+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Yes this.

My issue with the example in the OP was that is was an individual taking offence. If a large majority of a marginalised group expressed similar views then that's a different kettle of fish. I would respect that.
    But they do. So many black people take issue with it. It's everywhere on the internet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    White people as a group are not marginalised. As in people are not marginalised for being white.
    Oh dear. I don't think this could be further from the truth. i think you need to look at what marginalised is and how it works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Oh dear. I don't think this could be further from the truth. i think you need to look at what marginalised is and how it works.
    I'd be interested to know your views then on this and how it impacts on CA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think its very easy for a white person to ignore racism because white people are not negatively affected by racism. We can seperate ourselves from situations. Black people live these experiences every day or their lives. Micro aggressions get thrown in their face constantly. I as a white person will never understand the kind of things they have to deal with. But i do my best to learn and listen. Its about looking at a situation from someone else's perspective. If the majority or a substantially large amount of a marginalised group says to a dominating group "this makes us ucomfortable because xyz" we shouldnt ignore that.
    I completely agree with you. I get that I have no idea what it is like to be a minority group and I'm always in the group on here that wants empathy and insight into racism. But my main issue here, is can a cultural group own a hair style or art form? Particularly when you can find similar, if not identical examples in other cultures. When you have multiple cultures celebrating the Dead, who is culturally appropriating who?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yes, geographically it is. But it was and still is a different culture.

So if I have dot art on my wall (I love Indigenous art), or an African mask, do you see that as CA? Genuine question btw
    Sorry what i meant was Egypt is in Africa so would have many African people with natural dreads.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    I do know thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think if it was purchased from an indigenous artist and the money went directly to them, it's not necessarily a bad thing at all. Whether it's CA...I'm not comfortable answering that because i dont know. This is coming from someone who's house used to have Budha's and Asian "things" throughout (that was CA to me). I don't even know anything about Buddha! I was being disrespectful, albeit unintentionally. BTW I'm not insinuating you might be racist for having those things in your house.
    No I know you didn't mean that So maybe it's about having a respect and knowledge of 'it' (it being the art, the hair style, the music). I've actually done quite a bit of research and study on dot art in my teaching course, both in my arts and Indigenous modules. What they mean and symbolise, how they differ from tribe to tribe etc. I just find it so beautiful in it's simplicity yet so complex as well. I have no Indigenous heritage at all that I know of.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I completely agree with you. I get that I have no idea what it is like to be a minority group and I'm always in the group on here that wants empathy and insight into racism. But my main issue here, is can a cultural group own a hair style or art form? Particularly when you can find similar, if not identical examples in other cultures. When you have multiple cultures celebrating the Dead, who is culturally appropriating who?
    I don't know the answer to the last question. Cultures will always trickle into other cultures. That will always happen. Its when a dominating group takes bits and pieces they like from a marginalised groups they've treated inhumanely for hundreds of years and continue to that causes the uproar. Or a different group in general although im oversimplifying it.
    Last edited by hopeful1986; 12-06-2016 at 14:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Cultural appropriation

I don't know the answer to the last question. Cultures will always trickle into other cultures. That will always happen. Its when a dominating group takes bits and pieces they like from a marginalised groups they've treated inhumanely for hundreds of years and continue to that causes the uproar. Or a different group in general.
    But only if you're black? If you're part of a white marginal group that been treated like crap you can't complain because you're white?
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 12-06-2016 at 14:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    With the examples in the OP, I think the people need to go out and buy themselves a box of bloody tissues. Culture shouldn't be used as an excuse for those with trouble making tendencies to break the law/engage in criminal behavior/be *********.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

hopeful1986  (12-06-2016),Ngaiz  (12-06-2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast