+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What's your 2 year olds week like??

I'm feeling under pressure and makes me want to examine how we do things and think if there's a better way or am I just not up to this parenting 3 kids???

This is my week:
    Daily ms2 watching tv while I make lunches / breakfasts try and get out door on time for school. Double drop off 2 days. Walk / drive pick up.

Monday - catch up with mothers group / try and get out to park or feed ducks. No after school activities so start homework and eat proper dinner
    Tuesday - spends a few hours at occasional care. Arvo homework and then 15min drive drop ms9 to gymnastics. Start dinner at 6.30 so bath is 7/7.30. Bed about 8/8.30
    Wednesday: home trying to catch up on housework / washing. Pick up kids. Home for 20mins then drop ms9 to dancing for 4. Try and make dinner. Pick up 5.30. Rush back to get mr7 to eat before dad picks up for rugby at 6. Aim for 6.30 bath.
    Thursday: drop kids and quickly home to tidy up before out to playgroup. Usually some errand after. Pick up kids. Home for snack then all off to pool for swimming lessons. Me and ms2 in pool together. Get home to start dinner at 6.30. Late to bed.
    Friday: kindygym. Usually home then trying to catch up on washing etc. nothing after school usually pizza and movie.

I don't know if this is normal these days? We have no safe place outside for ms2 to play without me so I feel like she doesn't get nearly enough free play time. Sometimes I wonder if she'd be better off in full time care playing all day and me finding a job and kids would have to only do sport at the weekends? If no-one is home during the week to mess the house is there a lot less housework to do??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm sure you don't need me to tell you this, but having a little one plus school age kids is veerry different to having just one or 2 under 4.

All the school commitments and extra curricular activities just have to be worked around and the youngest just has to work around it.

I think this is part of why my just-turned 3yo has been such a bad sleeper - because I couldn't let him set his own routines and follow his cues.

Anyhow bit of a sidetrack. Back to the topic.

I can see a couple of things to tweak. I would try to shift an activity to the weekend - maybe swimming. One less late night will make a difference.

Secondly, get organised with dinners. It's as boring as nothing else but i have a batch of soup and a batch of Bolognese in the freezer so every week that's 2 nights where we can walk in the door and eat 15-20 min later. If my kids are eating too late it all goes to hell because we need to be out the door at 7 on work days.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (15-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    I'm sure you don't need me to tell you this, but having a little one plus school age kids is veerry different to having just one or 2 under 4.

All the school commitments and extra curricular activities just have to be worked around and the youngest just has to work around it.

I think this is part of why my just-turned 3yo has been such a bad sleeper - because I couldn't let him set his own routines and follow his cues.

Anyhow bit of a sidetrack. Back to the topic.

I can see a couple of things to tweak. I would try to shift an activity to the weekend - maybe swimming. One less late night will make a difference.

Secondly, get organised with dinners. It's as boring as nothing else but i have a batch of soup and a batch of Bolognese in the freezer so every week that's 2 nights where we can walk in the door and eat 15-20 min later. If my kids are eating too late it all goes to hell because we need to be out the door at 7 on work days.
    I've a bad sleeper too. Actually all mine were but this one is the worst! I'm sure it was in part having to do all the school pick ups just when she should be napping. And now she won't nap during the day but can't stay awake in car/ pushchair when going to school or those activities so she naps late and is awake until 9! I just wish it didn't have to be like this always so rushed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    I've a bad sleeper too. Actually all mine were but this one is the worst! I'm sure it was in part having to do all the school pick ups just when she should be napping. And now she won't nap during the day but can't stay awake in car/ pushchair when going to school or those activities so she naps late and is awake until 9! I just wish it didn't have to be like this always so rushed
    My son's mostly dropped his naps now but still sometimes nods off in the pram on the way to school pick up (especially on fridays after daycare on tue-wed-thur). It's the worst!

Definitely look at shuffling swimming to Sat. Even though I could squeeze it in on a weeknight, I much prefer to go on Sat mornings. It also means DH can come along when he doesn't have football as he loves swimming with the kids too. I've just made sure to get classes early enough so we're all done by 12 and can get to birthday parties and bbqs if they're on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    My son's mostly dropped his naps now but still sometimes nods off in the pram on the way to school pick up (especially on fridays after daycare on tue-wed-thur). It's the worst!

Definitely look at shuffling swimming to Sat. Even though I could squeeze it in on a weeknight, I much prefer to go on Sat mornings. It also means DH can come along when he doesn't have football as he loves swimming with the kids too. I've just made sure to get classes early enough so we're all done by 12 and can get to birthday parties and bbqs if they're on.
    Swimming was on Saturday but when ms9 moved up to squad the times didn't match. But tbh I'm finding that class hellish so we may end up with 2 trips on Saturdays - one each for me and dp 😊