+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gestational diabetes test at 6 weeks

Hi everyone I am 5 weeks pregnant and just got the results from my blood tests. My HCG levels are great but my sugar levels were 5.1 Which is apparently the level for possible GT. I now have to have the glucose challenge test this week and eat a high carb diet for 3 days before the test. I'm worried whether it is safe for the baby? If I do have GT surely eating the high carb diet for 3 days can't be good for the baby? I'm just really scared cause this is my 2nd pregnancy my last one ended in a missed miscarriage at 12 weeks. I was really shocked because My BMI is perfect and I eat really well and walk everyday.
    Thanks for any advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm surprised they are testing so early? Is there a reason they are? I wasn't tested until 26 weeks and it came back as GD. I've also never heard of going on the high carb diet beforehand... The high carb diet should be ok with bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    GD has nothing to do with your BMI or fitness, its to do with your placenta and your body not able to produce enough insulin. Unfortunately there isn't anything you can do to change whether you get it or not.

I don't understand why they want you to eat a high carb diet for 3 days, as you need to fast before the GD test anyway?

Try not to stress too much, im sure everything will be ok Even if you do have GD it's not the end of the world. I know when i found out i had it, i felt terrible and that i had been eating badly to cause it to happen, but the midwife went on to assure me that it's nothing that i had done.

Keep up the walking though as exercise is a good way to maintain it if you do have it As well as a low carb diet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was also told to go on a high carb diet for three days leading up to the GD test, as were many of my mummy friends.

Sorry can't help with anything else but the high carb thing is normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Last pregnancy I had the GTT before 12w as well as later in pregnancy. I have never been told to ear differently before the test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @KiraM I did the high carb diet with my first bub but they said it wasn't necessary with this one. I really don't think that diet would harm your bub at all. I guess seeing as your levels came back a bit high they want to catch it as early as possible.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey, I've had to do the glucose challenge test for all my full term preg (4) and I did it once after my last Bub and every time I get told a different thing about the lead up diet! I tend to just eat normally. I've always had a healthy diet and appropriate bmi, even a bit low. I was tested positive (around 26weeks) for 3/4. All bubs were diet managed. My androcronolgist (incorrect spelling sorry) said if I had another preg they would test right at the beginning. I'm under the impression they are doing this often now. I'm also almost 5weeks. Fx we both make it to 12weeks and beyond! I've also had miscarriages in the past. Pm me if you like, I have loads of diabetes tips!! Xxoo

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for the replies I'm going to doctor tomorrow so will ask her some more questions so I feel more at ease. Thanks Goosey I will let you know how the test goes and the results. Yes hopefully we both make it all the way this time I don't know about you but I'm so anxious and stressed about every little pain I just wish I could be more positive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, I'm the same. Sadly, not particularly excited atm. Just feeling a bit..... nothing really.