+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Siblings at Birthday Parties

If you take a sibling to a party, do you expect a party bag for them? Or include them if you are making outfits?

I'm struggling a bit as while I never expect my non-invited kid to get a bag etc, but I have always given them out if I know a sibling is coming! But I'm ordering things in this year and won't have enough time for them to arrive between RSVP date and the party if I wait to see what numbers are, and can't afford to order extra "just incase". Plus, I always seem to get 1-2 parents who bring siblings and don't tell me so then I feel really bad as everyone else gets something, but those kids miss out!!!

So this year, I'm considering not doing it as DS wants a Jedi party. Thinking of making tunics for the kids, but don't really want to make 20 to accommodate the siblings. So they wouldn't get one, but I might do a little bag with a toy and freddo for them.

Do you think that's fair? I don't know why I'm struggling with the concept of invited guests only so much! Am I weird? Or do you include them too?
    Last edited by Californication; 19-06-2016 at 12:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hell no I wouldn't include them unless they where actually invited. If my DH wants his mate to come and their sibling then he can invite both if he doesn't then I don't cater for them at all. It's drop and go for parties not a crèche for the extra kids that could possibly be younger

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't ever expect that siblings would get a party bag. When hosting parties I only ever have enough party bags for the invited kids and no extras at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think what you've said is very fair. You can't be expected to make outfits for every sibling that happens to turn up. Having a small bag with a couple of items inside instead is a nice gesture. Certainly not everyone would do it but I would probably do the same to avoid any disappointment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    First off I think it's rude tobring siblings to a party and not ask the host first.

Second when I do bring siblings I never expect a party bag for them. It's a life lesson. They are not the invited guest. I have declined them in the past as I don't want my kids expecting it.

So I would just say on the invite that you are providing costumes for the kids to wear at the party and unfortunately there won't be enough for siblings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Siblings at Birthday Parties

I always say siblings invited to DS parties as I know it's hard for some to get babysitters and at 5 it's not really drop and go age yet , I do proper party bags for invited kids ( I usually do buckets or totes in the theme with toys and a few lollies) but I always just get a stash of the cheap plastic themed lolly bags and fill with lollies for spares , adults or siblings ( so they do get something but not as fancy as the others)

OP my DS wants a Star Wars party for his 6th birthday this year so I've just started planning - let me know what you end up doing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never cater for siblings, for reasons similar to your OP.
    It's never been a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @Sonja - I think it's rude too. I have no issue with siblings coming at all. We have FIFO friends and some work weekends, so I know not everyone can leave them home with the other parent, but it is nice to know numbers! The first year we did a school party, I had 8 unexpected siblings. 8!! Luckily I over-cater so there was enough food, but it made it hard with games etc.

But it seems you all think I'm not being rude, so I'll go ahead with my invitee only dress up plan, small bag for sibs and hope the parents feel the same as you guys LOL!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (19-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd just cater to your invited guests and because I a softy I'd do a small stash of extra balloons or something for any bonus siblings.

I think ink it's really rude to not ask/check with the host if you have to bring extra children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    @Sonja - I think it's rude too. I have no issue with siblings coming at all. We have FIFO friends and some work weekends, so I know not everyone can leave them home with the other parent, but it is nice to know numbers! The first year we did a school party, I had 8 unexpected siblings. 8!! Luckily I over-cater so there was enough food, but it made it hard with games etc.

But it seems you all think I'm not being rude, so I'll go ahead with my invitee only dress up plan, small bag for sibs and hope the parents feel the same as you guys LOL!
    Sounds perfect to me! I did a Star Wars pool party for DS1 a couple of years ago and just had a small amount of little bags for any unexpected siblings.