+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I did this when I developed mastitis when dd1 weaned. I go fluey in the middle of the night- no way was I heading out to a hospy at 2am! I pumped/heat pack/hot shower.... I waited until 6am and saw a gp and got a script for AB but I never needed it.
    I just kept up the above methods and panadol/nurofen and it got better for me.

Mind you I'm slightly paranoid about ABs so avoid them until absolutely necessary.

Good luck xxx
    Me three. I never had to go to the doctors, always just did the massaging in the shower and it resolved itself naturally. If you catch it early enough this should hopefully work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I got the flu like symptoms and terrible sweating and fevers I had to go to the doc for antibiotics and I usually don't take them but nothing worked

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Was going to add because your DS is 15 months old your mastitis 'may' not be as bad/deteriorate as quickly as if you were in the earlier stages of breastfeeding. Because she isn't feeding as often as a newborn etc.

So as others have suggested waiting until morning should be fine and using heat packs, hot showers, Massage, hand express, nurofen etc.

I had it when DS1 was about 9 months old but it didn't get too bad too quickly, the doc did prescribe ABs though I couldn't shift my blocked ducts for a few days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How are you feeling OP?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (14-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone and thanks for all the responses. I went to the GP yesterday morning and she agreed he symptoms were likely to be mastitis. The 'flu' like symptoms had all but passed at that stage and haven't returned. She prescribed AB's. As I haven't been feeling unwell I have help off taking them until just now. The pain in my breast, the lump and the pressure and the red mark have not changed despite lots of massaging and feeding more from that side, so I'm now taking the drugs. I wonder if it's *just* a blocked duct and not mastitis?
    Of course I am considering all the other awful possibilities....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    Hi everyone and thanks for all the responses. I went to the GP yesterday morning and she agreed he symptoms were likely to be mastitis. The 'flu' like symptoms had all but passed at that stage and haven't returned. She prescribed AB's. As I haven't been feeling unwell I have help off taking them until just now. The pain in my breast, the lump and the pressure and the red mark have not changed despite lots of massaging and feeding more from that side, so I'm now taking the drugs. I wonder if it's *just* a blocked duct and not mastitis?
    Of course I am considering all the other awful possibilities....
    I had a blocked duct and it does hurt - red marks could be from massaging. Maybe try and get into a physio to use some ultrasound?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I had a blocked duct and it does hurt - red marks could be from massaging. Maybe try and get into a physio to use some ultrasound?
    I second this I've heard a lot of people that benefited from the ultrasound therapy.

I had it quite a few times 3 years ago with my first and the redness sort of looked like red lashes on my skin. I'd be inclined to take the course of antibiotics and then see how you go, if you don't knock it on the head it can come back. Wretched thing it is.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (15-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Possible mastitis... How long before I should see a doctor?

Sometimes you can spot a blocked duct if you notice a little white spot on your nipple. I have had them a few times and yes they are painful.

Eta: I used a pin to scrape off/enter the white spot and then expressed really hard to help unclog it (as it's dried milk) but that's not for the faint hearted.

Hopefully whatever it is it will improve for you xxx
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 15-06-2016 at 13:23.