+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 13w old, four feeds a day?

DD is 13w old and ebf. She usually feeds (both sides) at roughly 7am, 10.30-11, 2, 6 and 9pm. Feeding on demand, and jet bedtime is around 7. For the last few nights she has been sleeping straight through and missing the last feed. She sleeps through until 7am, which sounds perfect, but I'm worried that four feeds a day isn't enough at 13w old.
    I tried a dream feed last night but she didn't wake up enough to feed. I would need to take her nappy off to wake her enough to feed i think.
    She has her 3 month weigh in tomorrow to check that she's still doing OK with her weight. She has been on 50th percentile since birth.
    What do you think- should I let her sleep through, or wake her up to feed?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If she's happy, healthy, gaining weight and having dirty nappies I would leave her and enjoy the sleeps!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (16-06-2016),SJ565  (15-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never woke up my newborn to feed. She was perfectly healthy & on track developmentally. She's grown into a toddler with a small appetite. That's just her 'normal'. I wouldn't worry if baby seems ok from all other indicators.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to YeahYeahYeah For This Useful Post:

SJ565  (15-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    nappy output and weight gain are the only reliable and quantifiable signs you can go with. as long as she's not losing weight/weight has plateaued I'd say she should be on track. the main concern would be your supply diminishing given she appears to have dropped the 9pm feed and you're going 12 hours without feeding.

if it were me, I'd get bubs checked out to rule out any problems that may be causing them to sleep through and to check she's gaining weight. if those two things are fine, I wouldn't worry about it and enjoy the extra sleep she's giving you!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

SJ565  (15-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been going through the exact same thing! My 13 week old had been sleeping through since 10 weeks from 6pm till 8am! No feeds at all! She then feeds demand but it's really only about 4 times a day. She has wet nappies and is happy and healthy never cried. She has gained weight but sort of slow so nurse said to keep an eye on her weight gain. My supply has dropped a bit so will be baking some lactation cookies as I find it quite low during the afternoon feeds

9. The Following User Says Thank You to maco For This Useful Post:

SJ565  (16-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's unusual BUT output and weight gain are what matter.
    There's no way my bubs would have been efficient enough to have only 4 feeds at that age, but my storage capacity would have allowed for it (can store about 200ml per boob).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

SJ565  (16-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS started doing this at 12/13 weeks and then the 4 month sleep regression hit hard and he was back to having 2 feeds overnight!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to michellead For This Useful Post:

SJ565  (16-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS2 did this around 11/12 weeks and sleeping 7 till 8. He was having fantastic gains went from 25 to 75 percentile so I just let him be. He also dropped to just morning and night feed pretty early too. He is now 17 months and a big boy who is happy and healthy and sleeps like a dream. If it's working I say go for it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sproutx3 For This Useful Post:

SJ565  (16-06-2016)