+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Hidden vegetables

I'm sure I've asked this and I'm sure it's been asked a million times so I'm sorry in advance lol

DS (bit over 2 years) hates fruit and vege. No matter what I try he just won't touch them.

Tonight as an example.. We had ravioli, the sauce had some bits of tomato and onion visible but still very small. He would not touch it until the piece of onion was gone. Like full on meltdown because of one piece of onion?! It's really starting to do my head in.

He will barely try anything new, heaven forbid I attempt to hide something in something he likes and finds it. Full on temper tantrum. I do think he can be a bit of a brat when it comes to food (what 2 year old isn't sometimes lol) this is becoming a joke though.

I'd love some ideas of ways to hide fruit and vege and ways to try to get him to eat them. I am a bit of a pushover at times with food but I do try hard to get him to eat it.

Any tips or tricks would be perfect!

Thanks for making it this far!

X

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do a hidden veg pasta sauce. You can use it in pasta or as a pizza sauce. Basically i just roast a stack of veg / steam some.....then add them to some canned tomatoes, add a grated apple and garlic and herbs etc, whatever really. Then i blitz it all using a hand blender. Kids love it.

Aside from hiding them, just keep offering them, i know its frustrating when they refuse or just throw on the floor but hopefully one day they will get better

Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hidden vegetables

At that age my kids didn't like sauce or bolegnaise type sauces where it was easy to hide veggies. I think it's a textural thing and so unless it's smooth it ain't going in.

Pumpkin soup is a favourite, and stews where veggies like pumpkin, sweet potato etc can be blended till it's a puree.

Finger foods like cucumbers & cherry tomatoes are a hit here, and as they've gotten older, capsicum and carrots have become popular.

HTH!!

ETA.. Pesto is a massive hit here. Blended rocket or spinach with all the other goods, always a hit!
    Last edited by misho; 16-06-2016 at 19:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 2.5 yr old is a terrible eater and has a very limited food list. We've enlisted the help of a nutritionist and are on a 3 week programme to try and stretch his food preferences. The main thing I've learned is that putting the food down in front of him is not going to make him try it, just results in full on temper, pushing plate away etc. So this week our challenge is to use sensory play to get him interested in a few new foods. It's working really well. We played a silly game rolling dry pasta down a tray then cooked in and did same and he then wanted to try it. Now it's his new favourite food and wolfs it down. I'm still doing it slowly though, only dry cooked pasta with ketchup for dipping and with time I'll try and progress to ketchup on it, then a sauce etc. It's all about baby steps for some kids.

The same for fruit. Things he used to like if I put them in a bowl he won't touch but this week we have been making picture with kiwi circles as Suns and he then asked to eat them and ate 1.5 kiwis. Similar today with watermelon, we cut bits of fruit up and make faces on a plate and he wanted to eat the melon.
    I'm sure there are lots of ideas on google for games but just use your imagination (yesterday I put porridge in a piping bag and made shapes on plate but no interest in trying yet!!).
    Also although it's a massive pain try to get him involved in food preparation as that's when he's more likely to try things and most toddlers love to help.
    Don't stress though, you are not alone and just be super patient and take it slow. Make it as fun as possible and try foods that are similar to things he already likes, eg my toddler likes breaded chicken so we've managed to branch out to breaded fish now.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (16-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is an awesome recipe my boys are pretty good veggies eaters but a friends little boy who will only eat tomatoes and carrots inhaled it.

http://skinnymixers.com.au/skinnymix...-cheese-twist/

Really easy to make without a thermo cooker. Just steam veggies and purée, cook pasta, make sauce and mix all together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I made slow cooker ratatoulle and thought I'd try blending some down and it tasted like pasta sauce and my 3 year old gobbled if up with pasta, hehe. Not the best way but at least some veg!

I sauté two chopped onions in garlic and olive oil too soft. Then cubed/chopped up carrots, potato, sweet potato, asparagus, capsicum, celery, broccoli and threw into slow cooker. Added in a tin of lentils, a tin of chickpea, two tins of whole tomatoes and one tin full of vegie stock and water, then a bit of extra water if needed and the onions, salt and pepper. Cooked for about 8 hours in slowcooker and blitzed a cup for DS to see if he'd eat it. Easy to make lots and freeze in portions.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (16-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has been a devil with food pretty much since day 1! Never even ate veggie purée as a baby Anyway, fast forward to 3 and she has improved so much. So there can be light at the end of the tunnel.
    My hidden veggie meals are:
    Sausage rolls: use a normal recipe then add veggies to the sausage mince mix. I steam sweet potato, zucchini and carrot then purée them.
    Baked beans - I buy the 'sneaky veg' variety
    Pizzas - I add very finely diced capsicum and mushroom to the tomato passata
    Fried rice - the veggies are visible in this but she will eat them finely diced. I make it with carrot, peas, celery and capsicum.
    She will now eat peas, corn and baked potato on their own so we have lots of chicken meals with those veg.
    I have never forced her to eat something she doesn't like - I was made to as a kid and hated it and I don't think it helped me at all. I only ask that she tries it and if she doesn't like it, that's ok, she is offered another healthy alternative.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (16-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you ladies so much!!! These are wonderful!! I do feel hopeful now!! I try Alot of different things and of course we get no where so feel let down all the time hahaha. I should add DF is not a vegetable or fruit eater. He's only just having some vegetable with dinner now because I've told him he's making it so much harder for me to get DS to eat them. He's reluctantly eating them but DS isn't.
    I'm going to give these a go! I can't go wrong. It can't get much worse! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds is stating to refuse veggies except for mushrooms (???). Dips work well over here - homemade hommus and guac he will wolf down with crackers or biscuits. He loves peas and corn (just because they're small I think). Anything else though he will not touch and picks out of his meals. I hide veg in things like rissoles, chicken nuggets (made with minced chicken and veg), bolognaise etc. Omelettes might be worth trying if your DS can/will eat eggs and DS always eats pureed veg soup (pumpkin, potato & leek, pea etc).

I will also continue to give him steamed veg because even though I know he wont eat it it's important that he sees the veg and sees me and DH eating it. He doesn't eat it and that's ok, I wont force it on him but I want him to be exposed as much as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to make "cupcakes" but in fact it was zucchini slice. DS loved them and so did all the kids at the end of term kindy parties. He knows now it is veggies. Same went for pasta sauce i grated the veggies into the sauce. There's also Latina kids range of ravioli you could try that aswell