+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default After surgery pain and management

Hi.

I have surgery next month to as I have to get one of my ovaries removed as they found a large growth/cyst on it and can't remove just the cyst.

Anyway it's not the surgery I'm worried about its more afterwards unfortunately it's not keyhole so they are making the incision on my bikini line and doing open surgery.

So I guess my questions is ladies who have had this type surgery I guess c-section too.
    What is the best clothing to wear afterwards?
    How much pain and for how long did it last for?
    What did you do to relieve the pain?
    When could you drive after?

Anything else??

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've had a cesarean before. Loose clothing was the most comfortable, and nothing rubbing on the incision. Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    To save buying new underwear, you can tuck a clean sanitary pad in between the elastic of your underwear and the incision if that's where the elastic sits. Will stop it rubbing and protect it too.

Regular pain relief for the first few days - Panadol every 4-6hrs four times a day and Nurofen every 6-8hrs three times a day. They may give you something stronger to take post op at home, but always go Panadol/nurofen first and then the stronger stuff.

Heat is a wonderful thing. Check with your surgeon that they're happy for you to use heat post op. I lived with a heat pack tucked in the front of my pants after my laparoscopy (but I think that was more from the gas as they only removed a couple of small adhesions).

Not sure if they'll use the gas to expand your abdomen a bit, but if they do it's common to get shoulder tip pain from it a day or 2 post op. It's very normal and heat + analgesia should help.

Loose clothing on your bottom half is a good thing. Track pants, dresses etc. Stay away from tight things like jeans until any bloating settles down. A week after my lap I still couldn't button my jeans. I had to do the hair tie looped between the button/button hole trick to be able to leave the house.

As a follow on, if you can stay close to home for about a week post, do it. You'll probably not feel like going out and about anyway, plus you can wear comfy clothes at home without a care for how you look. Double bonus!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies very helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a laparotomy (through the bikini line) last year to reattach my tubes after having a tubal ligation. I'll admit, I found this a lot more painful than my 3 c/s even when going through the same incision. Best advice I could give is to hope up and move around as soon as you can, done stay in bed as the longer you stay put, the harder to move it is. Also continue on your pain relief without missing any dose for the first 3-5 days, don't wear tight clothes - harems, yoga pants or comfy loose trackies (I love the elastic banded bonds trackies) are perfect afterwards. As for underwear I never did granny undies, I found Kmart cheap low cart undies in a bigger size were more comfortable but if they get annoying as M'LadyEm said pop a pad over the incision.

I drove within the week perfectly fine but speak with your surgeon about when is the right time. Pain will be worse for the first 3 days and slowly start to ease but don't over do it even when you're feeling ok, it can cause more pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks BabyG4.

I've got a pair of leggings/yoga pants and some loose exercise pants/cargo pants and track pants though I'll probably be in my pjs for a lot of it 😁.
    Yeah I just brought some low bikini undies thinking they would be ok.
    I'll be in hospital for at least 5 days so hoping/guessing they'll give me some pain killers but will stock up on some for home.

Did you have to change your dressings at all over the cut or once the operation was over u didn't need any?

Sorry this is my first ever surgery so unsure of everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yes, they'll definitely give you some pain meds during your stay and possibly send you home with a script for more.
    I never had to change my dressing. Before I left, the nurses redressed it and told me to keep the dressing on for 2 weeks before removing it. If you have stitches on the outside they'll probably remove them before you leave hospital. I had stitches for my c/s which were removed on day 5, they didn't hurt at all. I only had dissolvable ones for the surgery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks BabyG4 for answering.

Did you have to have a follow up with you surgeon after being discharged from hospital or did he/she just see you while still in hospital and that was it then follow up with your gp?

Thanks for answering.
    Last edited by Mum to a miracle; 11-06-2016 at 22:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a follow up at 6 weeks after surgery. They usually have a look at the incision and make sure everything is healing ok, and pain has eased. Hope all goes well for the surgery and you recovery fast!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a laparotomy (vertical incision) 2 months ago to remove my ovary due to a 16cm cyst. Unfortunately I can't answer how recovery goes with a horizontal incision but I'll try to answer some of you questions

I found most clothes too uncomfortable to wear. Best thing for me has been a skirt but that get's hard with this cold weather. Very loose trackies have been my next go to. Anything that's fitted (leggings etc) will probably irritate you.

It is quite painful but manageable if you keep up with your pain meds. My pain lasted quite a while due to complications but I was told before surgery about 3 weeks.

I was on Oxycodone and Panadol in hospital then oxycodone & ibuprofen when I got home. Once my pain settled more I then changed to panadeine forte & ibuprofen.

I wasn't going to be allowed to drive for at least 2 weeks. As a result from the complications I had it ended up being 4-5 weeks.

Putting a pad in your knickers, as suggested by others, is a great idea. It does give some relief from the pressure of your knickers sitting on the scar. Make sure you rest as much as possible afterwards as energy levels are really low.

Getting up after a day or 2 is recommended, even just to sit in a chair. If you have a catheter in, they won't normally let you up until that is removed.

You will most likely also have a drain or 2 at least for a couple of days.

My surgeon saw me every day while in hospital and I returned to him the week after I was discharged to have stitches removed.

Happy to try and answer any other questions
    Last edited by hoping4asticky1; 12-06-2016 at 18:33.