been to any events where kids that age sit on ipads etc older kids over 10 are on them which doesnt bother me much but I find it sad that young kids just sit infront of a screen and not interact with other kids and actually use their imagination

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (19-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

That's definitely not usual for the social events we go to. Sometimes the older kids (teenagers) are playing video games, etc. but never kids that young.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (19-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it's a primarily adult event (eg restaurant) we encourage our kids to sit quietly, sometimes that does involve an iPad. Both not for events where other kids are actively present. It really depends on the occasion.

We are really strict on being polite and quiet where there are other non- family adults present.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomia For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (19-06-2016),Wise Enough  (21-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Depends on the event and whether there's anything for kids to do. When we were kids if we went to a "adult" event we'd be allowed to wander around / play outside / do our own thing. Given that's forbidden these days what are kids to do?

I can see the dilemma and without knowing what the event involved it's hard to say. We go to a big family Christmas party every year at a park / beach and definitely heaps of things for kids to do. If it was at a restaurant? I'd be packing iPads.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (19-06-2016),Sally1981  (19-06-2016),Wise Enough  (21-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

DS has been going to restaurants with us since he was 6 months old and he's never had a iPad /played with our phone - but - I'm always prepared with toys, cars, colouring in stuff , games etc , I have a backpack that stays in the car with hot wheels cars, snakes and ladders and a minion colouring in set and books in case of restaurant emergencies! If it was a big event then we always try choose places where they can get up and be noisy as really it's not fair to have young kids sit at a table for hours!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (19-06-2016),Sally1981  (19-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    What kind of social event was it? I think it depends what event it is. But for play dates, park visits, kids' birthday parties I wouldn't let my kids take them.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

believa  (19-06-2016),Sally1981  (19-06-2016),sproutx3  (21-06-2016)