Argh I can't handle 3 kids!!!! | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmm...can't really help here as I've been in the same position but am out the other side now contemplating how I'm going to juggle solo 3 kids in sport in the next yr or 2..arghh.
    My youngest DS used to also nap at 3pmish...but I would only let him sleep for 30 mins or so or it would mess up his night sleep. Actually my DS1 was exactly the same, I would have to wake him for kindy run.
    I used to do dinner prep in the morningidday when the toddler was relatively happy playing or "helping". Meals were extremely simple but healthy in those yrs...ie I'd make a salad early then quickly cook some fish/steak/chicken to go with it. Or chuck a pre-made lasagne or pasta bake in the oven while doing the homework/bath business.
    Often I'll drop one kiddo, run home, cook dinner, feed and bath younger ones, do pick up in PJ'S and home for bed.
    It's exhausting but I'm glad my kids do lots of sport. It's keeping my teen busy while lots of kids are just hanging out in front of a screen.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (17-06-2016),Ruby_Tuesday15  (08-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 3 - 1, 3 & 5. I always feel like I relate to your posts. I find the afterschool time until bed time just crazily busy. We travel for school, so only get home from school pick up at 4.30. Dinner is usually at 5, because the 1yo is cracking the sh!ts if it is any later. After dinner is bath & homework, which brings us to about 6-6.15ish - then 20-30mins of tv before bedtime routine of teeth,stories,etc. Usually lights out by 7. In the evening I always have the kitchen clean, lunches prepped & clothes set out for the next day, otherwise mornings I start on the back foot - we leave the house by 7.45, so need to be organised. I try to do the next-day prep during the 20 mins of tv time, but if not I do it after bed time. I try to stick to the rule of being sitting down & relaxing by 9pm. Often I can at 8.30 though (sometimes even 8!). I just cant imagine fitting in after school activities too! Just the thought of it stresses me out. I would cut back on the activities for sure, and either put the baby to sleep earlier for a short nap (say 1.30-2pm - I'd do a snuggly feed at this time if that worked for her to have a little doze) OR keep her up & try my best not to let her sleep late in the afternoon. If she did fall asleep, I would wake her after 10 mins. That evening time to yourself is just too precious, and you need to be able to recharge yourself! I always ALWAYS prep & cook dinner during the daytime - usually straight after lunch when Im cleaning up. Sometimes I'll do it straight after brekky or pop the stuff in the slow cooker dish the night before & put it in the fridge. If dinner isnt cooked &ready to be served by 4 or 4.30, its not going to happen. Toast or microwaved leftovers it is

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (17-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Argh I can't handle 3 kids!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Thanks but I'm refusing to do stuff at night now. I didn't mind getting organised when dd2 was a baby as there was down time during the day and babies are so much easier than toddlers! Now she is 2 she's a crazy ball of energy all day long so when she finally sleeps at 8.30/9 it's me time! Well usually still need to finish tidying up after dinner but no more folding laundry and preparing for the next day it's literally my only time for myself!! They usually eat pretty well had planned to cut up some salad veggies for them for before swimming but had 2 year old sleeping on me and 3rd day of her clinging to me and feeling so rushed I was like oh whatever sure eat the crackers and served up pasta again for dinner, didn't even wince as they tucked into chips after dinner!
    I get their uniforms etc ready when they are upstairs bathing/showering and getting ready for bed. It doesn't have to impede on your me time.

It just means that you have to do it while they're doing other things or you need to get your husband to help.

I have 3 kids as well, two are at school in year 2 and kindy. I also work 3 days a week and my kids have dancing, footy training, girl guides after school plus swimming, dancing and footy on the weekends.

