+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default House smells

Help me!!

I have had tenants from hell and my house stinks!! I've had carpets and pest.

I've mopped with jasol, vinegar etc I can't shake the smell it's like perm dog and can't it's horrible I would rather put my head in bleach ok maybe not but the smell is festy 😱😱

Do I just paint over my walls 🙄 I've wiped them down majority...... Im bit lazy HAHAHAHA! Walls are big!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wash my walls with Sugar Soap using a mop. It doesn't take to long at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That is not cool. Can you wash the curtains? I'd get the curtains cleaned, have the carpets professionally cleaned and wash the walls with sugar soap. Failing that, I'd repaint the walls.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (15-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had this problem with the last owners, they smoked in the house and always burnt awful candles to cover the smell. We ended up replacing the carpets which were the main culprit and painted the main sitting room walls. Also got rid of all the curtains. The smell just lingers untill you get every last bit

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you can't replace the carpets maybe try a carpet deodoriser?

Sugar soap the walls, and if that doesn't work then you may have to paint over them.

Wash or replace all curtains.

That totally sucks that your tenants left your place like that Hope you can get the smell out x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Put bi carb in a container in closed rooms for a week? Could the smell be coming from vents (if you have vents/ducted aircon/heating)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I agree:
    - sugar soap the walls
    - wash curtains etc
    - professionally steam clean carpets

Thanks
    Reviews
    Open all cupboards built ins, ones in kitchen wipe them out with vinegar water mix and leave open for a few days, reclean the carpets professionally with deodoriser, wash all curtains, wipe down all blinds, do the walls like everyone has said, get some closet camels if you think there's a bit of moisture and put them in cupboards, put some vinegar down drains especially ones in bathroom floors if you have any. Let us know how you go, not a small job by any means!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shouldn't the exiting tenants have had the carpets professionally cleaned when they vacated as per tenancy agreement ? As for walls and curtains wash them all down and wash the curtains aswell but you can get a professional cleaner to do all of this and take it out of the tenants bond as they haven't left the property in the manner it was when they moved in. I used to have rentals and always had particular guidelines which had to met when they left the property of they didn't do it then I got a professional to do the clean up and used the bond money

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    Shouldn't the exiting tenants have had the carpets professionally cleaned when they vacated as per tenancy agreement ? As for walls and curtains wash them all down and wash the curtains aswell but you can get a professional cleaner to do all of this and take it out of the tenants bond as they haven't left the property in the manner it was when they moved in. I used to have rentals and always had particular guidelines which had to met when they left the property of they didn't do it then I got a professional to do the clean up and used the bond money
    The tenants did a runner and caused a lot of damage I think