+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Travelling to Bali pregnant??

I'm so confused. I booked tickets for a family vacation in Bali. I will be 7 weeks pregnant at the time of travel.
    Do u think I just cancel it? Won't get money back but it's not about the money. I would love to go relax.. Have some coconuts.. Swim..
    But if there is high chance I will miss carry then I wouldn't go.

Has anyone done it? I have been to Bali heaps so know where to not eat.. Just scared because this pregnancy has been a long time coming!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's a totally personal thing but I will say that I have 5 friends who have all been to Bali in the last month (all separate trips/friends and regular bali go-ers) and all have come back really sick :S

Congratulations on the pregnancy xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Me personally, no I wouldnt go. But thats because ive been crook each time I have been.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would and have been to Bali pregnant (twice). Just be vigilant with your hand hygiene, only eat well cooked very hot food and bottled water only obviously. The BIMC (Bali International Medical) is an Australian Health certified hospital and provides excellent care if you need it. Obviously you need to ensure your health insurance covers you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a tricky one, there are definitely ways to avoid getting sick: don't have any ice in your drink, no uncooked vegetables or fruits that don't have a thick skin, brush your teeth with bottled water, wash your hands with bottled water and carry hand sanitiser everywhere. But sometimes you just can't control it, like cutlery, money etc. It depends very much on the kind of holiday you have booked. DH and I travelled Bali for a month, backpacker style, and I only got sick for a day or two but it wasn't fun so I can't imagine it while pregnant.

The biggest risk is that the kind of thing that can make you sick there is parasites, which sometimes take a while to get out of your system and I don't know the effect on baby. Unfortunately you can't rely on the Balinese to assure you where something comes from and how it's been handled because it doesn't make them sick so they don't understand our concern.

This is a question for your doctor I think. If you do decide to go, make sure you take a strong probiotic with every meal and have pregnancy-safe medication on hand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been to Bali pregnant twice (once 28 weeks, the other 17 weeks) I didn't get any type of sickness at all either time.
    Only eat at restaurants not street stalls or McDonalds etc and drink bottled water. I was very careful and only ate certain things.
    I wouldn't cancel it. At 7 weeks you will probably have morning sickness and not eating a great deal anyway. Just take hydrolyte and nausea tablets with you incase.
    Congratulations

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm just back from a week in Bali at 20 weeks pregnant. I'm of the opinion that if something was to happen, you can go to the BIMC & get good care there.
    I also went when pregnant with DD.
    Take all the usual precautions: bottled water, piping hot food etc. I didn't eat hamburgers or steak over there as a precaution.
    We tend to stay in the hotel & relax a lot so mainly ate there.
    Mosquito protection is important to avoid dengue fever.
    I don't see why you shouldn't go - enjoy the relaxation! My first preggo trip all I did was swim, lay by the pool, read, massage and eat - bliss! Different kettle of fish with a 2 year old but we enjoyed our recent trip too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Travelling to Bali pregnant??

I've been to Bali at 11/12 weeks pregnant with DS1 in tow, and I would say it's absolutely fine to do it. Just do all the things suggested above. I was very conscious of washed fruit and veggies, so I only ate cooked things, nothing raw. Avoid the fruit juices as you don't know if they use water & ice inside. I would also avoid swimming in the ocean due to potential parasites but in a pool is fine as it's chlorinated. I had a good time (although must admit it's a lot more fun without a 18 month old in tow, we went for our honeymoon and that was amazing!).

I wouldn't cancel. I don't believe you would have a miscarriage because of something you ate. You can just as easily get food poisoning here, but you wouldn't be as careful here.

Enjoy your holiday! And congrats on your pregnancy!

ETA- it also depends I guess on how long you're going for. We only went for a week so it was an easy amount of time to be vigilant. Any longer than that and it would have been difficult for me to avoid fresh stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. We booked for 20 days! I think that's too long. I wouldn't swim in the ocean more relaxing at the hotel and going shopping..
    still confused. I know my mum would say no way don't do it but in my head I think it will be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    This would seal the deal for me and I would not go

http://m.smh.com.au/world/australian...17-gplzgd.html