+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh and for hair you only need to use it once or twice a week. Too often and it can build up. Just wash your hair after treatment how you normally would and condition. It should come out fine, just don't put too much on.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (18-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's also great to remove face paint from kids faces without all the crying and drama.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nicole83 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (18-06-2016)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    Putting on hair- i have used it as a hair treatment. You have to melt it either in your hands or put some in a cup and submerge the cup in a bowl of hot water. When its totally melted, smooth through DRY hair. Don't use on wet hair as it may not be as effective (water and oil don't mix obviously) and do it BEFORE washing hair. Leave on either for a few hours or you can put a shower cap on and sleep with it in your hair. You can either smooth in you ends only or smooth through hair and massage on scalp depending on what you want to achieve. Be careful because some people experience hair breakage with coconut oil.

I am currently using coconut oil as a body moisturiser and have been using it like that for about a week. It's amazing, makes my skin so soft and helps the dry spots. Works much better than regular moisturiser. Just melt it in your hands and slather on.

Be careful if you want to try it on your face. It's highly comedogenic (causing breakouts) and not many people can use it on their face. Patch test first.

You can try oil pulling method too where you melt a tablespoon of the oil, place in your mouth and swish for 15 to 20 minutes, spit in the bin and brush your teeth as normal. Meant to make teeth whiter and improve mouth health. Don't know how effective it is though.

Make sure to buy organic, raw, unrefined, virgin or extra virgin coconut oil. You need the unprocessed stuff for outer body care.

Warning: never put the oil down the drain. Because it goes solid it can clog your pipes!!!!
    Thanks so much, I'm so glad that you mentioned the fact that it can cause breakouts if used on the face, because my teen DS has had severe facial acne in the past and we had to put him on medication for it- he now gets a few spots here and there and I told him to use the coconut oil on his face after reading that it helps with pimples. Ooops! Lucky he hadn't tried it yet!
    Last night I found a website listing the top 50 best ways to use coconut oil... Wow. It's just a gem of a product! I am addicted already

Thanks
    Reviews

You can try oil pulling method too where you melt a tablespoon of the oil, place in your mouth and swish for 15 to 20 minutes, spit in the bin and brush your teeth as normal. Meant to make teeth whiter and improve mouth health. Don't know how effective it is though.
    I have tried this but didnt stick to it as it made me gag too much but i know people who swear by it
    ETA i used less than a tablespoon as well but still couldn't do it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    Thanks so much, I'm so glad that you mentioned the fact that it can cause breakouts if used on the face, because my teen DS has had severe facial acne in the past and we had to put him on medication for it- he now gets a few spots here and there and I told him to use the coconut oil on his face after reading that it helps with pimples. Ooops! Lucky he hadn't tried it yet!
    Last night I found a website listing the top 50 best ways to use coconut oil... Wow. It's just a gem of a product! I am addicted already
    It CAN help for acne because its also anti bacterial, but you need to be very careful. I would consider those who say its improved their acne to be very lucky because i don't think its the norm.

Has he tried benzoyl peroxide products?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (19-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It CAN help for acne because its also anti bacterial, but you need to be very careful. I would consider those who say its improved their acne to be very lucky because i don't think its the norm.

Has he tried benzoyl peroxide products?
    We tried everything and he ended up having to go on two back to back courses of Roaccutane. It took a long time to see results but he's nearly 17 now and it has finally cleared up, give or take the odd pimple.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    We tried everything and he ended up having to go on two back to back courses of Roaccutane. It took a long time to see results but he's nearly 17 now and it has finally cleared up, give or take the odd pimple.
    Does he have oily/combination skin? Jojoba oil might be a good alternative if you still want to go down the oil route. Just make sure he patch tests for a number of days first to check if it causes breakouts. It shouldn't, but it can still happen, like with any other product.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (19-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does he have oily/combination skin? Jojoba oil might be a good alternative if you still want to go down the oil route. Just make sure he patch tests for a number of days first to check if it causes breakouts. It shouldn't, but it can still happen, like with any other product.
    Thank you.
    Actually he doesn't seem to have oily skin at all, if anything it's on the dry side; just like mine. I've always bought him an oil free moisturiser to use on his face because he had that unusual combo of dry skin and acne outbreaks. I myself have rarely had pimples and always assumed it was due to my very dry skin.
    Right now his biggest battle is the redness he sometimes gets. He is at an age where he is super conscious about his skin.