+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Drop in supply a week before af

DS who is now 11 weeks has been feeding every hour to two hours all day today. His wetting nappies, but I totally feel very empty. My periods due in exactly a week.

Wondering if supply will automatically go back up or if I should be pumping or taking supplements?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like bub is doing what he needs to to get your supply regulated to what he needs (frequent feeds).
    I wouldn't worry so much about feeling 'empty' I think by around 3 months supply has stabilised a lot and your breasts won't feel as full or heavy and may also reduce in size. As long as he has wet nappies and doesn't start losing weight then I'm sure your supply is fine. I had spurts of ridiculous amounts of feeding every now and again til about 6-7 months due to growth spurts, comfort feeding, regulating supply etc.
    You say af is due - have you had it postpartum already? I am 11 months postpartum and still haven't had it return so can't comment on how that impacts feeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I got my period 8 weeks post partum. I totally feel gypt! I don't think I ever won't longer than 4 hours without a feed over night and I still got it.

I had an oversupply in the beginning so the reduction in supply before af wasn't so noticeable. It is definitely noticeable this cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmInayah View Post
    I got my period 8 weeks post partum. I totally feel gypt! I don't think I ever won't longer than 4 hours without a feed over night and I still got it.

I had an oversupply in the beginning so the reduction in supply before af wasn't so noticeable. It is definitely noticeable this cycle.
    It may just be coincidence, the natural regulation that happens around this time so unless there is a reduction in nappies or weight loss I wouldn't worry just yet. The extra feeding could be lots of things and the empty feeling I know is freaky but also wouldn't worry me. I still feed 3-5 times a day and my DD is 11 months. My boobs have shrunk heaps over the past 2 months like there is nothing in them! But apparently there is 😊 I think as feeding goes on size/shape/feel isn't a great indicator of supply.
    And yes that sucks 8 weeks isn't fair!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the advise.

Bub has a tongue tie which was snipped and never made much difference to feeding. He has a shallow latch but I can hear him swallowing and although he clicks, he's gaining thankfully and putting on weight so my lc wasn't worried.

I was hoping it was just because of af, but you're right there are so many things it could be.. Growth spurts etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It sounds very much like your bub did not have his tongue tie revised correctly. He still has a posterior tongue tie

http://www.tinysparkswa.org.au/blog/...-upper-lip-tie

If bub can not move the tongue properly then the breast does not get drained completely. This can lead to supply issues (over and under supply can happen).

Have a read of this article and see what you think. Check out the FB pages and other resources that are listed at the bottom of the article. Good luck. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks RCS , I've read so much about tongue tie it isn't funny. We had as much sipped as we could that wasn't sub mucosal. I know he is transferring milk well thankfully and I can feel him sucking etc, he doesn't just ride let downs so I am hopeful it's okay.

I may have it looked at again in a month if it's still poor when he's a bit bigger. He has a high arched palate due to the tie as well and the lc was sure this would still impact on his latch regardless of whethet the tie was lasered or not.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SookiLala For This Useful Post:

RedCreamingSoda  (16-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has been EBF since day 1, we co-sleep and I feed her at night but my periods came back 3 months pp (after bleeding for 6 weeks...) I have always noticed that the week before my period, I feel emptier. My baby is now 9 months old, and whilst we started solids at 6 months, breastmilk still makes up the majority of her calorie intake. Most of the time, she will only feed from one side, during that week she might take both sides and still seem like she would have more; I just feed her more regularly and I've never needed to supplement.

She's 90% for height and weight (was only 75% weight at birth), so she's doing well. I would watch the weight and nappies, but I think this is normal and a problem some women have always had (others don't seem to get their periods back so quickly).

I also find that around ovulation, feeding becomes a bit painful :s

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashling View Post
    My DD has been EBF since day 1, we co-sleep and I feed her at night but my periods came back 3 months pp (after bleeding for 6 weeks...) I have always noticed that the week before my period, I feel emptier. My baby is now 9 months old, and whilst we started solids at 6 months, breastmilk still makes up the majority of her calorie intake. Most of the time, she will only feed from one side, during that week she might take both sides and still seem like she would have more; I just feed her more regularly and I've never needed to supplement.

She's 90% for height and weight (was only 75% weight at birth), so she's doing well. I would watch the weight and nappies, but I think this is normal and a problem some women have always had (others don't seem to get their periods back so quickly).

I also find that around ovulation, feeding becomes a bit painful :s
    Omg thank you a million times over for this post.

This is exactly what has been happening with me. I went as far as weighing nappies because I was so worried. He's distractable at the moment as well so interested in anything but feeding during the day so I have to make sure I cover his head or feed in darkened room!

His total weight in nappies was 320 grams today. Lol.