+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fauvette View Post
    Can I ask, was there any symptoms that made you think this is what you had?
    The main symptom would be my recurrent miscarriages. In all my searches for info about recurrent miscarriage this is the one thing that popped up all the time. The more I researched it, the more convinced I was that I had it. I also had constant headaches, extreme fatigue 24/7, a history of dizziness and fainting.

The way they test is they will do one blood test looking for the clotting disorder, if it comes back positive they will test again 8-12 weeks later to confirm. My first test came back positive, my second came back negative but my GP explained that APS can be dormant or at such a low level that it would come back negative but would still cause issues. Pregnancy is also a trigger. GP agreed that I could start taking low dose aspirin as it causes no harm and voila, it's seems to have worked so far. Now I'm just waiting on the hospital to see how I will be managed. If you are diagnosed with APS you'll be recommended to start low dose aspirin or warfarin/heparin injections and your pregnancies will be managed as high risk. The good thing is, once managed the success rate for a live birth is great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babymummatobe View Post
    The main symptom would be my recurrent miscarriages. In all my searches for info about recurrent miscarriage this is the one thing that popped up all the time. The more I researched it, the more convinced I was that I had it. I also had constant headaches, extreme fatigue 24/7, a history of dizziness and fainting.

The way they test is they will do one blood test looking for the clotting disorder, if it comes back positive they will test again 8-12 weeks later to confirm. My first test came back positive, my second came back negative but my GP explained that APS can be dormant or at such a low level that it would come back negative but would still cause issues. Pregnancy is also a trigger. GP agreed that I could start taking low dose aspirin as it causes no harm and voila, it's seems to have worked so far. Now I'm just waiting on the hospital to see how I will be managed. If you are diagnosed with APS you'll be recommended to start low dose aspirin or warfarin/heparin injections and your pregnancies will be managed as high risk. The good thing is, once managed the success rate for a live birth is great!
    Do you know if this would be tested for in a normal coagulation blood test? I'm sure I've had a coagulation test in each pregnancy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to jump on in. I'm so sorry for your loss. I saw your diary and my heart broke for you and the loss of your little one.
    I don't know much about this but just had to add because I find it a bit random, so I had 3 early miscarriages whilst trying for my first two children, fell pregnant last July (a surprise) and expected to miscarry as I miscarried the month prior to both my healthy pregnancies. Everything was fine and had perfect scans with a perfect baby until 22 weeks I went to emergency (over Xmas and OB was away) after reduced movement and being checked twice 10 and 14 days earlier. We then received the devastating news that our little girl had passed away.
    She had an autopsy and nothing was found except that both my placenta and baby were half the size they should of been. I then tested positive to the APS thing and when re-tested was negative so they ruled it out. I tested positive whilst still pregnant before they induced me and negative was around 8 weeks later.
    I am now pregnant again and on aspirin. I'm really interested in the fact you could be positive and still get a negative test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fauvette View Post
    Do you know if this would be tested for in a normal coagulation blood test? I'm sure I've had a coagulation test in each pregnancy?
    I'm not entirely sure. I would assume so though. It would be tested under lupus anticoagulant. I had never been tested for anything related to coagulation in any of my pregnancies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lozz90 View Post
    Sorry to jump on in. I'm so sorry for your loss. I saw your diary and my heart broke for you and the loss of your little one.
    I don't know much about this but just had to add because I find it a bit random, so I had 3 early miscarriages whilst trying for my first two children, fell pregnant last July (a surprise) and expected to miscarry as I miscarried the month prior to both my healthy pregnancies. Everything was fine and had perfect scans with a perfect baby until 22 weeks I went to emergency (over Xmas and OB was away) after reduced movement and being checked twice 10 and 14 days earlier. We then received the devastating news that our little girl had passed away.
    She had an autopsy and nothing was found except that both my placenta and baby were half the size they should of been. I then tested positive to the APS thing and when re-tested was negative so they ruled it out. I tested positive whilst still pregnant before they induced me and negative was around 8 weeks later.
    I am now pregnant again and on aspirin. I'm really interested in the fact you could be positive and still get a negative test.
    I find this very interesting too! A lot of my research has suggested that pregnancy is often a trigger for APS, so while not pregnant APS can be dormant and not be causing any issues or symptoms (thus coming back negative) then when pregnant it starts back up again. All three of my aunties suffer from APS. All of them had recurrent miscarriages, two had stillbirths but now all have healthy kids with treatment. Unfortunately not enough research has been done to confirm whether it is hereditary, however if there's a family history of APS you are more likely to have it.

