+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I'd still be pushing for them to set measurable goals. If they can't give him the exact outcome that they want him to work towards, how can he make sure he's working towards that?

It does sound like a dodgy company so I think it's a good idea that he looks for something else!
    I said this to him this morning. he agrees but said it's hard to get quantifiable deliverables in a creative job.

he's looking around elsewhere as we speak. I'm finding myself getting too stressed out, unable to sleep etc. I'm scared I'm at risk of pnd if this carries on

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Sounds like he is doing the right thing looking elsewhere turquoisecoast. Having worked in the industry I know there are a lot of dodgy Cowboys in the mix and what he needs right now is job security not airy fairy creative bullsh1t. Do you think he would work in a corporate environment ie in house in a large corporate organisation? I have found they have much better, clearer HR policies (and often pay better). That's one of the reasons I stopped working in agencies and started in corporate. Not as much freedom design wise but much better work conditions.
    we actually had this convo last night and he said how in house always pays better because it's more boring work. but the job security is there.

I'm so over the egos in this creative industry. it's like these bosses are trying to reach these lofty creative ideals and produce the creative equivalent of unicorns spewing rainbows or something

it's hard as I feel powerless stuck at home on mat leave! my ppl just ran out too so I'm literally on zero income!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (17-06-2016),sunnygirl79  (17-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my work I've been able to extend probation periods before, both workplaces with it explicitly in the contract and also without.
    I've only done so when I wanted someone to step up enough for me/ the org to keep them on. It can be hard in higher level (or team leader) roles to demonstrate all necessary competencies within 6 months. It takes at least3 months to settle in & adapt to the workplace culture! That's my humble opinion.
    However, if I've been unhappy with a new employee and can't see their potential within the role I've dismissed within that initial probation period - but usually they've known it was on the cards through regular supervision & feedback.
    If it came as news, I encourage him looking elsewhere!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MUG81 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (17-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default does this sound right? extension of probation...

Once he leaves this awful place, make sure he contacts ATO and gets his super paid. The ATO will do an employer obligation audit on the company and force them to pay the super. Sucked in!

ETA - they will actually be forced to pay all the unpaid super to all their current and ex employees.

Honestly, dodgy employers grind my gears! Gah!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Once he leaves this awful place, make sure he contacts ATO and gets his super paid. The ATO will do an employer obligation audit on the company and force them to pay the super. Sucked in!

ETA - they will actually be forced to pay all the unpaid super to all their current and ex employees.

Honestly, dodgy employers grind my gears! Gah!!!
    he's been told by a couple of former employees that non payment of super is nothing new!! honestly this grinds my gears too. it's such dog behaviour...thinking people are too stupid to check if it's been paid and think they can just not pay it. I love being an accountant sometimes

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (17-06-2016),witherwings  (17-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    he's been told by a couple of former employees that non payment of super is nothing new!! honestly this grinds my gears too. it's such dog behaviour...thinking people are too stupid to check if it's been paid and think they can just not pay it. I love being an accountant sometimes
    Lots of employers aren't meeting super obligations .. It's very common. I hope he finds another job soon at a company that appreciates their employees. Sorry this is stressing you out so much

10. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (18-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    it's an issue because the employer treats staff like sh!t. did you miss the part where I said the super hasn't been paid? another staff member was bullied and had to go on stress leave then was forced to "resign" (aka fired) whilst on stress leave. they then tried to backdate her "resignation" to avoid paying the week of stress leave and tried to only give 1 weeks pay in lieu of notice (contract said 6 and she had to fight for it).

try and see it from the employers perspective? what's that, that IR laws don't apply?

idiot.
    Sorry I didn't read that part.. That is a separate issue however it does point to them having financial issues or being dodgy. In any event I hope it gets sorted soon.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nattie84 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (18-06-2016)