+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I do find I need to walk though to get him to sleep in my carrier. Once he is asleep I can sit or do whatever and he will stay asleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    the wrap didn't work, even walking around etc. I gave up today and thought sod it, we are going out. I figured he can snooze in the car. or the pram when we're out. ended up having a coffee and he got about half an hour in the pram (first sleep since getting up this morning at 7am). we've just come home and I boobed him and he fell asleep...I did a successful bassinet transfer too, just hoping he gets a good hour sleep this time. he bloody needs it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    the wrap didn't work, even walking around etc. I gave up today and thought sod it, we are going out. I figured he can snooze in the car. or the pram when we're out. ended up having a coffee and he got about half an hour in the pram (first sleep since getting up this morning at 7am). we've just come home and I boobed him and he fell asleep...I did a successful bassinet transfer too, just hoping he gets a good hour sleep this time. he bloody needs it.
    Don't feel bad. Some babies love it - some hate it. Some grow into it or prefer other carriers - others don't.

Good to hear about the sleep! And that you got out for a while.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (15-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default surviving the 4m sleep regression?

Here's a good article on the 4 month sleep regression:

https://childsleepscience.wordpress....done-about-it/

Some key points:
    1) best way to help ensure bub doesn't continually wake is to ensure the sleep environment (location/temp/noise/bottle or boob) doesn't change from bedtime to when you would like bub to wake. Try not to feed to sleep and don't transfer bubs location after bub falls asleep (bub will wake as he moves through sleep cycles and think "WTF where am I?"
    2) don't automatically assume bub needs a feed when bub wakes. If bub was previously sleeping through 7pm-7am and then starts waking 10pm, 2am, 4am - chances are bub just needs help transitioning through sleep cycles. Try resettling first (a shush pat until bub is drowsy). Then if bub doesn't settle , feed.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    thanks VP. I've been feeding to sleep as that's the only thing that seems to work? not sure how else to do it as he just grizzles and cries and gets worked up?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    thanks VP. I've been feeding to sleep as that's the only thing that seems to work? not sure how else to do it as he just grizzles and cries and gets worked up?
    Generally if routine/sleep training is used then it is a feed/play/sleep routine (I will add some babies prefer this method naturally). So feed on waking, play then bub is to settle themselves when tired (using comforter etc).

Never worked for me. I have no issue feeding to sleep. Tbh, at this age I would not worry about feeding to sleep. If it works - do it. If you want to teach self settling etc just wait a few months (most recommend 6 months).

By all means you can try (I have tried putting drowsy DD down sometimes - all failed though) but if it does not work then feed to sleep and try again another time.

I do personally think at this age with everything being 'new' due to leaps some babies just need more support than others. Which is why I feed to sleep (I do get touched out and frustrated with having no time to myself but I keep telling myself it is only a short period of time, have a rant and a cry and then can deal with it a little longer).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (16-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I will add - just do what works for now. You know your baby. If they need to feed to sleep now that's fine. It won't be forever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    thanks. ds did naturally do the feed play sleep routine, up until now. he's totally all over the shop now, I'm struggling to keep up with him and where he's up to with feeds and sleep, as I'm trying to feed him to sleep all the time, so he's constantly feeding.

he's now fallen asleep on his own, been down around 20 mins. I'm hoping he stays down for a bit longer and can get a decent rest in. it's just weird, it's like he's suddenly wide awake for really long stretches (like 3-4 hours) but doesn't look/act over tired. someone yesterday commented on how happy he seemed and you'd never pick it that he had been awake for so long.

you're right, I should stop thinking each day I'll get time to do things for myself and just surrender to this sh!tful sleeping routine. and any time I do get is just an unexpected bonus. he's been so easy/good up til now I think I've been spoiled!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even though you say he doesn't seem or act overtired 3-4hrs is a very long awake time. So by the time he goes down he could be massively overtired and his way of showing it is fighting naps and not sleeping long due to overtiredness. What happens if you put him down after 1.5-2.5hrs?
    Hopefully it's short lived. My DD never did eat play sleep. It was eat play eat sleep play eat sleep lol.
    Other thing I was going to say is we had a lot of trouble with night sleep around 5-6 months and I think part of it was we were putting her to bed a bit early at night. 6pm is pretty early so you could try a later bedtime (7ish) and see if that helps day routine too.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (16-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    thanks gingermillie. yeah I've been thinking to extend the bedtime to 6:30-7pm. yesterday he finally dropped off at 6:45 so maybe he's adjusting naturally.

he's not interested in going to bed. full stop. I'm trying to stick to the old routine whereby after 1.5-2 hours of being awake I put him in his sleep sack and into bed and he just fights it. he knows the sack means bed so that makes him cranky, and there's battle as soon as I put him in the basso/cot. so I just give up. I figure if I let him keep playing he will conk out eventually.

I fully agree he's got to be overtired after 3-4 hours but I can't physically force him to sleep (much as I'd like to)