+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bad mother - 2 1/2 year old needs fillings

Just been to the dentist with my 2 1/2 year old. He has had health issues since he was born needing medication which has weakened his enamel. I have also allowed him to have formula in his bottle at bed time which has caused decay. He needs two fillings in his back molars. Due to his age he will have to have it done via general in hospital.
    Has anyone else had experience with this? I feel so bad I feel like crying and I am dreading telling my husband.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You aren't a bad mum at all. I didn't take my kids to the dentist for the first time until they started school and they needed fillings and teeth removed. Needless to say I was feeling like a bad mother myself but like the dentist told me at the time at least you brought them and are having things done now. I can tell you that most mums including myself are guilty of giving our babies a bottle of formula before bed. Don't be too hard on yourself.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (13-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 7 year old has to have some of her adult teeth pulled. She had extensive antibiotics as an infant and they destroyed her adult teeth development and some of her teeth are coming through with no enamel.

These things happen. It doesn't make you a bad mum. Most people don't take their kids to the dentist until they are in school so you are doing the correct thing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dinosaur Train For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (13-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't feel so bad. Whilst you may have left it a little late taking your little one to the dentist it is done now, he will have his fillings and you will now take him for regular checkups. Don't beat yourself up.

Brushing when those first teeth came through was always what I followed with my 3 and getting them to brush twice a day started early. I think my children have had their fair share of antibiotics when young especially ds2 and sometimes went to bed with a bottle too but brush, brush, brush was the upmost importance. They also all started going to the dentist every year once they turned 2. The oldest 2 just had a scale and clean. No cavities. They have limited sugar though. Ds1 hasn't lost many baby teeth and his 2 big front teeth are through first and he is 8 so he needs an xray to see where his bigger teeth are sitting so there could be issues there yet.

And there are treatments for weakened enamel op.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Honestly I don't think 2 and a half is late AT ALL. I have 4 kids and my nearly 3 year old has only had a ride in the chair and a bit of a poke by our dentist. They don't even seriously look at them until they are 3 and older unless there are reasons why they need it.

It's hard not to be hard on yourself. One of mine has dreadful teeth and eats perfectly and the rest eat c---p and their teeth are perfect.

So much is genetic. Brushing and hygiene are important but sometimes it still happens.

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (13-06-2016),BabyG4  (13-06-2016),binnielici  (13-06-2016),BornToBe  (13-06-2016),clbj  (13-06-2016),Full House  (14-06-2016),gingermillie  (13-06-2016),Ngaiz  (13-06-2016),PeanutsMummy  (13-06-2016),sunnygirl79  (13-06-2016),yadot  (13-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the messages. This wasn't his first visit , I took him quite early because the doctor suggested he may have issues and yes we always brush. I did ask about the enamel and they said there is nothing they can do at this early age. Thanks again for the responses

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashfirst For This Useful Post:

PeanutsMummy  (13-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashfirst View Post
    Thanks for the messages. This wasn't his first visit , I took him quite early because the doctor suggested he may have issues and yes we always brush. Thanks again.
    Well even more reason to not beat yourself up! But I do every time my eldest goes. I feel terrible.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (13-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't feel bad about it, this is something completely out of your control. My daughters little best friend has had so many teeth either fall out, break or needed fillings/caps due to strong medication she was on. Unfortunately nothing that can be prevented.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (13-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Does he have molar hypomin by chance (hypomineralisation)? DS1 was diagnosed with this recently aged 4 and I had him to the dentist at 2, they did warn he had it then but basically said there wasn't anything that could be done about it, they don't know the cause it's possibly genetic or may be linked to high fevers in infancy - they are still researching what the cause is.

We were shocked and devastated as we have always been anal with teeth cleaning, he has an extremely healthy diet, doesn't have juice or soft drink etc. But they assured us it wasn't our doing. Whilst I was annoyed they took the 'wait and see' approach rather than offering any treatment etc, by the time they decided to treat DS1 was old enough to have his filled in the chair - however this was after a 2nd opinion, the first dentist wanted him to go under GA but I wasn't comfortable with that.

I can understand why they would go under at such a young age, it would be near impossible to do it in the chair. And whilst my sons was not as bad at that age, it did degrade rapidly - so if your DS already has severe damage they would need to get onto it now to risk further damage.

I am sorry you have to go through this - please don't blame yourself you are not a bad mother, it's bad luck that is all. And you're in fact a great mother for getting it looked at now!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (13-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS who has special needs, a rare genetic disorder had to have a lot of teeth removed in hospital under general and he's 3. It's a nightmare trying to brush his teeth, the ones he's got left are still hard to brush as he needs pinning down and 2 people to do it, he's quite strong and gets quite frustrated and aggressive. I understand you and you shouldn't feel bad, these things happen. I was upset also when it happened earlier this year but it's the way it is. It's still a struggle brushing his teeth and sometimes I give up so don't feel too bad.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to zoz For This Useful Post:

Ashfirst  (13-06-2016)