What I find works best is taking my 3 year old out in the morning (she does swimming lessons on Fridays and then to gym Creche) to get her worn out, then she will happily come home and watch tv or play in her room whilst I clean or get dinner ready and hang washing out.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Redcorset  (17-06-2016),RmumR  (17-06-2016),VicPark  (17-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with taking toddlers out in the mornings. I usually take my toddlers out every morning & do fun activities. After lunch, one still sleeps, the other one has 'quiet time' - either alone in her bedroom (reading stories etc) or a bit of tv. Then I get 30 mins to myself in the afternoom for a quiet coffee and to recharge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Unfortunately my eldest doesn't see any issue with having an activity every night but she's used to just being able to do whatever she wants!
    This doesn't sound good :-/
    I'm all for respecting children and letting them make (some of) their own choices, but you're still the adult in charge. The older she gets, thinking she can do whatever she wants is going to get increasingly dangerous, time to work on that attitude now? She can sacrifice one of her sports for the good of the family, even if it's for the short term?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think if your eldest is going back to competitive gymnastics then she has to drop dancing (and maybe swimming until the days are longer again). It's a good opportunity for you to flex some parental muscle. You are not her slave and believe it or not you will be doing her a favour.

Learning that we can't always get everything we want is an important life lesson that helps build strength of character and resilience. I bet we can all list off a billion times when we have had to give up something to sacrifice for something else - that is LIFE.

Sorry to get a bit ranty, but as a teacher I have so many kids who are just soooo self entitled. They expect the world to be able to revolve around their wants and it causes so many social and behavioural issues.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (17-06-2016),LouLaa  (17-06-2016),Redcorset  (17-06-2016),smallpotatoes  (17-06-2016),SuperGranny  (17-06-2016)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi freyamum, I just want to share a bit with you. I had four kids and my baby was always being interrupted from sleep, or whatever he might have been doing, because I had to get the others to and from any number of things. I was always doing the running around on my own, ( my dh worked away from home a lot), try not to stress about all the craziness. It does come to an end, and the odd night of less than perfect dinners, or miss matched uniforms, doesn't leave any real damage. Do try to make adjustments if you are really beginning to loose the plot, but don't worry about any 'harm' to the children. hugs, marie.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (17-06-2016),LouLaa  (17-06-2016),Ruby_Tuesday15  (08-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    I think if your eldest is going back to competitive gymnastics then she has to drop dancing (and maybe swimming until the days are longer again). It's a good opportunity for you to flex some parental muscle. You are not her slave and believe it or not you will be doing her a favour.

Learning that we can't always get everything we want is an important life lesson that helps build strength of character and resilience. I bet we can all list off a billion times when we have had to give up something to sacrifice for something else - that is LIFE.

Sorry to get a bit ranty, but as a teacher I have so many kids who are just soooo self entitled. They expect the world to be able to revolve around their wants and it causes so many social and behavioural issues.
    Thanks yes she's definitely dropping dancing. We might continue with swimming for a term as I want her brother to keep going. It should work if I can get an earlier time. Her dad is sports mad so he's always encouraging them to do whatever they show interest in. So she's just reacting to being used to being allowed to do any sport. Her gym days will clash with dancing so she suggested she change to another class her friend is in. I'm trying to remind her that 8 hours of gym a week is going to take its toll and she admits it's really just to see her friend and maybe we could swing by the dance studio instead to catch her on her way out!! Picking my jaw off the floor I try and calmly remind her that there are 2 other children's needs not to mention 2 adults, 1 of which currently has zero hobbies / sport / social life outside of home!!
    Might be a good time to try and get them doing their Sunday chores again - sometimes it's just easier and quicker to do it all myself but not good for anyone in the long run!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Can you do dinner prep during the day? Or spend a couple of hours on the weekend cooking meals for the nights everything is a rush? Even if you just do things like pre-chop meat on a weekend, and the pre-chop vegies on the day when the older two are at school...then you just need to cook it when you get home. Make a double batch of something so that you have an easy dinner the next night.
    There are many ways around avoiding the night time rush...it just takes a bit of planning ahead.
    Thanks I do try and meal plan but never so organised as to prepare anything in the day. And so much else to do in house and getting out with toddler etc. so wish we had some safe space outside for her to play but that's another vent!!
    I like the idea of cooking at the weekend I think I might start doing that while ms9 is at her Saturday gym practice. Needs to be set in stone in our house or won't happen!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    i know what you mean i struggle as well just wanted to say it will get batter as they get older