+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Stuff like this makes me thankful I only have boys. The sexualisation of girls at such an early age is just scary. Yes I'm sure it's all a bit of fun, but if a 6 year old is pouting and fluttering her eye lashes like this already, it's scary to think how early all the other adult things will come around.

I personally wouldn't be encouraging it. Then again, I have no idea what else her parents encourage. this could be one of a thousand other hobbies of hers, but this definitely isn't something I would allow.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (11-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Stuff like this makes me thankful I only have boys. The sexualisation of girls at such an early age is just scary. Yes I'm sure it's all a bit of fun, but if a 6 year old is pouting and fluttering her eye lashes like this already, it's scary to think how early all the other adult things will come around.

I personally wouldn't be encouraging it. Then again, I have no idea what else her parents encourage. this could be one of a thousand other hobbies of hers, but this definitely isn't something I would allow.
    I often hear this comment ('It's stuff like this that makes me thankful I only have boys') and it makes me upset and frustrated. Because it's parents of boys who, in some respects, have a much more daunting task when it comes to sex and relationships....To teach their sons about respect towards women and girls, about consent and how to navigate the pressures of masculinity. (BTW @witherwings this is not having a go at you).

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TreeGirl For This Useful Post:

Full House  (15-06-2016),misskittyfantastico  (11-06-2016),PomPoms  (11-06-2016),smallpotatoes  (12-06-2016),Stretched  (15-06-2016),~Marigold~  (11-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    I often hear this comment ('It's stuff like this that makes me thankful I only have boys') and it makes me upset and frustrated. Because it's parents of boys who, in some respects, have a much more daunting task when it comes to sex and relationships....To teach their sons about respect towards women and girls, about consent and how to navigate the pressures of masculinity. (BTW @witherwings this is not having a go at you).
    I have one daughter and two sons and it is equally daunting in terms of how to raise respectful humans.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (11-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I have one daughter and two sons and it is equally daunting in terms of how to raise respectful humans.
    Yes I agree, I think each have their issues and I think young boys/men these days have huge body image pressure on them too. Different from young girls and young women (i.e it's about living up to the masculine 'ideal' of muscles, toughness etc) but that doesn't mean it's less pressure for them to navigate it's just different. I feel sorry for all kids now actually it must be so hard growing up I think it was much easier 30 years ago in a way 😔 and I want to wrap my DD in bubble wrap and hide her away until she's 30.
    Sorry off topic op.
    I don't like the subtextual meaning of little girls putting on makeup., especially in this purposeful way. I wear makeup (not much just tinted moisturiser, lippy and mascara) and I wonder what my 11 month old DD thinks when she watches me put it on and when she sees me without it on. I would actually prefer she didn't see me putting it on. I wait for the day when she asks why I put the stuff on my face. How do I explain that? I don't want her thinking that she needs to cover up her natural self, that she's not good enough the way she is. But I feel that that is what I'm saying about myself and it becomes a bit hypocritical for me to say she shouldn't do it 😖 I hope that makes sense. I want my DD to be healthy, wholesome, confident and not too image conscious. I don't know where my image insecurity came from but it hit with a vengeance around 13-14 and has plagued me ever since. I want my DD to have a much healthier body image than me.
    Gah I thought baby sleeping and feeding routines were hard 😳

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't turn the thread into a battle of the sexes fight pease it wasn't about that!!!
    I often wonder the same thing about me putting on quite a bit of make up every day and t daughter will one day watch me and ask why or copy in my foot steps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Reneeharry View Post
    I often wonder the same thing about me putting on quite a bit of make up every day and t daughter will one day watch me and ask why or copy in my foot steps
    My DS1 has caught me putting on make up (foundation/powder) and he asked me what I was doing.
    Good question and I couldn't think of a good enough reason that would explain wtf I would put make up on. Been doing it since I was 16 yet couldn't see why I was doing it. I don't want DS1 to think women need to 'make themselves up' to be of worth in society. In the end I told DS1 I was putting special cream on my face. Now I make sure DS sees me without make up most of the time (except for work) and I try to avoid him seeing me put make up for work.

I am so worried about the messaging I am sending my DS .... I am gobsmacked at what the heck the parents of this 6 year old are doing and wonder what the heck they are thinking - haven't they thought of the long term imprint that will be left on their child as a result of all this focus on her looks?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Yoghurt  (12-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Just found this online...Attachment 81898
    Why do all the "before" dolls look like prostitutes? Is this what girls like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    You misunderstand me - I'm not saying that girls who doll themselves up with makeup and dress like adults at the age of 11 are not respectful human beings. And I don't think the parents are "to blame" so to speak. It's more about my fear of how much more I would worry about them getting hurt or abused. that's not to say that I don't worry about my boys in that regard (I think about it often and I doubt any loving parent stops worrying about their children, ever), but you can't deny that a small girl who is dolled up like a young adult is in some way in a higher level of danger than a boy the same age. Either from predators, boys, other girls or society judging them. I do remember being a teenager and starting to wear makeup and thinking about sex and dressing in provocative ways to get attention from boys (and men) at a young age - that was when I was 15. Now I'm seeing girls who haven't even reached puberty doing the same thing. It's scary!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    Why do all the "before" dolls look like prostitutes? Is this what girls like?
    Sadly it's what parents seem perfectly happy to supply their children with as toys. Personally I think it's nuts.