+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    True.
    I guess it's something the op will have to work out with her dp. Fingers crossed.it isnt whooping cough op.
    Last edited by Tinkers; 14-06-2016 at 20:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think this case should be seen as regular illness. Sure if the daughter had a cold she should go on her regular weekend to her dads, but this "could" be WC.If my DD had possibly been exposed to WC & was displaying cold/flu like symptoms I would keep her home to avoid the possibility of spreading it around. I would feel awful if it turned out to be WC & I was responsible for spreading it around.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

ilex  (14-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd suggest to her mum to get a swab to confirm that its not whooping cough. Particularly if your DSD does have it, to knock it on its head.

If I was in your situation I would still have her, given that its your DH's weekend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is no way i would have her to stay- no way- until test results in writing show it isnt whooping cough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Her mum is being ridiculous not speaking to you about it. Dd1 had suspected whooping cough last year and it can take several days for the test results. It's not straight forward. And then the ABs take a few days.

No way no how would I be exposing an unborn baby to possible WC. we kept my daughter quarantined for a week until we had the all clear. I couldn't have forgiven myself if someone else had gotten sick.

I know she's not an easy woman OP, but stay firm on this one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    And yes DD1 had been immunised but it can wear off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I completely agree that it's just as much the fathers responsibility to look after his daughter as her mothers. However, WC is highly contagious and from a general public health perspective all necessarily measures should be taken to limit the spread as much as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Whooping Cough - WWYD?

Sorry op I misread your post about her being sick (I thought it was just because she had been in contact with people with WC).
    It is significant that she is immunised because although it is possible that she has it, it is unlikely. It is more likely to just be a cold.
    The weekend is still days away so I would urge her mum to go and get her swabbed for WC tomorrow and I would be keen to get an update of her symptoms as the week goes on.
    Also again- if I was you I would get my vax now!
    Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Id take her if DSD feels up to it and her mum too.

It's not fair not to take her for a simple cold. At that age and in winter they seem to always have a cold.

If she's immunised my understanding is that she might get a much milder version of WC and would be less contagious if she does get it.

Could you call your state health line and ask for their advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If I where a biological mum to a child who is sick and has been in contact with whooping cough, I would never risk allowing her to stay anywhere, especially with a pregnant woman. I think it's actually really disgusting her mother isn't insisting she doesn't come this weekend and accommodating for an alternative weekend. I understand she may have plans etc, but children come before plans in my opinion.

Whooping cough vaccine is not very reliable. And although you may only get a milder version of the virus if you're vaccinated, it can still potentially be serious. I had whooping cough as a 16 year old and still suffer from it. Just recently a friend of mine contracted it and was apparently vaccinated but is coughing still months after.
    Last edited by SookiLala; 14-06-2016 at 20:40.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SookiLala For This Useful Post:

maddysmama  (15-06-2016)