+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Lip tie and teeth gap?

Just wondering if anyone has a child with a lip tie and what impact it has had on front teeth? I've always suspected DD has a lip tie due to feeding issues (she's almost 12 months and weave exclusively breastfed every.single.feed using a nipple shield due to inability to latch). Paed says they are not an issue though 😁
    Anyway here is a photo of her front teeth(in post below). Besides the fact they are oh so cute I am wondering if she does have a tie and if she will have a large gap? What are your thoughts?
    Thanks 😊

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    My nearly-4-year-old's teeth came through with a much larger gap than that. She did/does have a lip tie, but her teeth have come a lot closer together over time. She doesn't have any noticeable gap anymore.

My son's have come through much like your daughter's, and he has no lip tie.

Doesn't necessarily answer your question, but might add to your info!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (17-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    My nearly-4-year-old's teeth came through with a much larger gap than that. She did/does have a lip tie, but her teeth have come a lot closer together over time. She doesn't have any noticeable gap anymore.

Thank you@Renn that's fantastic info having never seen baby teeth come through before it's hard to know if the gap is normal and closes up or not so thanks for the insight!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post

This is the same with my 3, none of them were diagnosed with a lip tie though. The gaps have just closed over time as they got older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a large gap in my front teeth - which remained when my adult teeth came through. At 11yo i had an operation in the dentist chair that cut away the flesh of my gum, and the flesh connecting my top lip to my gum. As my adult molars grew in more, they naturally forced closure of the gap.

The surgery was painful, & there are sometimes as an adult i wonder if i should have kept it.... my front teeth are now slightly crooked, but that could be corrected with braces if i wanted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My son has a lip tie and I'm considering having it lasered. I am waiting for his dental appointment mid July to see what the dentist says. My niece has a lip tie and has an obvious gap. She's 4. Her mum was contemplating having it snipped but realised that her other children will need braces and it's possible her dd will need them too so there's no point putting her in unnecessary pain. Makes sense!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son had a big gap when his teeth came through, probably bigger than your little one... i have quite a big one so it was something I really noticed, I thought he might keep it but sadly not, he's 3 now & it's gone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD had a lip tie that caused a gap between her top two teeth. We ended up getting it lasered as we couldn't get the brush up to clean her teeth properly. The gap closed up once the tie had gone. Her tie didn't come down as far as your DD's (maybe halfway down), but we couldn't lift her lip up as high as you are able to. Although it was traumatic we got it done for dental hygiene and also to try and prevent any speech issues in the future