+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Coconut Oil lovers unite!

Finally jumping on the band wagon after hearing so much about this stuff.
    Questions....
    How do I use it? How do you get the most out of it? What's it best for? Have people successfully treated conditions like eczema, psoriasis, extremely dry skin etc? I suffer from all of these, as does DD.
    It says can be used for hair, too. Will that not result in super oily hair? Do you apply it after shampooing to wet hair and rinse it out or comb through dry hair?
    I've just bathed DD and applied the oil (I was surprised to find it's actually a solid substance, should I have heated it up to melt it??) all over her in place of her usual steroid eczema cream....

Best tips?

ETA: Is it safe to consume uncooked and unrefined? I'm not planning on eating this stuff (not from this particular jar anyway as we've dug our fingers in and applied it all over DD, I'll be using this on our bodies only) but I dabbed it on my dry lips and DD admitted to licking some off her fingers, lol.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 17-06-2016 at 19:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have no tips whatsoever for topical usage but it's great to cook with 😃 all I know is that it has a high smoke point so is better for cooking at high temps. But wanted to come in and say hooray for coconut oil 😃

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (17-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ok coconut oil has been a lifesaver for DS2 and I. We both suffer with psoriasis and exczema.

When the weather is cold it is harder to apply as it goes solid. What I do it keep a smaller container of it in the shower. When I get in I put the container under the hot water so by the time I'm ready to use it, it has liquified or at least softened!

I apply it in the shower. I find it goes on easier and also traps a lot of the moisture in. It does mean you get residue at the base of the shower and it gets on your towels as well. But this is a small price to pay for the massive improvement in our skin. It will not cure your skin problems and I still need to use cortisone for big flare ups for both of us. However I have noticed a substantial reduction in flare ups and the smaller patches it keeps at bay. Plus my skin is just generally more supple and way less flaky!

Another way to use it topically for your daughter is put it in her bath water. It sits on top and will give her a good all over coating!

I haven't ever used it in my hair so not sure about that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (17-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have very sensitive skin and I use coconut oil after my shower as a general all over face and body moisturizer. I love it!
    Have more recently been using it on my pregnancy acne which was all over my back and chest and it has really helped so much. Its not heavy like using olive oil or something and soaks in well. If i feel a little "greasy" it doesnt last long.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Yoghurt For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (17-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use it as a body moisturiser it's liquid most of the year up here but when solid (like now) I find if I rub a little chunk between my hands it goes to liquid pretty quickly with the warmth of my hands.

I only use it on my face if it's really dry. I don't use it in my hair I find it makes it too oily/too hard to wash out properly (but I have a friend who swears by it, maybe a hair type thing).

Safe to eat raw & unrefined. I have a separate jar in the pantry for that (I use it to make raw desserts and slices as well as cooking), but it's the same stuff.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (17-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I use it every night in the kids bath. Ds1 has sensitive skin and suffered all manner of rashes and skin conditions since birth, nothing seemed to work until I used coconut oil in conjunction with dermeze. It definitely helped his skin retain moisture and he hasn't had a flair up in 2 years.
    I have used it in ds2's bath from birth and he's never had a rash or eczema, could be coincidence but I'm going to keep using it just the same.
    I use it on cradle cap but yes it does make their hair oily. How you apply it depends on what you're using it for. For scalp problems I massage then wash with shampoo etc. To use it as a hair moisturiser I would shampoo then apply to the ends sparingly. Give it a good rinse with water afterwards to get rid of as much excess as possible.
    Sometimes I use it on my own skin, I actually made a scrub with it and it's fantastic.
    Yep, it's safe to eat raw. Some people have a spoonful a day! I use it in smoothies and to cook coconut based dishes.
    You can warm it up in your hands to melt it or dip a hot spoon in which is what I do. If you're using it in the bath it will melt after giving the water a good swish.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Koarlo For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (17-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here's what I bought today...
    The smell is amazing! It's such a beautiful thing, I'm in love! DD smells like a little cupcake tonight
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is that any coconut oil?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Putting on hair- i have used it as a hair treatment. You have to melt it either in your hands or put some in a cup and submerge the cup in a bowl of hot water. When its totally melted, smooth through DRY hair. Don't use on wet hair as it may not be as effective (water and oil don't mix obviously) and do it BEFORE washing hair. Leave on either for a few hours or you can put a shower cap on and sleep with it in your hair. You can either smooth in you ends only or smooth through hair and massage on scalp depending on what you want to achieve. Be careful because some people experience hair breakage with coconut oil.

I am currently using coconut oil as a body moisturiser and have been using it like that for about a week. It's amazing, makes my skin so soft and helps the dry spots. Works much better than regular moisturiser. Just melt it in your hands and slather on.

Be careful if you want to try it on your face. It's highly comedogenic (causing breakouts) and not many people can use it on their face. Patch test first.

You can try oil pulling method too where you melt a tablespoon of the oil, place in your mouth and swish for 15 to 20 minutes, spit in the bin and brush your teeth as normal. Meant to make teeth whiter and improve mouth health. Don't know how effective it is though.

Make sure to buy organic, raw, unrefined, virgin or extra virgin coconut oil. You need the unprocessed stuff for outer body care.

Warning: never put the oil down the drain. Because it goes solid it can clog your pipes!!!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (18-06-2016)