+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    Egypt is in Africa.

As for Day of the Dead, I don't know the history behind it so I can't offer any knowledge on that. Same with indigenous art. Maybe those indigenous groups came from a similar or same place and that is why their art has similarities. I mean we are talking about a culture maybe tens of thousands of years old. Maybe even more?

Western white culture cant really be appropriated because white people are not a marginalised group.

Marginalised groups see appropriation as diluting, yes. They see it as a group taking meaning from part of their culture. They see it as turning their culture into a commodity while the world continues to treat them like rubbish. It's about taking parts of a culture and twisting it to suit your own intentions.
    Some white people are from a marginalised ethnic group. The Sami from Scandinavia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yes, geographically it is. But it was and still is a different culture.

So if I have dot art on my wall (I love Indigenous art), or an African mask, do you see that as CA? Genuine question btw
    Dot art is actually a big issue as many aboriginal artists do object to the exploitation of aboriginal artists by white people.

Would you buy a didgeridoo because you liked one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Some white people are from a marginalised ethnic group. The Sami from Scandinavia.
    Not the vast majority.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think its very easy for a white person to ignore racism because white people are not negatively affected by racism. We can seperate ourselves from situations. Black people live these experiences every day or their lives. Micro aggressions get thrown in their face constantly. I as a white person will never understand the kind of things they have to deal with. But i do my best to learn and listen. Its about looking at a situation from someone else's perspective. If the majority or a substantially large amount of a marginalised group says to a dominating group "this makes us ucomfortable because xyz" we shouldnt ignore that.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (12-06-2016),babyno1onboard  (12-06-2016),Sonja  (12-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cultural appropriation

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Not the vast majority.
    Of course not, that's why they are a 'minority group'!

Thanks
    Reviews
    White people as a group are not marginalised. As in people are not marginalised for being white.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Dot art is actually a big issue as many aboriginal artists do object to the exploitation of aboriginal artists by white people.

Would you buy a didgeridoo because you liked one?
    But is buying a canvas that an Aboriginal person is selling, then placed on your wall exploitation though? Does that mean only other Aboriginal people can buy the art?

Now if a white person took their designs, then sold them under their name and pocketed the money that's clear exploitation. But if I pay the Indigenous artist for their work and think it is beautiful and therefore display it, how is that exploiting them?

And if so, where is the line? Should white people not listen to rap music? Not wear sarongs? Because really everything in our lives can be tracked back to other cultures.
    Last edited by delirium; 12-06-2016 at 14:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Of course not, that's why they are a 'minority group'!
    You didn't call them that though. I still can't see how that's relevant to this argument.

Anyway I digress

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    If the majority or a substantially large amount of a marginalised group says to a dominating group "this makes us ucomfortable because xyz" we shouldnt ignore that.
    Yes this.

My issue with the example in the OP was that is was an individual taking offence. If a large majority of a marginalised group expressed similar views then that's a different kettle of fish. I would respect that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yes, geographically it is. But it was and still is a different culture.

So if I have dot art on my wall (I love Indigenous art), or an African mask, do you see that as CA? Genuine question btw
    I think if it was purchased from an indigenous artist and the money went directly to them, it's not necessarily a bad thing at all. Whether it's CA...I'm not comfortable answering that because i dont know. This is coming from someone who's house used to have Budha's and Asian "things" throughout (that was CA to me). I don't even know anything about Buddha! I was being disrespectful, albeit unintentionally. BTW I'm not insinuating you might be racist for having those things in your house.