I'm also on aspirin and everything seems to be going okay so far which is always reassuring. This is the furtherest we have ever been pregnant and I 110% attribute that to the aspirin.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @babymummatobe that's very weird that with the aspirin it is the furthest you had got in a pregnancy.
    I was worried that it could be wrong when it came back negative but doctors brushed me off saying it was now negative.
    I'm considered high risk this pregnancy so am going to a big hospital for all appointments so I may ask them about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @babymummatobe that's very weird that with the aspirin it is the furthest you had got in a pregnancy.
    I was worried that it could be wrong when it came back negative but doctors brushed me off saying it was now negative.
    I'm considered high risk this pregnancy so am going to a big hospital for all appointments so I may ask them about it.
    It is weird isn't it. My GP wasn't really bothered if I took it or not, but now I'm taking it I'm extremely nervous to stop and will probably refuse to stop taking it in fear of "what if".

I have found a lot of doctors don't have a lot of experience with APS, but you should definitely ask about it. Being high risk must be catch 22. Good that you get extra monitoring but also maybe stressful?
    As my APS tests came back negative they have put me in the low risk basket which is less stressful on me, but I'm also slightly stressed it that I might not be getting the monitoring I need. I wish you the best of luck with this pregnancy. May we both have uneventful pregnancies and welcome healthy babies!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babymummatobe For This Useful Post:

Fauvette  (19-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @babymummatobe I would probably continue to take it to the end and just mention it to OB and ask when to stop prior to birth.

I'm high risk because I had a stillborn for un-known reasons not because of the APS. I'm glad for the extra monitoring because I think I would be crazy without it.

Fingers crossed for your pregnancy too Hun. Hope we both have our bubs soon with no problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No need to apologise for jumping in! Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm so sorry to hear about your losses too. I just can't imagine getting to the 22 week mark and having a loss, it's been hard enough believing that my baby could get to 9.5 weeks then just stop growing unexpectedly.
    How long ago did you lose your girl? How did your recovery (mentally) go? Are you finding it difficult to go through the new pregnancy emotionally?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Fauvette at 22 weeks it was the last thing on my mind and when I was waiting to be induced, obviously beside myself a midwife said 'did you kind of know though? Due to lack of movement'. Wouldn't you think if I had of known I would of gone in sooner.

She was born on the 29th December last year so coming up on 6 months. She had passed roughly a week before she was born so right over Christmas and public holidays. I had been checked twice in the first week due to her being quiet and all was fine and I was made to feel silly so I didn't go again over the public holidays thinking I was over reacting.
    I don't think I have mentally recovered and I don't think I ever will. Having to give birth to and meet my sleeping little girl tore my heart into pieces and I just don't think I will ever be the same. Having to say goodbye and give her back was the hardest thing ive ever had to do and I felt like I was in a bad dream. I wanted to be pregnant again because I felt like I needed something to focus on and look forward to and I desperately wanted another baby. But i think I blocked out my feelings whilst TTC and now I'm an emotional mess. I am seeing a clinical physiologist next week to try and find ways of coping and to help me through.
    I have two other children and I feel like I have the world on my shoulders slowly pulling me down and feel I'm not coping how I should be.

Hopefully you can get some answers from your doctor and help for a healthy pregnancy. Any loss is hard but when you see a healthy Bub you stress a little less and it unexpectedly hits you very hard I think. Xx