+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Experiences living in small house please!

Hi all

Can anyone share their experience living in a small house with kids? We have 2 kids, ages 3 and 6, we currently live in a 140sqm house (4 x 2, big kitchen, 2 living areas and reasonable size backyard) which we find fine space-wise. Our house is in an awful area and I want to get my eldest out of the schools here.

We have found a house that we would like to buy and can afford in a lovely area with great primary and high schools, lots of great amenities, good neighbourhood, safe, close to work for DH. Ticks all the boxes basically but it is small - 3 x 2 (really wanted 2 bathrooms for the future having 2 girls!) freestanding unit, but only 110sqm with a very small yard. My instinct is to go for it but I am worried that we will regret going so small. Anyone had experience living in small spaces I would love to hear them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We live in a 2 bedroom house with one bathroom and find it fine but annoying in parts. We have a 4 yo and a 2 yo. Our bathroom is small and squashy which is irritating but if the toilet was separate it would be fine. We are used to this much space though. If we were in a 4x2 it would feel huuuge!

With that said we live in Sydney so have to take what we can afford. We are moving out of Sydney soon though and I dream daily about the third bedroom and more practical bathroom we will be able to afford!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I've lived all my life rurally and regionally so it's important to point out I'm not used to the closeness of urban living. When we had one child we moved into a tiny 3 bedroom house. Tiny bathroom, tiny bedrooms with no built ins. Tiny kitchen with no pantry, no storage space. We only lived there until my 2nd child was a couple of months old as it was so claustrophobicly small.

Given you have 2 girls you could put them in the same room and convert the 3rd bedroom into a study/playroom/storage. It would really depend on how much storage this unit had. The place we had felt even smaller as there was nowhere to put everything and it looked cluttered. The small amount of space that existed, I had to put in wardrobes and my own pantry. If the unit has lots of storage then I would say it may be ok. If it doesn't then you may find it too small. I have older kids as well as a baby and the older they get, the more space they want, both personally and for their belongings.
    Last edited by delirium; 19-06-2016 at 19:26. Reason: stupid autocorrect

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had a 3×1 for our last house which I felt was too small. I wanted to go up to a 4x2, but we ended up buying another 3×1 as it was a great investment. We're renovating it at the moment and we're living in 2 bedrooms and one living space (which is also doubling as a 'kitchen' right now). There is no storage, so everything is in the garage. What this has made me realise though is that we have so much 'stuff' that we really just don't need! DH & I are sharing 1 set of drawers, we have one suitcase of linen, and a set of cube shelves for kitchen & bathroom stuff....and we're getting by just fine! I look in the garage and can't even remember/comprehend what's in all of those boxes or why we need it!

So I guess what I'm saying is, you really can downsize and live comfortably with a lot less than you would think!

Although with 1 bathroom it really is great if you can have a separate toilet or an extra toilet.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    We only have a 2.5 year old so can't comment much on older/multiple kids. We live in a 2 x 1.5 (two-way bathroom to main and a powder room). We used to live in a 3 x 2. I love living in a smaller place! I got rid of all our junk we didn't need/use, there's less cleaning and we get out more. We also save money on heating, AC and electricity and can live in a better area/have cheaper rent (unfortunately not in a position to buy atm). We live in an older 2 bedroom place so there is heaps of storage space.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're in just over 90m2
    We only have dd who is 3 months.
    I lived a huge house (335m2) with xh and just had so much 'stuff' to fill the spaces , so expensive to run and all I did was clean!
    I agree with pp. smaller house means cheaper bills, less unnecessary stuff, less time cleaning and more time and money to spend on extra curricular things like outings and holidays and down time!

You seriously can make do in a smaller space and your kids grow up closer sharing their space with each other. I know that's why my brother and I are close!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We live in a 3bdr with one bathroom, one living area, eat in kitchen only, no garage etc and we fit fine for now (4 kids 6 and under). My kids all share a room and the other room is for the cupboards as we don't have built ins or anything. We do have a little sunroom for their toys but it's also storage due to no garden shed or garage. Maybe it's because they are young it works okay but I'm so used to it I don't know how I'd go in a bigger house. I can vacuum the whole house from one power point (in the bathroom).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    110sqm for a family of 4 is massive!

People in Paris and Tokyo live in half that with no backyard 😂

It's really a personal preference but for me it would be a none issue especially if you are in a great area. You'll be out more often then in.

As long as the living areas are a good size, I'd snap it super quickly.

(As an example, my French friends who moved to Melbourne are living in 60sqm with 2 kids. That includes the balcony lol they love their place/life)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Full House  (19-06-2016),Janesmum123  (19-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We downsized because I found the big house (three bed + study/two bathroom/two loungerooms) was too big
    We moved to a 3 x 1 with an extra toilet and are more than comfy. Our bedrooms are double sized, and I think that helps with space issues...but as they get older and the toys reduce they don't need as much space for stuff.
    I say go for it. You definitely don't need to live in a McMansion to be comfortable. I grew up in a very small house, and we were fine. As teenagers we hung out in our bedrooms for privacy...and as an adult now I do the same. If I want alone time I head to my bedroom with a book.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should add too...we decided we'd rather small house for the better neighbourhood and schools...best decision we ever made! Zero regrets. Go for it!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

clb84  (19-06-2016)