+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had mine at 29 and 35. 29 was perfect for me. I had life experience, travelled, lived out of home for 11 years already but young enough to have a smooth pregnancy and not be as tired with bub. My second recently at 35 was much harder, I wasn't as healthy, more tired, difficult pregnancy and will be 40 when bub starts school!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my first (and only) at 32. That age was perfect for me - I'd studied, had a career, travelled, dated lots, established myself financially, been wild, etc., and was ready to settle down. I'm sure also that if I had a baby when I was younger I would have though that was perfect as well, I think it's just about making the most things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkyMama View Post
    And when do you ever "feel ready"? I have spoken to many mothers of various ages, incomes and experiences and I don't think a single one of them ever indicated they felt ready...
    I absolutely felt ready. I had already felt ready since my mid 20s (but married to mr wrong, so didn't start til my 30s with DH). We didn't wait until everything else was ready/right (renting, not married etc) but I was ready.

I also think we all feel at some point like we weren't prepared/had no idea what we were getting ourselves into regardless of how ready or our age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Any age between 16 - 50 as long as the child is fed, loved, educated and cared for I think the age of the parent/s is irrelevant.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (15-06-2016),babybeeno1  (15-06-2016),Tinkers  (15-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my DS at 30 and having no2 in a couple weeks. I was no where near wanting children in my early 20's or even mid 20's. Before having DS I travelled the world sometimes going away 2 times every year to somewhere different but every year I met overseas once. There is no way I would of wanted to do this with small children. I also set myself up financially with buying, selling properties and renovating them to make a nice profit. I do have a mortgage now but it's only a little one. I'm more comfortable in all aspects of life now then what I would of been if I had kids a lot younger. I've also studied at uni and am half way through a law/teaching degree all while working full time being a sole parent for many years until I met DH and having another one in less then a month at the age of 39.

I think it comes down to how you want to plan your future out. I can honestly say that I'll be mortgage free within 5 on my properties I will only have to work part time and my degree will be done. With the hard slog I've done I can set my kids up with their own financially secure future and go to them at the right age, here's a house you own it it's yours be us the young generation of today will not be able to afford to buy houses in 15/20 yrs time.

Age is but a number

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    The best age to have a kid is whenever you are both wanting a kid AND up for the task. Individual circumstances affect how much age, maturity, career aspirations, travel ambitions, financial security, relationship stability come into it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (16-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    And when do you ever "feel ready"? I have spoken to many mothers of various ages, incomes and experiences and I don't think a single one of them ever indicated they felt ready...
    Really??

Most of my friends did feel ready. I guess because they were over 30yo and most of them had been trying for a while.
    I guess when you have an established career and in a long term relationship (with the honeymoon period trully over) you probably feel ready for a baby if you want kids at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my first at 22, my 4th by 26. It worked for me and I couldn't imagine it any other way. But I have friends my age (29) who are no where near ready. Not because I think they're immature, I just mean babies wouldn't fit with how they enjoy life at the moment. Careers, parties, holidays etc. None of that interested me, I had a stable job but nothing fancy, had been independent from my parents for years and I felt I was responsible enough and I wanted it. That's really all there is to it in my opinion.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (16-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Plenty of women feel ready, although this shouldn't be confused with 100% confidence in ones ability to raise a child (impossible goal!). Another good benchmark - if one is thinking "holy crap I don't want kids yet, having too much fun living my independent partying life" then that's a good sign one is not ready.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, some good points. Well I envy those who say they were ready and confidently made good decisions. Both of mine were unplanned, but welcomed. I definitely didn't have much of a career, travel half as much as I'd have liked or have a house or perfect man when I first fell pregs, but I now own a house and am working towards those other things. I don't feel I am the ideal mum, or have all the answers, but I guess that's ok. We must just make the best of the situation we are given, however unique it may be ☺️