+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What's the best age to have a baby?

Hi, I just went to a playgroup and met a grandmother who was a Steiner teacher and insisted that the children she met from older parents were somehow more grounded or something.
    I had my kids at 25 and 31, which around my area is relatively young. My DD (age 7) doesn't even attend Steiner, but I honestly feel like she is quite a grounded, stable little human being.
    Thoughts and experiences please?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was 34 when I had my ds, I was no where near ready younger! Some of my mummy mates are in their 20s and are the most amazing mums and I learn so much from them. The best age is really an individual thing I think.

Thanks
    Reviews

I had my first at almost 22 and the next at 23 and it was hard. It was overwhelming at times if I'm honest. After my son I couldn't get pregnant again and fast forward after years of losses and IVF I finally got pregnant at 39 with twin girls. I really just enjoy it this time, but part of that is because I know how fast time can go by and children become adults. For me it had nothing to with age it's was an understanding of how precious that time is when they're small.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had my only child at 37 I don't think I was any more ready at that age than if I was 20! I hadn't got a clue, gee I didn't even suspect I was pregnant until 19 weeks. If anything I'd say older parents are perhaps more anxious than younger, although that's s huge generalisation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that is a gross generalisation and purely anecdotal.

IMO the best age to have a child is when you feel ready.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (15-06-2016),Joeee  (15-06-2016),Ngaiz  (15-06-2016),smallpotatoes  (15-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And when do you ever "feel ready"? I have spoken to many mothers of various ages, incomes and experiences and I don't think a single one of them ever indicated they felt ready...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I don't think I felt ready but the need and want for a child grew for me that's how I knew I was. Of course you're never ready when they get here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    All I know is that for me personally, I sure as hell wasn't ready until I was into my 30's.

I deliberately waited until after I was 35 to start trying as I didn't want a child any younger. Granted, being over 40 wasn't in the plan either but we had no idea at the time of the Ex's MFI.

I think it's an entirely individual decision.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (15-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkyMama View Post
    And when do you ever "feel ready"? I have spoken to many mothers of various ages, incomes and experiences and I don't think a single one of them ever indicated they felt ready...
    I agree with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was more than ready when I had my first at 39. Mind you I didn't think it would take 3 years and 30Ks worth of IVF to get there. Met my partner when I was 35.

I am more than ready for number 2 as well (currently 29 weeks pregnant), after another 3 year battle and another 30k! Now I'm 43 and knackered but mentally I'm up for it. Shame my eggs weren't.
    Last edited by Bongley; 15-06-2016 at 14:16.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bongley For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (15-06-2016),Spiritz  (15-06-2016)