+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I went cold turkey with DD, night weaned her at 12 months. Tried gentle approaches to no avail. I'm not much help but thought I'd share what I did anyway.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

blissfulfairy  (12-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Why type of foods and how much?
    Plenty of protein (meat) and carb? Milk after solids?
    There are plenty of sources of protein that aren't meat. We are vegeterian. Our diet is well planned and she should be getting everything she needs (nutritionally) from the food she eats. Her favourite foods would definitely be home made treats - I bake alot - and chips on the odd occasion. I try to limit the intake of processed / sugary foods though, for all of us not just bub! I'm not at all worried about that.

I get that you're probably trying to ensure that she's eating appropriately, but really the only thing I'm trying to figure out is how best to wean her off the night feeds.

She's slept with me every night for her entire life and never been refused boob, so of course she's not going to like it and it's going to be a big adjustment.

Night 2 was better than night 1, so I think we're on the right track.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like night 2 was great progress at @blissfulfairy!

My dd was the same as yours in that we've always coslept and she'd had free boob access. I took a similar approach to night weaning as you are though dd continued to sleep in the bed with me. For us night 4 was the toughest and she actually bit me in frustration that night. After that it got much easier and she stopped even asking for bfs in the night after a week. We still cosleep and it's been a month since she weaned now. She sleeps from 8pm to 5:30. So there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
    A couple of things that helped us:
    1) I kept talking to her and explaining what was happening "the milk is sleeping honey. There'll be milk when the sun comes up."
    2) I did offer cow's milk in a cup when she got super worked up. It seemed to give her something she could say yes to. Almost a sense of still having some control I guess. The cups of milk were very short lived but were useful for about a week.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

blissfulfairy  (13-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I night weaned my 14 month old by having my DH do the resettling overnight. I slept in the spare room and they had our bed. Within a few days I could return to the bed and resettle him without boob. He had a 5am feed for a couple of weeks but that has since ceased and he also day weaned himself. We still co-sleep because we don't mind

7. The Following User Says Thank You to loveislikeabutterfly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    For us the first couple nights were tough initially getting him to sleep but after that it became very easy. I went from boobing him which took hours sometimes to being able to just lay next to him whilst he drifts off. He now sleeps through the night too and he never used to do that.

I promise it gets easier

9. The Following User Says Thank You to loveislikeabutterfly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the support. Its definitely getting easier!

DH did so great the first 2 nights. Last night I slept with her. She got a bit upset a couple of times but only lost it once. I just kept cuddling and rocking / patting and speaking to her and she went back to sleep relatively quickly considering. Woke up at 4.55, had some boobie, and went back to sleep until 6. I think we're doing quite well and I'm really proud of miss.

I'm thinking if tonight goes well again then tomorrow night we'll move back to the bedroom :-) I might give my neighbours an advanced apology just incase she gets too worked up!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to blissfulfairy For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (13-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by blissfulfairy View Post
    There are plenty of sources of protein that aren't meat. We are vegeterian. Our diet is well planned and she should be getting everything she needs (nutritionally) from the food she eats. Her favourite foods would definitely be home made treats - I bake alot - and chips on the odd occasion. I try to limit the intake of processed / sugary foods though, for all of us not just bub! I'm not at all worried about that.

I get that you're probably trying to ensure that she's eating appropriately, but really the only thing I'm trying to figure out is how best to wean her off the night feeds.

She's slept with me every night for her entire life and never been refused boob, so of course she's not going to like it and it's going to be a big adjustment.

Night 2 was better than night 1, so I think we're on the right track.
    1. Of course there sources of protein other than meat.
    2. There *can* be a link between solid intake during the day and milk intake at night. Too much milk may be impacting solid intake or vice versa. Looking at the bigger picture *may* help with night weaning (or may not).
    3. If you are certain habit is the key driver (and not other factors such as room temp, day naps, solid v milk etc). Then you could either go cold turkey or slowly wean back (slowly reduce size if feeds, wait a few minutes longer each night before giving a feed).

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    1) I kept talking to her and explaining what was happening "the milk is sleeping honey. There'll be milk when the sun comes up."
    Although DS was older when night weaning I think this helped.

I made sure to tell him before sleep and then at night.

Its hard but good to see there is improvement!

(Just an FYI and not to scare you but DS who was fine without milk started asking again about a month later. It may not happen but if it does - it happened to me so may be completely normal!)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    She did so well last night!! Woke twice, cried for a minute or 2 but I did the usual "no booby, boobs are sleeping" cuddled her and back to sleep! She woke at 5 as usual, fed, and is still asleep now almost 1.5 hours later :-)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to blissfulfairy For This Useful Post:

Tiny Dancer  (14-06-2016)