+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Possible mastitis... How long before I should see a doctor?

My DD is 15 months and slowly starting to wean I think. Today I started feeling flu like symptoms and noticing an increasingly sore right breast. Red mark and lump forming. I'm guessing, but hopping it's not, mastitis. If so, when should I be seeing a doctor? Doctor Google and ABA website all say 'as soon as possible after getting flu like symptoms'. But I don't know if we're taking ASAP, as in go to the ED (given that it's 8.30 pm now, or wait till tomorrow? Calling 13 Health now, but thought I'd check with all you lovely ladies as well!!
    Last edited by TreeGirl; 13-06-2016 at 20:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From my experience once the flu symptoms hit then it is not going to get better. You need ABs now so although it may not seem to be an emergency often ED is prob the best option. The other thing you could try is an after hours gp or a locum. I have personally found that locums have no idea about mastitis and will often prescribe the wrong antibiotic. Whatever you decide call/go now. Like right now. Within an hour at the latest. Also I should add that when I got mastitis I felt really off mentally. Sorry I do t mean to sound patronizing but I found it really hard to think straight, recognize the symptoms and make a decision. Since talking to other mums I have found that this is common.... So I'm telling you. Go now! Good luck. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you can get a home dr it is a better option than ED. If no home dr and you have those symptoms - then ED.

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.kemh.health.wa.gov.au/dev...b/8/b8.2.6.pdf

If you call a locum- you want oral flucloxacillian

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Dirtgirl  (13-06-2016)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I would try expressing/massaging the lump out - a heat pack or hot shower might help to loosen it up.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (13-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    I would try expressing/massaging the lump out - a heat pack or hot shower might help to loosen it up.
    I did this when I developed mastitis when dd1 weaned. I go fluey in the middle of the night- no way was I heading out to a hospy at 2am! I pumped/heat pack/hot shower.... I waited until 6am and saw a gp and got a script for AB but I never needed it.
    I just kept up the above methods and panadol/nurofen and it got better for me.

Mind you I'm slightly paranoid about ABs so avoid them until absolutely necessary.

Good luck xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just took some Ibuprofen and feeling slightly better and 13 Health nurse believes a doctor can wait till first thing in the morning. Can't believe I'm almost at end of my breastfeeding journey for 2 lovely girls and I get this thrown at me 😏

Thanks
    Reviews
    My advice is call a locum, start antibiotics asap. Took mine 3 days to kick in and symptoms worsened during that time. It can be awful! I also had my lactation consultant recommend a physio for ultrasound treatment, i needed 4 sessions of this to really clear it. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oral fluclox as said, get an ah go if u can not worth the risk of waiting mine got rapidly worse over the couple of hours I waited for hubby to drive script home, he's a dr so I didn't have to wait for that bit....they see some vary nasty things in hosp with mastitis so even though he's normally casual about not needing drugs there was No waiting w mastitis.... He always recc doing a Nikko outline around the red to be able to monitor it for spread, look in mirror might be under ur boob too.....

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I did this when I developed mastitis when dd1 weaned. I go fluey in the middle of the night- no way was I heading out to a hospy at 2am! I pumped/heat pack/hot shower.... I waited until 6am and saw a gp and got a script for AB but I never needed it.
    I just kept up the above methods and panadol/nurofen and it got better for me.

Mind you I'm slightly paranoid about ABs so avoid them until absolutely necessary.

Good luck xxx
    Yes I'm the same, try to avoid abs. I've had mastitis 8 times - 7 times I got on top of it within a day with constant expressing/massaging. Only once did I need abs as well, I think because the lump was very deep and I didn't notice it straight away. As far as I know even if you get abs, you still need to massage the lump out. Lots of paracetamol and expressing!