Am I mad to apply for jobs when I'm TTC? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Am I mad to apply for jobs when I'm TTC?

Have been leading a big exciting challenge at work (love the work I do, at the level I do) but my current contract/secondment is coming to end. I go back to my substantive role soon, which feels like a massive step backwards. I'm going to struggle. It's a great workplace, with great people, conditions... And I've been there a few years which also entitles me to their (very generous) maternity leave - if and when I might need to access it.

On the flip side, I saw a role advertised elsewhere that has really grabbed my attention - so have decided to apply for it!! Have always loved loving my work, and this seems like an exciting opportunity and step up... But across.

Given we're trying for #1, am I mad? If we fall pregnant soon (which is still my greatest hope), will I resent myself for not staying to access the conditions of the great workplace I'm at? DP has a good job at a place he's been with for 10+ years, and fully supports my vocational happiness... But, am I mad??

Anyone had a similar jump during TTC? What's your story? Good, bad or otherwise?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Am I mad to apply for jobs when I'm TTC?

I would not recommend stopping your life for ttc, but that's just me. It took us a couple of years to conceive and I found I only actually conceived when I was somewhat content in my life/ job.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomia For This Useful Post:

MUG81  (13-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't wait. We were mid TTC (IVF) when I returned to work after 12 months off to renovate a house and travel. We finally had success a few months after I started my new role. Sadly our son was stillborn and I feel very very lucky that I had a great to go back to. It really has helped me.

So I say continue life, we've been TTC for 3+ years and we are much happier when we plan normal life ie holidays work etc. TTC can often take longer than you think and putting life on hold will just make it harder.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

MUG81  (13-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lean in sister but... Pregnancy discrimination is real. So be careful with taking on financial commitments just in case

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NORgirl For This Useful Post:

MUG81  (13-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't recommend putting your life on hold to TTC, whether that is for a job you want to go for, a holiday, anything. The reality is, sometimes it does take a while, or even a long while.

If you do fall pregnant quickly, yeah, maybe you'll wish you had stayed to reap the benefits, but if you don't.....you will more likely end up regretting the fact that you passed up a great job offer.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

MUG81  (13-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going to stick with the other side of this and I'd stay where I knew I had great conditions, a long history and would have good benefits when I started a family. But I am very reserved and don't like change. I also did a few things when we decided to ttc my second that I assumed I'd have plenty of time to sort out before I actually fell pregnant and I fell pregnant first month. I also get horrendous morning sickness and I couldn't imagine that with a new job where I was trying to settle in and show them I really am a great employee but just feel like death right now.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PipersMummy For This Useful Post:

MUG81  (13-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NORgirl View Post
    Lean in sister but... Pregnancy discrimination is real. So be careful with taking on financial commitments just in case
    Thanks... Have you experienced this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomia View Post
    I would not recommend stopping your life for ttc, but that's just me. It took us a couple of years to conceive and I found I only actually conceived when I was somewhat content in my life/ job.
    I'm content, but not excited by my job. Everything else is great!