+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Whooping Cough - WWYD?

Just wondering what others would do in our situation. There is an outbreak of whooping cough at my step daughters kindy, it was on the radio today and confirmed true by her mother. She is sick atm with what could be a cold or according to my googling could be symptoms of whooping cough (same symptoms from what I've read).
    I am currently pregnant (haven't been immunised yet as I'm not in the third trimester) and I have a 5yo of my own at home.
    We are supposed to have DSD this weekend. If you were in our situation would you still pick up DSD knowing she could possibly have whooping cough? Or give this weekend a miss?

Her mum won't answer any of our questions about what the kindy has said, when they were notified etc. Just said that DSD is immunised (but everything on Google tells me you can still get it if you're immunised)

Thanks,

Thanks
    Reviews
    If she was immunised I would still have her. I would also go see my GP ASAP and discuss getting swabs to check if you have WC and I would get immunised now instead of waiting till 3rd trimester. I understand the benefit to babe of getting the vacc late in pregnancy but in this situation I would be more concerned with avoiding getting it myself if it's 'going around'.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would give it a miss. Whooping cough or not, I wouldn't want myself or the rest of the household getting it if it could be avoided. What does her mum think? Would your dsd prefer to be with her mum while she isnt well?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    If she was immunised I would still have her. I would also go see my GP ASAP and discuss getting swabs to check if you have WC and I would get immunised now instead of waiting till 3rd trimester. I understand the benefit to babe of getting the vacc late in pregnancy but in this situation I would be more concerned with avoiding getting it myself if it's 'going around'.
    Good luck
    But isn't her being immunised irrelevant? Everywhere I read says she can still get it. I just feel like I don't know enough!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SummerFun For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (15-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkers View Post
    I would give it a miss. Whooping cough or not, I wouldn't want myself or the rest of the household getting it if it could be avoided. What does her mum think? Would your dsd prefer to be with her mum while she isnt well?
    Yeah it would be so awful! I have zero sick or annual leave from work as I've been really sick this pregnancy so financially itd be really hard on us if we got sick and had to miss work.
    Her mum doesn't seem to understand, just said 'she's immunised' like that means she can't get it? My DF had the convo with her but apparently didn't answer any questions we had about it, just seemed annoyed that he called to ask about her after we heard about the outbreak. I dunno

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I would give the weekend a miss.

If she has a cold - whether or not its whooping cough - you dont want to get that.

and if it does turn out to be whooping cough, you DEFINITELY dont want to get that

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way would I have her until I knew that she definitely didn't have it, it's not worth the risk.She can absolutely still get it even though she is immunised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerFun View Post
    Yeah it would be so awful! I have zero sick or annual leave from work as I've been really sick this pregnancy so financially itd be really hard on us if we got sick and had to miss work.
    Her mum doesn't seem to understand, just said 'she's immunised' like that means she can't get it? My DF had the convo with her but apparently didn't answer any questions we had about it, just seemed annoyed that he called to ask about her after we heard about the outbreak. I dunno
    Gee, the mum sounds understanding. ..not! Not fair on you guys, like I said, if it's not whooping cough, doesn't mean you are ok with catching the other bug she has!! Pretty selfish actually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There was an outbreak at our daycare. The health dept flyer said something like: if your child has xyz symptoms see your GP ASAP. If the child has cold-like symptoms & has possibly been exposed to WC her mum should take her to the GP for swabs straight away (like tomorrow). She may be put on precautionary AB's too depending on the Dr's opinion.
    I'd be insisting on knowing the test results before having her if ibwasnin your situation OP.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Ruby_Tuesday15  (15-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Whooping Cough - WWYD?

My daughter got whooping cough when she was 3 and she was vaxxed. In saying that yes I would still have her.
    Last edited by waterlily; 14-06-2016 at 19:40.