+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm having trouble with this myself. I have a 3yo and a newborn. DS1 is a really sweet little boy who is rarely intentionally naughty but I'm just so freaking tired that I have no patience at all. I hear myself sometimes and I don't like what I hear.

So I get it. We know it's all hard for them too and their behaviour us normal for toddlers. That they're good kids who deserve patience and understanding. For me, at the moment, I have zero reserves and very little patience.

I'm accepting help from pretty much anyone who offers, particularly looking after DS1. I think it's best until I'm getting more sleep.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    3 year olds are so fun! My gorgeous toddler went from an easy two year old to a threenager almost overnight. She is still beautiful but sometimes I honestly don't recognise her! We have battles over clothes etc too and sometimes I explode too. Sounds lame but I really found taking three deep breaths really helped. The 1,2,3 magic has helped a bit too.
    When my newborn had colic hubby and I lost it many a times. I would sometimes have a shower just to drown out the noise and cry. I found writing positive affirmations on s piece of paper in the bathroom helped like "she is only a newborn... People would give anything to have a baby.... She is in pain.... Etc etc". And reading these to myself really really helped when I felt myself about to lose it.

I can so relate to this. I have a 3yo and a baby. The 3yo is UNBELIEVEABLY impossible. Defiance is his absolute specialty and I get so angry with him that I sometimes worry that I'm going to kill him. He makes me insanely angry. You are not alone.

We are trying 1-2-3 Magic and so far it's helping both with his behaviour and my ability to stay calm. We are only just getting into it, but I'm hopeful that the technique of emotionless counting and a separate time out place where I can't be tempted to kill him is going to improve our lives.