+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 5 year old tonsils out

My 5yo is having his tonsils out (due to sleep and breathing issues). I'm suddenly nervous about it! Can anyone share experiences? Was recovery long? Was your little one in a lot of pain? Any hints or tips to get through it? TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's hard when they first wake up but they recover really well. There's been a few threads about this so have a search and read those.

Keep up the food to prevent the scab forming. Real food. Give them pain relieve before they eat. They say two weeks but my DD was back at day care a week later. She recovered exceptionally quick though, don't plan on that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 5 year old tonsils out

I'll bump up I thread a started. It had some great tips and advice. Good luck, my 2 are getting done in just over a week so I will keep you posted.
    Last edited by Happymum2; 17-06-2016 at 13:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS got his out in late feb (just before he turned 3).

The first week was hard, he was sore, sooky and clingy.
    The 2nd week you could see signs of improvement but it def took everyday of the 2wks if not a little longer for him to get back to normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter got hers out just before she turned 4... things went well.. I found the hardest part was seeing her waking up after the surgery.

Once back in the ward all she wanted was a pink donut.. the nurse said go for it .. so she ate a 1/4 of a donut

She had a special build a bear that we built especially to take to hospital
    Last edited by emmiejayne; 17-06-2016 at 15:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son was 5 when he got his out last year. My tips:
    Let them eat whatever they ask for not necessarily soft food so go nuts on sandwiches etc
    Keep up pain relief consistently rather than wait till it gets bad chase your tail
    Keep off for the full 2 weeks recovery, even if they seem chirpy they need to recover and you don't want them at school around germs in that 14 days anyway
    iPads downloaded with some new games will be your friend.
    A wrapped up present for being brave given up on the ward.
    Bring warm clothes and socks and slippers to stay overnight as the hospitals are freezing

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 6 year old had he's tonsils and adenoids out recently. He was a superstar! He ate an hour after he was out and didn't stop eating(barely needed meds), he wanted to run around the next day but obviously due to possible bleeding we stopped him. He stayed away from school for the full two weeks to avoid germs and bleeding x

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter had hers out 2 months ago and I think they handle it better than we do. She was so excited about going into have them done because we kept explaining to her that it meant no more tonsillitis. We brought her a special teddy to take into theatre and hospital with her and I think that helped.

If you go into theatre with him, ask them to explain how he will act when they put him to sleep because it can be quite upsetting for a parent to watch (my daughter wriggled around on the table, her eyes rolled back in her head and just before she went to sleep she seemed to be gasping for breath) but keep in mind these are totally normal side effects and is of no great harm to the child.

Miss 6 was super clingy and upset when she came out of theatre and just wanted to be held, kept repeating mummy mummy I want you even while I was cuddling her, she still wasn't fully with it though, but the nurses in recovery gave her iceblocks to suck while doing ons and waiting to be transferred back to the ward and this helped a lot!!

Once back on the ward she mainly slept, they kept pretty well on top of the meds so she wasn't in any pain, and actually only woke up once during the night complaining of a sore/dry throat.

Once we left the hospital it was basically like nothing had happened, we kept up the pain meds for the next week (mainly pain stop and Panadol/nurofen) but we attended a family wedding 4 days after surgery and she was fine.

She also had adenoids removed and Nasal turbinates drilled so you can imagine how painful I expected it to be and she bounced back beautifully.

Keep up fluids food and pain relief and he'll be fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My 4 Year old hand them out the beginning of this year. Days 4-7 are the worst as this is when the scab comes away and is the most likely time bleeding can happen. We were given oxycodone to give if the nights got bad but thankfully they didn't. I agree on keeping up with pain meds (ie panadol and nurofen). We piggy backed those for a few days and missed one dose as he was asleep and I didn't want to wake him, but we paid for it because he woke up screaming and refused to take the meds!

My sons voice changed in the beginning but went back to normal after a few weeks. He was eating well when keeping up with pain medication. Like others have mentioned keep up hydration.

My ds seemed fine on the day of the op and the day after and this is when the ent told me that the pain will get worse and it really does. Make sure when you've dressed your little one it's in something loose because they put them on a drip and you will be making loads of bathroom trips on the first night.
    Last edited by SookiLala; 17-06-2016 at 21:55.