+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nope DD1 has never stayed away from us. I would love to take a holiday with just DH but will wait until kids are older. And I think I could probably only go 5 days max. Thinking somewhere in SE Asia.

Maybe when the kids are 6 years and 3 years ( DD2 is a Newbie)

Enjoy your "you" time I think it's very beneficial for mothers to recharge

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueLips For This Useful Post:

MrsIsMe  (17-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to the UK for two weeks when my son was 1 yrs old. It was great, absolutely no guilt here. I don't see a problem if you are leaving them in trusted hands. I wanted to spend a lot of time with my folks who are ill and didn't want the cost and hassle of a baby on a long haul flight. I didn't feel bad at all but I am used to my partner doing 50/50 with care. I think all mums and dads should be able to have their own time away once a year at least! (in an ideal world)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bongley For This Useful Post:

LouLaa  (18-06-2016),MrsIsMe  (17-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. Me and partner do this often on weekends (once a month) and have gone away up to a week (before the youngest came along).
    My parents did this too. Me and my sister often stayed at our grandparents. We loved it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Homeschooling4 For This Useful Post:

MrsIsMe  (17-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD2 had her first sleep over with nan n pop when she was about 6 months old. They adore having her even for a night. Since then I (am single) have had a 10 day and also a 6 day trip to SOuth Africa for donor eggs/fertility treatment plus another 3 trips ranging from 4 to 6 days interstate for treatment in order to have another Bub. I intend to have up to a week away each year for as long as nana and pop are able to babysit. My parents took 2 week vacations every year minus kids up till we were about 10 yrs old.

I missed my Bub like crazy.. But also see the value in recharging and taking some alone time to read, shop, eat, see movies, relax.

Go for it... Don't feel guilty. You have to look after yourself in order to look after your family!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kylie764 For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (18-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    8 years of parenting is 2900ish continuous days of being a mother. A few nights off might do you the world of good, recharge your batteries. If they can't stay with close family, then I'd think about a couple of nights away with a friend and they stay with their dad. Even just a weekend all to yourself. I wouldn't feel guilty about that at all!

I'd be fine leaving mine when they're older for a few days with grandparents. They love spending time with them and a few days of adult time can do the world of good.

It's funny the way it works. Most mums I know have partners who travel for work, or do trips of a week or so away but most mums haven't left their kids for one night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    To those leaving their kids with their partner for over a week, how do they manage it with work?

I'd really like to tell DH to go for a holiday but not sure how I'd manage the kids on my own with working 60 hrs week...

I feel like DH didn't get a good deal with his wife! 😳

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    To those leaving their kids with their partner for over a week, how do they manage it with work?

I'd really like to tell DH to go for a holiday but not sure how I'd manage the kids on my own with working 60 hrs week...

My DH can do some work from home. I am a shift worker, so we utilise OOSH, familiar babysitters and/or family. When my kids were little I was a SAHM. We used to just head off for a night or two when they were little, though. Longer trips happened as they got older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post

I don't have a partner but my mum took 3 weeks annual leave so I could go overseas. I was overseas for 16 days then she stayed an extra night when I was back so I could have a night out with a few drinks. My dad couldn't cope with DS even though kiddo is a really great kid, one of the easiest I have ever come across especially now that he is older.

I couldn't ever go away if I didn't have the help I have. My parents share babysitting during the week and the weekends because I work night shift. Could you take leave so hubby can go and way?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by michellek View Post
    None for me. I've had 3 nights away from dd (4) when I went into hospital to have ds. I honestly don't know if I would relax or enjoy myself being away from them. My child free time full stop is very, very limited (no family nearby & dh works long hours)
    This is me. 1 night away from dd1 to have ds then 1 night away from both to have cancer cut out, then 1 night to have dd2. No family either side in the country, dp gone 7-7 during the week. When I was in hosp for surgery I promised myself I would have a night away but then dd2 came along...dp rarely has sole charge of all 3 kids so I don't know that I could relax!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Two nights away from DD1 ever and that was to have DD2.
    Hubby has spent one night away from her and that was our wedding night and he still came and put her to bed first.
    Holidays, etc are planned with our family in mind. But we had children later (30's). So feel we've had adequate "us" time and weekends away etc.