+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Here is the footage
    https://youtu.be/VZSS_ya4SWo

Thanks
    Reviews
    If most of us around the world took a DNA test you would find we all have some African ancestors. Many of us in Australia have a mixed heritage (I have English, Irish, Scottish, Danish, Scandinavian blood). It's difficult to identify with one culture and have been taught multiculturalism growing up in Australia. We enjoy a variety of cuisines, art, music and fashion has at times been influenced by different cultural style. I've never thought my lifestyle could be offending someone, rather the opposite. Imitation is the highest form of flattery, (or is that just a white person's way of thinking??)
    If I learnt that my actions were hurting somebody, I would apologize and take their feelings into consideration in the future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    haven't read the replies so apologies if this has been mentioned already. unsure whether it qualifies as CA but I can't stand the use of Native American Indian imagery/iconography in our current popular culture. think "cool" wall murals or prints for a little boys room being sold as bed bath & table of adairs. or people dressing up in NAA headdresses as fancy dress costumes. I find this highly offensive.
    Genuine question - Why do you find the fancy dress offensive?
    A kiwi designer got herself into a bit of trouble a couple of years back for having her catwalk models all wear NAA headdress. I found that offensive as it was being used to sell a product. I would absolutely love one in my home but the only way I'm getting one is if I go to America and spend time on a reservation learning about their culture.

I have no problem with others dressing up on our traditional costume for fancy dress providing they are being respectful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Cultural appropriation

Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    Genuine question - Why do you find the fancy dress offensive?
    A kiwi designer got herself into a bit of trouble a couple of years back for having her catwalk models all wear NAA headdress. I found that offensive as it was being used to sell a product. I would absolutely love one in my home but the only way I'm getting one is if I go to America and spend time on a reservation learning about their culture.

I have no problem with others dressing up on our traditional costume for fancy dress providing they are being respectful.
    I have an opinion on this (like most things ) and to put it really simply it's because when white people have a history of destroying and decimating another culture (I'm thinking native Americans) it seems just completely wrong and inappropriate for a white person to then get dressed as a "sexy" Native American and chuck on a pair of moccasins and a feather in their head and get wasted. Usually when people do dress up they get the culture wrong. The classic dress ups are the stereo types of what we associate with that culture but are often completely incorrect.

So that's my take on it. When I see a bunch of drunk white American morons on Instagram running around in Indian headgear yeah it grinds my gears.

So it comes down to the lack of respect.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (12-06-2016),misskittyfantastico  (12-06-2016),VicPark  (12-06-2016)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Here's a really good one for you- yoga.
    Yoga is a sacred practice in India which has been completely and utterly appropriated and commodified by the West. Soooo many aspects of yoga as it is practiced in Western Countries is deeply disrespectful to the original ideas of yoga. So many of us take yoga classes without giving a second thought to the fact that these positions have been wholesale lifted from an ancient, spiritual, cultural practice and sold to Westerners as exercise.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (12-06-2016),Ngaiz  (12-06-2016),Sonja  (12-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Here's a really good one for you- yoga.
    Yoga is a sacred practice in India which has been completely and utterly appropriated and commodified by the West. Soooo many aspects of yoga as it is practiced in Western Countries is deeply disrespectful to the original ideas of yoga. So many of us take yoga classes without giving a second thought to the fact that these positions have been wholesale lifted from an ancient, spiritual, cultural practice and sold to Westerners as exercise.
    This is an excellent point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I have an opinion on this (like most things ) and to put it really simply it's because when white people have a history of destroying and decimating another culture (I'm thinking native Americans) it seems just completely wrong and inappropriate for a white person to then get dressed as a "sexy" Native American and chuck on a pair of moccasins and a feather in their head and get wasted. Usually when people do dress up they get the culture wrong. The classic dress ups are the stereo types of what we associate with that culture but are often completely incorrect.

So that's my take on it. When I see a bunch of drunk white American morons on Instagram running around in Indian headgear yeah it grinds my gears.

all of this. thanks for articulating what I have not the energy nor presence of mind tonight to do myself!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post

I think the head dress thing is also bc in Native Indian culture, only certain individuals are given the right to wear the head dress, so it's a massive sign of disrespect to wear it if you haven't earned the right. It'd be like wearing your grandfather's war medals to a fancy dress party.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (12-06-2016),babyno1onboard  (12-06-2016),gingermillie  (12-06-2016),turquoisecoast  (12-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm muddling through my thoughts but I find the example in the OP and video are to CA as the weirdo man hating woman are to feminism.
    I think that with regards to CA, the privileged should listen to the minority because their voices have been silenced for so long.
    It's not up to me as a white woman to say what is CA and what isn't.
    I also think for us as a society in general, when we know better, we should do better. If a minority voice tells us this is hurtful and disrespectful, we should listen because we are growing and evolving as a global community.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (12-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default Cultural appropriation

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I think the head dress thing is also bc in Native Indian culture, only certain individuals are given the right to wear the head dress, so it's a massive sign of disrespect to wear it if you haven't earned the right. It'd be like wearing your grandfather's war medals to a fancy dress party.
    Yep this also. There's just so much that goes wrong when people wear fancy dress it's hard sometimes to know where to begin.