+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Singles mummies what does your budget look like?

Hi everyone

I'm a recently single mum of 1 with number 2 due in November. I've been living with my parents since March this year and want to move out on my own very soon so I'm trying to do up a budget. I've applied for a place to rent which is $310 per week including water. I also do not own a car. This is what my budget looks like so far -

Budget per fortnight
    Income:
    SPP & FTB & RA = $1188
    Child support = $270
    (Total = $1458 )

Bills
    Rent = $620
    Food Inc nappies = $200
    Phone = $70
    Internet = $50
    Electricity/Gas = $100
    Bdays/Christmas = $50
    Clothes/toys = $50
    Vitamins/medications = $40
    Haircuts = $25
    Kids savings account = $25
    Entertainment = $30
    (Total = $1230)

Savings left over for emergencies etc. = $200

Is there anything I have forgotten to add or under budgeted for?
    What do your budgets look like?
    Thank you!
    Last edited by mamatotwo; 15-06-2016 at 17:16.

Thanks
    Reviews

Have you put into the Centrelink estimator what your PPS & FTB would be with $270 per fortnight child support in it? I only ask because my CS estimate was $80 per week and my FTB was reduced because of this. Including rent assistance I received $1135 fortnightly.

Otherwise your budget looks good and I don't think you've forgotten anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh dear no I haven't taken that into consideration! Do you know roughly how much it will be reduced by?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mamatotwo For This Useful Post:

myboy  (16-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I total approx $1400 fortnight. (You won't get quite that amount of rental assistance. I think it might be about $50 less but check that out). I have 2 toddlers. I put $300 fortnight to bills, $700 to rent and live on the rest, approx $400. We use all of this with activities/food/clothes/nappies etc. so i would say your $200 fortnight might be a little low for groceries but i could be wrong. I budget for one day of child care so that i can get to appointments, train for re-entering work and get jobs done. This costs me nearly $60. Adding to your list i have insurance (contents/health/car) and the running costs of a car with fuel, rego, services etc. So for me there isn't extra for savings at this stage.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

mamatotwo  (15-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mamatotwo View Post
    Oh dear no I haven't taken that into consideration! Do you know roughly how much it will be reduced by?
    I can't remember exactly as this was over 3 years ago now, but if you plug it into the estimator then you will get a fair idea. It also doesn't matter whether he actually pays you CS or not, my ex was absolutely hopeless & rarely paid, so my FTB was reduced & I also wasn't actually receiving any CS, I was fuming! I actually think I got $110 per week at that stage, but it changed all the time. I also only received about $90 in rent assistance.

The estimators are pretty spot on, but since I was on PPS there may have been changes to rates etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is the phone and Internet per fortnight or month? I pay $60 a month for phone on an unlimited plan and $60 a month for home internet so $120 a fortnight seems a lot!

Also I know you don't have a car but what about public transport tickets?

Insurance if you want it.

I would allow money per fortnight for what we call walking around money. So if you want to buy a coffee or a treat for kids. Also think about setting a budget for 'entertainment' whether that's the odd trip to the pool, movies etc. and lastly a budget/savings for emergencies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lulupetal View Post
    I can't remember exactly as this was over 3 years ago now, but if you plug it into the estimator then you will get a fair idea. It also doesn't matter whether he actually pays you CS or not, my ex was absolutely hopeless & rarely paid, so my FTB was reduced & I also wasn't actually receiving any CS, I was fuming! I actually think I got $110 per week at that stage, but it changed all the time. I also only received about $90 in rent assistance.

The estimators are pretty spot on, but since I was on PPS there may have been changes to rates etc.
    Thank you! Do you know where I can find the estimator? I'm hopeless at navigating the centrelink site lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Is the phone and Internet per fortnight or month? I pay $60 a month for phone on an unlimited plan and $60 a month for home internet so $120 a fortnight seems a lot!

Also I know you don't have a car but what about public transport tickets?

Insurance if you want it.

I would allow money per fortnight for what we call walking around money. So if you want to buy a coffee or a treat for kids. Also think about setting a budget for 'entertainment' whether that's the odd trip to the pool, movies etc. and lastly a budget/savings for emergencies!
    Yep that's per fortnight unfortunately and I'm on 24 months contract so can't get out of it early I'm rural and can only go with telstra too which sucks!
    I didn't budget for public transport because everything is within walking distance luckily and I will get groceries home delivered.
    Entertainment savings is a good idea thank u!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mamatotwo View Post
    Thank you! Do you know where I can find the estimator? I'm hopeless at navigating the centrelink site lol
    Don't think we are allowed to link but if you google 'Centrelink rate estimators' it's one of the first that comes up

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lulupetal For This Useful Post:

mamatotwo  (15-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! I found the online calculator and have updated the budget . It is definitely less with Child support taken into consideration (RA came down $50!!)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mamatotwo For This Useful Post:

lulupetal  (15-06-2016)