+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Night weaning 15 month old...help..

So miss 15 months has co slept pretty much her whole life. She's never been a great sleeper - I went through a phase I
    afew months ago where I wanted her in her cot. I spent over an hout every night for 2 weeks battling her to sleep in there, when she'd wake up an hour or 2 later and we'd go through the same thing. Needless to say, we gave up.

She still breastfeeds. Only twice, maybe three times during the day. And after dinner. Then overnight, she wakes up alot (every 2 hours is a rare, good night for us!) I get sleep since we share the bed, but I'm getting a bit over it. She is SO reliant on the boob to sleep. I don't want to wean her completely, just overnight. I've tried settling her by patting, dummy, introducing comforter etc, and she becomes hysterical.

Hubby is on holidays at the moment, so now is the best time to do it. Last night hubby coslept with miss on a mattress in the lounge.
    (Side note, we live in a semi so our bedroom wall is shared with our elderly neighbours bedroom wall, and we didn't want to subject them to the crying.)
    I fed her after dinner as usual. She woke an hour later as usual but I got her to go back to sleep by rocking, cuddling and continously putting the dummy back in.
    She slept okayish. From 11-3 she was very unsettled. Went between absolute hysterics to a whimper and back again. She was offered (and drank alot of) water in a bottle. I then fed her at 5.15 (she has always woken super early but doesn't normally want boob until much later in the day)

We were going to do the same thing again tonight. Then tomorrow night or maybe the one after, I take over and sleep with her.

Are we on the right track?? Any tips to night wean bubs over 12 months??

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like you're off to great start! There's a thread called the toddler weaning room that you might find useful. I'll bump it up for you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

blissfulfairy  (11-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you thought about a sleep consultant? If you're in Brissie then the 'baby sleep company' is meant to be good. They do phone consultations too I think. Sounds like you've already done a fab job but a little extra help might be good. Just a suggestion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've been trying an adapted version of Dr Jay Gordon's night weaning method on the advice of @Rose&Aurelia&Hannah. My adaptation is in the toddler weaning room thread that @BettyV bumped for you. We've kind of hit a wall though, and we're stuck on one feed a night at 3:30ish. He still wakes at 12:30, 4:30/5, 6:30ish (sometimes he won't do that one and it's amazing) and up for the day around 7/7:30.

My monkey has always been a frequent night waker, so this is pretty good for us. I've been using a sleep consultant who has helped us to improve to this point; he was down to one night waking a while ago, but sickness/teeth/routine disruption/travelling have all been one after the other for months.

You're doing well. No one technique will work exactly for every baby and their family. It's a matter of finding the right bits and tweaking to suit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

blissfulfairy  (11-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was older when we weaned but pretty much was similar to Dr Jay Gordan's method. It is gentle and worked. For me it was finding the feed he though he 'needed' and I got rid of the others first.

How does she eat in the day?

Thanks
    Reviews
    She eats all day. She has a preference for sweet/processed foods 😠 which I try to limit.

Currently lying in bed listening to her scream for the last 45 mins and wondering if it's worth it and if she's actually learning anything about settling without boob, as she is hysterical. My husband is so calm and patient with her.

I really want to go to her but I don't think that will help in the long run. This is so hard. 😭 About to go find that toddler weaning thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hun the best way to help bub to sleep through the night is to not aid bub to sleep. Ditch the dummy. Introduce a comforter. Have 20 mins active play after the last milk feed before bed. Don't feed/pat/hold etc bub to sleep. Shush/pat bub to the point of being drowsy, not asleep.
    Be consistent with the night routine.
    If hubby is off work how about you knocking off 7/00pm each night and going to are a movie?

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well just after I posted that she fell asleep and slept until 5.15 this morning. She fed and went back to sleep!! A first!! Hubby said she was pretty much on top of him all night - but that's how she sometimes is with me anyway, lol.

I'm not going to ditch the dummy at this stage. I don't want to take everything away at once. That just seems cruel. I'm not even trying to get her out of our bed (I don't really want her out of our bed).

Oh, and most nights she doesn't fall asleep on the boob when she goes to bed... she'll have dinner, bath, play/book, feed, cuddles and eventually fall asleep around 7ish.

She's pretty much had no routine for her whole life. (I mean, we do the same things every evening with all the kids, but she goes to sleep with us in the lounge then is carried to bed when I go, every day is different as we only have one car and therefore have to drop DH at uni / work at different times, as well as the school drop/pick up etc)

Every so often I've tried to implement one, but after 2-3 weeks of her not taking to it and all of us becoming stressed about it we give up.... because its not worth the battle. It won't last forever.

We've hit the point now where the one thing I want to change is the night feeding. If she then self weans during the day so be it, but I really hope she doesn't.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to blissfulfairy For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (12-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by blissfulfairy View Post
    Oh, and most nights she doesn't fall asleep on the boob when she goes to bed... she'll have dinner, bath, play/book, feed, cuddles and eventually fall asleep around 7ish.

How does bub fall asleep? By herself? Or with mum and dad cuddling?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by blissfulfairy View Post
    She eats all day. She has a preference for sweet/processed foods 😠 which I try to limit.
    Why type of foods and how much?
    Plenty of protein (meat) and carb? Milk after solids?