Night Toilet Training | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Night Toilet Training

DD is almost 5 and until this week, has always worn a nappy at bedtime. I haven't pushed the point because toilet training has been a nightmare with her. Over the weekend she asked if she could sleep without a nappy and I agreed, explained that she needs to make sure her bed doesn't get wet and all that. First night - success!! Dry all night. Night 2 & 3 - wet the bed.

Any tips for getting them dry overnight? I know she's physically capable, she often has a dry nappy overnight (inconsistent) and she doesn't want the nappy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In my experience...just persist without pull - ups. ..make sure the bed is protected and ready for fast night time changes. Over time the dry nights are more regular than the wet, but it does take a bit of time. Most kids I know don't become dry every night in nappies. They need to experience the "wetting" sensation to learn to either wake up or hold on til morning.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Cue  (15-06-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (26-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Use a mattress protector, fitted sheet, mattress protector, fitted sheet set up, so you can whip one layer off, change clothes and go back to bed

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1  (26-07-2016),Cue  (15-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When DD was learning nights, she was wetting the bed just before she fully woke up. I worked this out by checking on her at 5.30 (dry) but then she'd wake at 6.30 wet.

Working that out meant that I could work with her on the specific issue (warm and snuggly, waking up slowly and not wanting to get up yet despite a full bladder). Unfortunately for us it meant she just started getting up at 5.30am for a few nmonths until her bladder got stronger.

I'd try to work out if there is a pattern of when she's wetting then take it from there.

Also agree with the double layer sheet/protector for easy changes.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Cue  (15-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby_Tuesday15 View Post
    Use a mattress protector, fitted sheet, mattress protector, fitted sheet set up, so you can whip one layer off, change clothes and go back to bed
    I used to do this in the bassinet & cot when my kids were little babies, makes it much easier at 2am! I'm using a cheap version of brolly sheets so I have it on top of the bottom sheet. In theory I should be able to just swap that out, but the reality is that she likes to cocoon herself in bed and wrap herself up in her sheets and blankets so everything gets wet!

I tried a new tactic last night. Before I went to bed at around 10pm, I got her out of bed and put her on the toilet. She barely woke up and I just cuddles her and rubbed her back as she sat on the loo and she did a wee. Then tucked her back up in bed. Seemed to work because she was dry this morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds2 just recently got dry overnight. He's nearly 5.

I don't allow him to drink after 630 (bedtime is 8), and he must do a wee b4 bedtime.

If he'd like a drink before bedtime I tell him to try to only have a little sip, otherwise he'll need to wear a nappy.

So far so good. He sometimes doesn't empty his bladder totally during the day so I've tried to teach him how to do that.

He still has a waterproof mattress protector though.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use cheap plastic shower curtains from woolies as some of my layers

Thanks
    Reviews
    I trained my daughter when she was 2. I religiously woke up at 12mn and 3am to bring her to the toilet. She peed on the bed for like 3x times only.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Night Toilet Training

Quote Originally Posted by Cayla Adamski View Post
    I trained my daughter when she was 2. I religiously woke up at 12mn and 3am to bring her to the toilet. She peed on the bed for like 3x times only.
    God that sounds like way too much effort lol

I simply waited until dd1 asked to go without nappies. They were still wet overnight but decided to run with it. A few accidents in the first couple of weeks but then she was all good.
    Second the easy bed changes. I used a waterproof mat is simply pulled off. She never wet twice in the one night.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 26-07-2016 at 17:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not everyone could do what I did. We went on a Holiday to qld to see friends. I said to DS 2 3/4 that mummy was only taking 14 nappies so you need to go potty in the day and at night. He said ok we came home with 12 nappies. I used nappies at night only til they where 3 as we had had no accidents . I think it comes down to what their bladder control is like