+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tried and failed settling

Feeling like a failure I've tried and failed about half a dozen times (at 3 months, four, six and now 10/11 months) to get my now 11 month old to self settle.

Here is how it goes:-
    Put in cot awake after feed, patting and shushing. Bub became so distressed started screaming. Picked up and got Bub calm. Back in cot calmly, same deal- Bub escalated to screaming coughing and hysterical within 2 min. Third attempt I got projectile vomited on. So, calmly clean Bub and myself. Continue until second projectile vomit and give up. Second night, tried for an hour and ended up with vomit and awake Bub. Gave up.
    Third night same deal. And fourth and fifth- how long do I keep trying before I meet the definition of insanity? I've gone from having Bub settled within half an hour if fed and burped then put in cot 90% asleep, to hours of work. I'm staying calm, I've tried walking out of room for up to 4 minutes, Bub escalates to a zillion and then pukes and have also tried just resting a hand on Bub with zero success.
    Bub will be sleep after a few min of being fed and burped but I worry about how Bub will go at daycare?? Worried about return to work and daycare with a Bub who cant self settle. Please feel free to give advice but be gentle I'm really doing my best. Thank you mummies
    Last edited by Kizzzz; 14-06-2016 at 21:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Big hugs! Sleep stuff can be so stressful.

I used to feed my DS to sleep at home (until about 14months) as it was the only way I could get him to sleep but when he was at daycare or with my parents, he would sleep fine without the feed. Daycare used to comment on how he was such a good sleeper.

I honestly wouldn't worry about bubs sleep at daycare - they (the carers and Bub) will will work it out together.

I'm not sure what to suggest at home but if you don't have an issue with feeding to sleep and it's working for you, then why change it?

Best wishes!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (15-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tried and failed settling

Thank you. It does work for me. It's usually a really quick painless process, I just worry about how bub will go elsewhere so it is lovely to hear it is possible- very encouraging
    Last edited by Kizzzz; 14-06-2016 at 21:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't worry about it. My kids are notorious for insisting on boob for sleep time when I'm doing it, but when someone else puts them down, they are fine!!! Daycare teachers are really experienced with getting kids to sleep, they will manage it x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It sounds like you are happy to feed to sleep however if you are still keen in self settling it may be worth loooking into a whole range if things (timing of naps, milk v solids, using sleep aids such as a dummy, bedding, room temp, comforter, bed routine, how you manage bub waking in the night) etc.

If the environment isn't set up right self settling can be very difficult.

Good luck