+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD got a smart trike for her 1st birthday. Used it for a good 2 years.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (18-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for all the replies I really appreciate the advice!
    I had a look at the other types suggested and I think for what we would want it for (walking to local playgrounds) the smart-trike style is a better option as she can be buckled in and pushed along like a stroller but a bit more exciting for her. I'll have another look at the options before I give BIL the green light

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Smart-Trike - yay or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Thanks for all the replies I really appreciate the advice!
    I had a look at the other types suggested and I think for what we would want it for (walking to local playgrounds) the smart-trike style is a better option as she can be buckled in and pushed along like a stroller but a bit more exciting for her. I'll have another look at the options before I give BIL the green light
    See if you can try it before you buy. With ours (a) it wouldn't steer properly so whoever we pushed her it would always veer to the left. We tinkered with the wheels and the pedals and everything but it just kept happening. Made the walks very slow and frustrating. And (b) it wasn't actually very comfortable for DD1 and she'd ask to get out after about a block. But that was her temperament and it wouldn't have mattered which one we had. Just meant spending that amount of money was a huge waste.

Finally because you do spend a lot on it I felt I couldn't just leave it outside. I know it's a trike and not durable but we lived in Melbourne and keeping it inside wasn't an option and outside under cover options were limited.

Best thing I ever saw was a low bike with training wheels and a handle for parents welded on the back. It was removable for later when the child was older and didn't need it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not a fan of ours

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same as Sonja, manoeuvrability an issue. Now sitting in our garage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We got one when DS1 was 17 months old. Was ok - got it on special so not wasted money but he used to sit on it for the ride to the park but then refuse to sit on it on the way back home so I would end up carrying him and pushing the bike at the same time 😂. I agree with manoeuvrability etc it's not the greatest but ok for the purpose. We bought him a balance bike as soon as he was tall enough but the smart trike was good for about a year. I don't see the point in spending hundreds on something at that age, as there is the risk they won't like it/won't use it much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never had much of a problem steering mine. Not until it was about 2 years old.
    Up until then we used it for exactly what you want. Though I did wish I had the fancier one that you could recline and had the storage bag part so I could use it at shops. DD never cried in the trike but always in pram.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get a second hand one on eBay. I only spent $30 on mine. Main issue is once she got old enough to steer you are forever having to pull it back into line and then she started to trail her feet on the ground. So overall we got some use but glad didn't buy new!
    Ours is smart trike I think but the pedals move too fast for her to keep her feet on while I walk her so check that's not the same with your model.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD got hers when she was 1 and it's had plenty of use. She's 3 and we still use it occasionally. It's really time to switch to the bike without the parent handle though. We got the 4in1 that reclines. Same as the one in the picture below but ours came with a toys bar that strapped on the handle bars. It does get a bit trickier to steer as they get older and move the handle bars. It's definitely been worth having as I don't drive so DD and I could take long walks.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1466293715.607790.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got one for my DS3's first birthday and I wish we'd saved our money. It's a pile of junk. Steering it is completely impossible and to walk even on a footpath I have to tip it towards me so the front wheel is off the ground. Hate the thing and I can't wait until DS can get on his brother's balance bike.