+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It can be confronting to us in different ways because our understanding of it is underpinned by our own definitions/experiences of what it is to be "man" or "woman".
    (Hence terms like transmasculine?)
    I always thought that i understood transgenderism but i suppose this situation makes me question my understanding of it all. Ive spent all day reading Trevors blog and other articles to understand it better. I'm still struggling with it, and starting to stuggle with elements of transgenderism that I'd previously overcome but you could say that i accept it even though i dont "get" it.
    But it can be confusing trying to understand it through our own perceptions and experiences of sex/gender

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoghurt For This Useful Post:

Meg2  (12-06-2016),wobbleyhorse  (12-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    I don't understand the difference between transgender and intersex. Can anyone explain?

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    @J37, this might help.

https://oii.org.au/18194/differences-intersex-trans/

Thanks
    Reviews
    What i found interesting on his blog was a mention of a small interview based study of other trangendered parents and "chestfeeders" and a good reminder that different people would experience this differently regardless of being transgendered. Some would struggle with it whereas others are fine with it because as a pp said, gender isnt binary and our experiences as individuals is varied.
    So as interesting as it is, its not necessarily a representation of all transgendered experiences either

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Men can't have babies, only women. the poster is confused, not being hateful
    Transmen can have babies. Having a vagina doesnt make him a woman. It simply means he has a vagina. Sex and gender are not the same thing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (13-06-2016)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Well, that opened my eyes

One of the many reasons I wish people would stop saying "do you know the gender of your baby?"

Sex is physical, it's the parts you're born with. Gender is socially constructed and does not necessarily align with what you were born with.

I know the sex of my baby - she's a girl. But her gender? I won't know until she's older and has waded through life and determined it herself. It's most likely she will identify as a female, but we know there's a chance she won't, as well. Same for our son.

As explained, a transgender person has the sexual organs of one sex, but their gender aligns with the opposite.

It's different once again to sexuality, which is identification as one or more of LGBTIQA+.

It is perfectly possible to be born a female, identify as a male, and give birth and breastfeed if that's what you wish.

And considering how not having a uterus makes it much more difficult for your average homosexual male couple to conceive, if I had the equipment I would use it, even if I didn't necessarily identify as a woman.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

A&S  (12-06-2016),delirium  (12-06-2016),HippyGirl85  (12-06-2016),Renn  (12-06-2016),rusty22  (12-06-2016),Tiny Dancer  (12-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think what is confusing is that the words "man" and "woman" are being used to describe sex (cis or trans) but then using the same words in the context of gender whilst saying they're not the same thing.
    So a ciswoman can be confused by a transwoman and think "how can you identify with my gender when my gender is defined by my sex and all the experiences ive had as a ciswoman?" It is still our understanding of what it means to be a "man" or "woman". I find the use of those words more confusing than anything. I think i prefer using the masculine / feminine scale for this reason.
    Sorry for rambling. Just trying to explain where some genuine confusion/misunderstanding can come from

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoghurt For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (12-06-2016),Meg2  (12-06-2016)